3.2.5 Patch Notes

Same for 1920 x 1200 (8 troops only)

This is an issue with the iPhone X, so we can’t fix this

As an iOS developer, this is baloney. Use safeAreaInsets. No other Apps have this problem.

1 Like

ACK!!! INFERNUS Must be fixed!! I"m losing so many close matches that should have certainly been won!!

1 Like

So… actually not baloney… and I don’t believe it’s as clear-cut as you make it out to be.

First of all, we’re not a native app - we’re in Unity.
The version of Unity used in Gems of War is not the latest. As a Developer, if you’re familiar with Unity, you would know that it’s often VERY difficult to upgrade versions of Unity because you need to find a version with minimal/acceptable bugs across ALL platforms. We support 5 platforms (iOS, Android, PC< PS4 and Xbox). This means we have to pick our upgrades carefully, and generally means that we need to jump a number of versions at once. That in turn means the upgrades are quite impactful to our schedule, and we need to make sure we have 1-2 weeks built in for upgrading and potential fixes/rollbacks.

Because we haven’t upgraded our version for 6-7 months, that means support for some of the features to interact with the iPhoneX screen are not available through our Unity version. We’ve worked around that by pulling the side away from the camera slightly to maximize the screen space, but means we can’t easily do anything with that system keyboard (well anything that the Unity guys were aware of anyway… it may be there is some secret sauce in your suggestion here, but I would have expected our Unity Rep to tell us that if it worked in our version… I’ll certainly pass your suggestion along to the engineers though).

14 Likes

Given how often Unity pushes out updates, how do you decide when to upgrade your version? Seems like you’d need most of a QA department just to be testing your five platforms each time Unity updates.

1 Like

Good question!

We try to do it as little as possible, as it carries a lot of risk. I believe we only upgraded once last year, and that was to get some specific Asset Bundle features we needed for the mobile port.

Sometimes you need a feature like this, so Alpheon and/or GoldPhoenix will comb through the known issues lists of all the updates to find the safest one possible. And then we have to do a LOT of QA to make sure nothing is broken, and if it is usually we have to find a workaround, as Unity’s timeline for fixes is a lot more relaxed than our own release cadence.

9 Likes

Same for 1900*1080 but there is a lot less space around the cards.

Now there is too meany blinking that makes head go crazy and eyes hurt. And all that speeding up on explosions… hard… I was enjoying play, but now play time goes down by a huge margin.

3 Likes

I love hearing these behind the scene techie answers Sirrian, especially when you get to vent and complain :grin:

2 Likes

Well I don’t know much about Unity, but other Unity apps I use have keyboards that look just fine. However, It seems like none of them use the baked in TextView.

From the unity docs (Unity - Manual: Mobile Keyboard), It looks like you can hide the built in TextView with TouchScreenKeyboard.hideInput, then you could use the TouchScreenKeyboard.area to slide the chat window up. As you type, you could just see your text in the chat window rather than the temporary UITextView unity is displaying.

Sounds like this is actually an issue with Unity not the iPhone X, hopefully they will fix it (or maybe they have?).

I just noticed that “Magic” was removed from the stats screen during battles. What was the reasoning for this?

1 Like

In the old UI, the magic icon occupied the same screen spot as the mana gem. When the troop in question filled up, the game would shift from mana gem to magic number.

In the new UI, the magic icon is still hidden until the troop is filled. But since the icon and the mana gem no longer use the same spot on the screen the effect is weird.

3 Likes

FIx Fix please. Just checking in