3.2 Feedback and Suggestions

Maybe they did test before release and maybe those testers should get a big fat pink slip or maybe just a big you’re fired now go!

2 Likes

When you change something it should be to make it better and faster not to make people not know what the hell they are doing which this has accomplished,

1 Like

It could be very nice to summarize all the feedbacks as others said before.
But I guess resuming 240 posts in not an easy task…

Don’t know if it was already said but after a battle we have the new summary and after an old-fashioned animation to show how much trophies/PVP points we get.
Should this animation be removed or not? I guess yes, but would like an offcicial answer :wink: .

1 Like

also love how for longest time people have wanted explore/challenge to stay open and not go back to kingdom screen each time so what do they do?they dont do that and on top of it add to more clicks! skip button and an extra continue click lolol

10 Likes

Basically, 3.2 is typical of all the recent releases. Some good ideas completely destroyed by sloppy quality control. We have come to expect every major release to be alpha code and we are the testers - certainly you don’t seem to be able to test very well.

UI changes - not a fan of the “collectible card game” interface. Beautiful art but makes lots of things very hard to see or read. Changes that hide information or make the game more difficult to play - like scrolling through creatures in team selection.

Balancing - Wisp is still broken. So it went from 3 mana to cast on the first turn to 3 mana to cast on the first turn. Basically, a cheaper Charm and Jumble than the original creatures cost.

Bug fix - good to react fast. Horrible temp fix - basically, you should have just banned the creatures until you figured out the coding issue.

Lots of creatures no longer actually do exactly whats on the description. Lots of hidden “rules” like traits only triggering once per match group. No way to figure that out without reading ALL of the release notes.

Suggestions:

Remove anything faster than “fast” as a trait - no empowered, etc. This will slow down the starting of the game.

Limit 4 or 5 matches to bonuses to my team - no hurt the other team.

Limit any gem creation to a max of 25. Fixes trolls, bone dragon, etc.

Remove anything that is instant kill - Assassination, devour, death mark, etc.

Do NOT try to balance a trait/spell by using a random number generator. That just typically makes it a defense sleaze skill - not dependable for a real team, but generates a random win.

Fix the cascade code - I understand the desire to avoid having to jumble the board when all moves are gone, but using cheat style code to change the drops to FORCE matches occur is a bad solution - basically, it lets the game decide to win on defense.

Better AI based upon team point value - game AI does sees 3/4/5 matches and grabs its colors first and denies me mine - good. Game AI does not understand how to use a 3 match to cascade a 4 match - should be easy to code. Force opponent move - leave only 1 match type code. Basically, tier the AI to be better.

PVP - limit defenders to + or - 1000 points versus invader. My 9900 team should never be seeing 1000 point teams but does all the time. Pretty much no 8K team is going to challenge a 10K team unless exploiting a bug/rng win.

Publish what creatures are supposed to do - similar or even same wording seems to do different things - skull matches versus skull damage for example.

4 Likes

Please, please, please put a gray backdrop on the gems playing board so I can see the game clearly without straining my eyes and catching a headache. Until they have time to fix everything else at least do this to make the game at least playable.

2 Likes

The transparent background is killing me.

2 Likes

May as well throw in my two cents here.

I’m not opposed to change. However I think the new UI throws away the fantasy aesthetic for absolutely no reason. TBH I didn’t think too much about the Soulforge/Dungeon UI when that first appeared, as I think a lot of us didn’t, but they don’t really fit the game well as an overall aesthetic. I won’t go into the many, many readability issues because others have covered that a lot better than I ever could, so let’s just talk aesthetics.

First, let’s start with the good part: I think the arrangement of icons and whatnot is fine; at least I have no opinion one way or the other about where things are placed around the screen. And as others have said, the new filter options are great. I like that I can see gold-per-hour too. Now the bad stuff.

Why is the font a generic sans-serif instead of the old serif that had a nice fantasy-friendly style? The old font was easier to read and simply fit the game better. The new one feels bureaucratic.

Was anything really wrong with the way the old interface buttons looked? They had a nice style that said “This is a fantasy game.” The new ones have a very bland style that says “We’ve abandoned all pretense that this is anything but numbers being pushed around.” Actually that might be a bit harsh; those icons would look perfectly fine in a sci-fi setting. This isn’t one.

The new display for kingdom stars is kinda horrid. The old way was aesthetically pleasing; this one not so much.

The names of the kingdoms have that same white-text-on-black-bar that’s seen every single other place in the interface. They deserve to stand out more and look like they mean something, like they used to.

