1.0.8 Preview Part 2 - Upgrading Troops

Peasants need to have Super Sayian traits to be able to stand up against the likes of Crimson Bats :confused:

A well used peasant can actually be useful… Not a lot but enough to not be the more useless common of the game. XD

1 Like

Sorry but the Super Sayans are now outdated. Welcome to Saitama’s era ;-).
And yes, I know that Peasant will never be usefull. Just an example :stuck_out_tongue: .

ONE PAWWWWWWWNNNCCHHHH!!!

But seriously, I would love if the traits were NOT fixed so my gorgotha could be different from yours.

As long as traits could be changed later.

Upon reflecting, I suppose having higher level players being able to spur their troops to farther heights faster makes sense, right now, there’s not much gain for leveling past the first hundred or so. While this would make the disparity greater, it would give harder working players better rewards for their efforts. As a long-time but lower-level player, I’m torn. I would like to see the rewards for those who’ve done the work, but I dread what I might face, and I hope not to be resigned to fighting battles that only offer 200-300 gold (plus armor, so what, less than a thousand total) as a reward, when now I can be picky and go for ones that offer 500-1000 gold or more because I know I still have a chance to defeat them.

I admit that I, too, was hoping for totally customizable troops. We shall see what we get, but it does seem like they are custom tailored to each troop.

Seems to be a fair bit of confusion, but also a fair bit of logical deciphering to quarrel that confusion.

I’ll say it straight out. All traits will be fixed. There will be no swapping out traits. This makes sense, otherwise you’d be crafting the traits themselves rather than applying them to troops one by one.

They would be “Trait Slots” rather than listing the traits abilities were it the case.

The “Level 20 thing” is the only part that confuses me. We’ve been told you can go one level higher per rarity increase. But then we also see a level 20 Green Slime which starts at Epic, meaning level 17 should be the max, no?

Unless there was some sort of misinformation I accidentally picked up, that bit confuses me.

1 Like

No, if I understand well Epic max level will be 18 :wink: . After 2 Ascension, your troop will become Mythic (or whatever) and you will be able to max to level 20.
The same with Legendary which begin with a max level of 19.
That means just after the patch 1.0.8 launch, you will have to level a lot of troops (1 level for rare, 2 for UR, 3 for epic and 4 for legendary)…
I hope that one day a developper will come back from Valhalla to answer/confirm our questions :stuck_out_tongue: .

1 Like

turintuor’s numbers are correct. The lvl20 Green Slime is one that has been ascended to Mythic. A non ascended Slime would max out at lvl18.

Nope, we don’t. The three traits (passives) that each troop had are pre-determined, just like its spell.

There will be many more strategy options available with the interactions between traits and spells, so there is more customisation in the sense of more teams to try - but no, we won’t be customising troops, just improving and unlocking bits of them.

Or we might suddenly enjoy the new troops differently if the traits changed how they work. The game is always evolving, and this has been a long time coming - let’s look to embrace it.

That’s still going to happen at times. We might find some unexpected combos of traits and spells that are a bit game-breaking, or become ubiquitous and boring, and the devs will work out what to do. I agree that it will cause more emotional upset, because of the greater time and resources invested in powering up a troop - hopefully we are all grown-up enough to understand it and move on.

Webspinner absolutely needed it. It was game-breaking (mechanically) and appearing everywhere and spoiling the pvp game for many players (@Archenassa yes you’ve noted you weren’t experiencing that). Webspinner is still powerful, can still loop a bit and cause a lot of trouble - but not the endless loops that even the AI could go into before.

Silent One absolutely needed something - its spell was too strong compared to anything else in the end-game, and it was in 95% of high level pvp teams. That was boring and not fun. The spell nerf was necessary - other options could have worked, but this works okay - pair it with a cleansing troop, or recharge blue very quickly, and it’s still viable. I do feel its stats nerf was a bit much, it does now feel a little weak.