Why are the nice decorative card borders gone? They looked good and fit the fantasy theme. The new minimalist look does not, and that applies to all aspects of the card display. Again, I think a lot of us didn’t pay enough attention to complain about this in the last update; I don’t think it sunk in that this was where we were going.

Why is the kingdom still not listed on the card? That was a bug introduced in 3.1–yes I’m calling it a bug–that should have been fixed.

Cards are still tiny and cramped on an iPad display. Really? They were too small in the 3.1 update compared to previous versions, and that should have been fixed. Going to a brand new even-worse cramped display is no good.

Why hasn’t Fizzbang been fixed yet? For crying out loud, she should explode every time, period. Fewer gems, sure, and maybe with a reduced stat boost, but the nerf that was done on her was badly thought-out and the way community feedback was flatly ignored is basically this whole update in a microcosm.

On the non-UI side, I will say two very positive things. First, the change to the way matches resolve fixed the issue where the Kraken was overpowered, and I thank you sincerely for that. That was a very wise bug fix.

Second, nerfing the Wisp somewhat was a good idea. It didn’t go far enough, but this was a good start. Because it has four different nasty abilities all in one spell, it really ought to have one of those abilities removed. Currently it’s like a superpowered version of the War Sphinx. I propose nixing its extra turn. Getting rid of its Swift trait would also be a good idea; I can’t think of a good reason for a troop with a four-ability spell to start so fast.

6 Likes

I’m getting tired of losing battles on my cell phone when I merely lose connection. Since you’re in contact with the server anyway, if you lose contact in a battle (particularly in a guild wars battle) you have the option to complete the battle first before doing anything else when you log back in. Some people have complained this might be abused. I don’t see how if designed properly. The idea is you have to pick up the battle from where you lost connection or accept the loss when you first get back into the game. You don’t have an option to do anything else.

Also with my recent problems with my laptop (I wound up having to get a new one) it would be nice to be able to simply log in with a user id and password to any account on any device you have the game on. (poxNora has this. The game starts and loads the main elements of the game then asks for userid and password. You put it in and go on your merry way. You could have multiple accounts if you wanted.) The present linking to an email and device is cumbersome and frankly confusing as well as risky. Chances are the email account is on the same device the game is on so linking to that account really doesn’t help. Also I saw the password it gave me for my account on the cell phone. I’m sorry, but that password is absolutely useless to me and I had no way to change it.

I don’t like this linking to an email account because I had serious difficulty changing the email accounts for my Steam account to something that I could access.

I can’t play shooter games, flying, or most of the movable games because I have the problem with 3d and motion sickness.

I have only been able to play today for 10 minutes without having to take time away - the transparency layers is what is causing motion in my eyes

I really dislike companies that change UI thinking it’s an improvement when in fact it’s worse than before.

I thought 3.1 was hard to adapt to…

Now I have to make a choice, get sick to play or not play at all.

Really sad @Sirrian @Nimhain - if nothing else give us a chance to have the old version for those of us who really are being affected by the wildness of the layering and motion.

5 Likes

I dislike the new UI. Why was it changed while the community didn’t ask for it?

I suggest to add a way to go back to the old interface or to rollback these changes as clearly the majority doesn’t enjoy this update.

9 Likes

Very well stated, Here, here!

1 Like

Feedback - awful. game Killer.

Suggestion - flush it. and leave the fan on.

Dev’s, you’ve worked hard and earned a lot of love, but you need to turn the clock back, and fast.

How long could it take for consoles to approve an already approved version? Swallow your pride and take it as a learning experience. Say sorry, and don’t look back.

Or watch as a lot of people ($) say sorry, and won’t look back.

I’m trying to keep playing, but enjoyment is near nil.

5 Likes

(New to forum posting so hopefully this thing works),

But yeah all the suggestions and ‘comments’ on feedback to the recent patch can pretty much be summed up like this -

Bring back the old UI immediately if not sooner (lol),

as there are simply too many technical points to mention to describe what a mess it is.

It goes without saying the ‘style’ is horrendous, some of the best lines include, “It’s now soulless”, “It’s lost it’s fantasy game appeal”, “trying to be all techy and space- like”.

“Icons look like place-holders”. etc etc

This seems like a bad joke at best and an attempt to destroy their own game at worst,

Countless people have left (the game) real-time while saying their good-byes in global chat (again, due to the UI change), countless have seen people leaving after saying good-bye in the forums.

Really I don’t know how long this can go on and not appear to be a blatant attempt at the self-destruction of the game.

k…

3 Likes

Yeah this is rough. Im gm in top 20 guild and feel like im going to lose several over this. Im going to have enough trouble hitting minimums myself now. After playing about a half hour i have a horrible headache. This sucks

5 Likes

Ricky’s → " Now let me ask you, what was wrong with the old UI? Imagine all the time saved if they didin’t change it "

Exactly, anyone ‘defending’ the UI (whether supposedly 'liking it or not") somehow missed the first most critically important point that – There Was Nothing Wrong With It To Begin With –

Until we get some straight answers from the devs -why- they felt the need to ‘change’ it to begin with,

then all of this mess is highly ‘suspect’.

(Meaning there’s something really strange going on here…)

5 Likes

The new UI has taken away a lot of the ‘charm’ of the game for me.
I now realize what an amazing UI GOW used to have, and how important UI really is in a game.
I will keep playing, but I want so bad for the UI art style to go back to the glorious piece of art I now realise it was.

1 Like

It’s been 24 hours now and I still don’t like the new UI but I don’t hate it as much as I did yesterday so I think I’ll probably get used to it.

What I don’t like about this update

I still hate the board it is really hard to see I keep missing moves and it hurts my eyes hopefully it will be better when it’s changed in the new update.

I hate how small the stats are on troops and how crammed together they are my troops keep dying because it’s hard to see their health and that they can’t take the skulls I left for the ai

I hate not being able to see my bonuses on the world map. I do a lot of arena and when I do I switch to celestial armor but sometimes I forget to or I forget to switch to Dragon armor for pvp before I used to be able to see what armor I was wearing before entering pvp or the arena

I don’t like the chests now. I liked the easy to see the list.

I don’t like that I can’t see the text a lot of the text now. I can’t even read the team score in the spoiler

Summary

I hate that I can’t see what the previous troops were that I chose in arena sometimes I forget that I chose a red common and then I choose a red/yellow ultra rare and either it gets blocked by runic blade and the common or the common has to get blocked by the ultra rare.

What I like

I love the artwork for the hero weapons

I love the new search filters

I like the new tribute screen now I can see how many keys gems, and glory I got without it disappearing before I finished looking at it

I like how easy it is to see what my defend teams are in GW

I like having my souls on the world map

I like how Krystenax and Elspeth now show how many of each colour gem is on the board

I already upgraded my sentinels so I can’t test it out but I assume I will like being able to upgrade them multiple times instead of one level at a time

3 Likes

I was going to share my thoughts on the new UI here, like I did in GoW’s Facebook page, but after reading all your comments, fellow players, I feel most of what I was going to say had aleady been said. In short, I do not like the new UI (the look or feel), find it difficult to play as it does hurt my eyes in under an hour of game time, and I hope they either vastly (And I mean VASTLY) improve this new UI, or (and this is what I would prefer), go back to the old UI and just touch that one up with new features and search options, but keep the same look and general functionality.

So, instead of writing paragraph after paragraph of my thoughts on the new update, I will instead leave a comment from the Gems of War Facebook page that they have been copying and pasting on there for the last few hours, and you, fellow players, can do with this comment what you will. Here it is:

"Unfortunately, we will not be rolling back to the old version.

Regarding the new UI update, we have been going through a lot of player feedback and will be pushing out additional fixes and changes as soon as we can. (We are hoping for this to happen early next week, pending on the approval process time.) These will include improvements to the readability of the font and the UI as a whole."

My thoughts on their comment? Well, first, to put it bluntly, slapping ‘lipstick’ on their New UI ‘pig’ is not going to do much of anything, except anger us even further, because, we, the players, are not being listened to. Secondly, if it is true that the old UI is dead and gone, well, I know many players (including myself) that will either be quitting Gems of War, entirely, or, at the very least, cutting back their in game time (and real money spending), drastically.

So, to my fellow players, both those still playing and ones that have quit over this, I say to you that I hope everything will turn out okay. If not, I’ve enjoyed my time playing this past year and I will at least have some good memories to look back on, if/when I quit and uninstall this game (if not permanently, at least until a better UI comes out).

And, to the devs involved in this new UI overhaul, I say this: The ball is now in your court. You know where most of us players stand on this issue, so, you have a choice. You can either listen to (and keep) your players, or, you can ignore our outcries, and see just how many are left after the dust settles. Its up to you.

9 Likes

Suggestion please have a flashing indicator over the games menu when we have dungeon battles to do or make it like GW and give us tokens for them so if we forget one day we can do 6 the next day or 21 on Sunday. Yesterday I did my dungeons around half an hour before reset because I forgot about them and I’m pretty sure I have missed them at least 5 times since they came out.

1 Like