EDIT - I realise that’s not what this thread is really about, but felt the need to respond… please excuse that, and if this debate must re-open let’s have a new thread, sorry…

We’ll have to wait and see. I don’t think it’ll quite be Warlord IV - but some traits do sound very powerful. I will be sure to invest my vast trove to present you some impossible invades :stuck_out_tongue: Mythic Dire Wolf team here we come…

Absolutely, this really saddens me… Despite my (nearly) endless trove of resources, in the last year I have disenchanted many legendaries I wouldn’t use, often anything beyond the two that might make it into a team…

Yes, that player has ascended their Green Slime to mythic and levelled it to 20. When it pops out of a chest, it appears at its base rarity (epic) but at the level in the player’s collection (20), hence what we saw in the video. Tiny bit misleading, I think, but we can get used to it.

Looks like it will make it a bit harder initially… My feelings on this are mixed:

• trying to feel some sympathy that yes, the gap in the arms race might widen a bit to start, but remember how rubbish the AI is, and as long as you stick to normal difficulty you should still be able to outplay most opponents, even higher level ones… and making your own journey and unlocking better stuff/higher levels should feel rewarding again…
  • I do strongly feel that players that have played more should have rewards for that, and the acceleration of the unlocks will help with that. I play 1-2 hours a day, every day, and have done so since release. I should have more to show for it than a heap of souls I can’t spend and 273 dire wolves I don’t use…

Glad to hear you are looking forward to the challenge!

I understand that the nature, frequency and variety of the real money purchase offers will be changing, a lot.

TO ALL: I’d like to also post a reminder that this amazing game is still FREE to play, and there is still nothing in the game currently that can’t be obtained with hard work and time spent. The 108 update will introduce tons of cool stuff to go after, tons of new resources that need to be gathered, and yes, tons of extra hard work to do to get it all. There’ll be greater incentive perhaps to chuck a little real money in… and actually we all NEED that… if the game does not monetise well enough, at some point the publisher (and/or the developer) will pull the plug, and the cool new content will stop… and if the servers are shut down, the game will stop too…

EDIT - maybe we should have a Wikipedia-style guilt-based purchase system instead… or maybe not…

3 Likes

Haha I HAVE spent money on this game…as much a new AAA title. I probably Will again when the VIP program comes out.

Me too, at the start… but there are very many players who don’t spend money… and don’t want to…

Maybe the self silence on the Silent One was okay (Still dont agree) but on top of that, sh**ing on his stats (Two times) is what absolutly overkill it. And if you think about it, may be if the nerf to TSO never happend, Webspinner never would have become such problem for you noobs who didnt knew how to play around her loop without an easy answer like TSO would have been. :v:

1 Like

I’m beginning to think also, what with the increased usage of skulls, and skills becoming less useful that perhaps reverting the exploder nerf would be a good idea :smile:

Exploders maybe not, but TSO could totally get some stats back. Some commons have higher stats. Its not like his stats were ever the problem, aside from that beastly attack stat - but no-one ever had him in the front because they wanted to protect him.

2 Likes

my sentiments entirely :hand:

1 Like

Please don’t troll us, dear guild-mate, I’m sure that’s not your intention… please don’t suggest that many of the players who voiced views against Webspinner are too ‘noob’ to have found counters…[quote=“Serale, post:74, topic:1832”]
an easy answer like TSO would have been
[/quote]

The issue being that was too easy an answer to EVERY strategy in the game. Either you used it, or you risked losing as almost every opponent had it…

Ugh, please spare this topic the ridiculous “nerf” debate. It’s gotten so old that even the mention of it springs cobwebs all over the board with dust bunnies so fat it’s like they ate all the Easter candy rather than hiding it.

:cloud: :rabbit2: :cloud: :cloud: <–(Accurate representation of the board right now.)

2 Likes

Fair point. Apologies all, for my part in it…

Let’s focus, sorry, on the great stuff that is coming!

Am sorry, is hard to think otherwise when you never had such recurrent problems on going agaist them (Yes I did loose every now and then agaisnt a TSO with Gorgotha or Webspinner with Goblin Shaman comps) But I did win like 90% of the time… Also, can I add on how ridiculus is to think that loosing agaisnt one troop every once in a while makes it overpower? The game is pretty easy when you get to know how the AI works on her plays and I must have to remember for everyone that TSO nerf was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay before we had some options for actual difficulty while playing. It does feels like the matchs are so easy to win that when you actually loose it doesnt feel quite right and it’s always a specific troop or something that gets pointed, whinned and killed for it. Not calling out names @Jainus, sorry. “Noobs” is a word I use too lightly I guess…

1 Like

For people wondering about The Silent One.

5 Likes