1.0.8 Preview Part 2 - Upgrading Troops

I probably wasn’t clear enough on my explanation, since I’m not a native speaker. Yes once you upgrade your troops they will remain upgraded, and all the new ones will be exactly the same upgrade as the troops you already have (that’s what I ment with scaling). But troops will receives from the chests they were ment to be received never taking upgraded rarity into consideration. Troops will be shown as their start rarity on cheats opening, but all after that will be shown as the rarity a player has already achieved. Maybe I didn’t explain it good once more xD

I think some people don’t understand that some questions are formulated to the game developers and not for speculating members of the community. :v: I wish you guys are right tho… It seems the more racional but I want a clear/real answer…

I think that we do understand, but since its a forum where we can discuss, that’s what we are doing, discussing what we expect from upcoming changes.

One thing to remember is that the chance to get legendaries from keys (gem?) will be 4x, not 3x like now, so while it’s not a big jump, it is a bit better.

I’m wondering how this might further extend the gap between low to midgame players and lategame players. I might be able to pull off a few ascensions, and given enough time maybe even a few mythic cards. But souls are not an infinite resource, and I only have one or two of each legendary (this is my fault, as I never thought I’d need more than one of each and had been disenchanting extras of them for souls until 1.0.7).

However, I know there are lots of you out there with huge stockpiles of souls, gold, and loads of extra troops. Will this all result in higher level players stomping lower ones with no chance due to increased stats and levels of ascended troops? Right now, I can invade a 300+ level player and still have a good chance at beating him if I play well and have crafted a solid team. After this…?

I’m not whining here, let’s get this straight. I am looking forward to all this, and I think it will be very interesting. However, I’m just wondering if it will leave all you high level folks in a place where nothing is challenging anymore, due to disparities in troop levels and stats.

3 Likes

Since right now theres like no difference on fighting a lvl 1000 or a lvl 50… I think this is gonna at least somewhat reward the grinding…

Yes, rewarding those who have played a long time and put in the effort is definitely a plus, and I’m not worried about that aspect.

Edit: derp, I just remembered difficulty levels. That would even it out enough probably. I think I remember one of the devs talking about Warlord VI being more viable in this patch…

I think a lot will depend on the stat increases to get to a Mythic troops. If levels 15-20 will show only one star bump per level it may not be so bad. On the other hand, players with a huge stockpile of souls will be able to get their go-to legendaries (if not all) to level 19 immediately. Will definitely be interesting post-patch!

Surely you mean make it HARDER for lower level players to beat higher levels? In the video I can see stats of around 38 Life, 25 Armour, and 25 Attack on I believe it was a Mythic Scarlet. For Warlord IV add +200%, giving ridiculous stats to play against. Or am I missing something here?

He means us playing on higher difficulty.

Playing higher difficulty only gives better rewards in terms of gold, souls and XP… It does nothing for your stats.

Baby, we getting better stats from the improved troops would make easier the w4 runs… :v:

I think he meant - our higher stats from ascension/lvl20/etc will make Warlord easier?

I don’t see why, if everyone else gets all of that too.

Would be easier for us (High levels) to improve the troops due to the 4000ish piles of keys we have.

exactly what I meant. So it wouldn’t make any difference. Instead of 15 skull damage per strike, you deal 25 damage per strike and receive that plus 200% from the enemy. Of course everyone’s life stat has increased accordingly.

What I’m saying is, you guys will have more resources to jump on the train quickly and will have more upgraded troops faster, that’s all. And yes, the difficulty means that as troops are improved, it can be a cakewalk to play vs lower level players, but at higher difficulties it is more equalized.

I’m afraid I’m not making much sense today, sorry.

Also, I’m a “she” :wink:

I understood everything. :v:

okay - so it looks like arena is gonna be important - keys souls and money and troops… so… how does the leveling up stuff affect the battles or will they still be as though you didnt have kingdom bonuses and didnt level them up?

As cool as the Traits look, it actually worries me for three reasons.

1/ We apparently don’t get to choose them. They seem to be “fixed” for each troop, which means that the troop customisation I was getting excited about is not actually customisation at all. It’s good to be able to improve troops, but we don’t actually get to mix-n-match the way we might like, trying out combos we feel would work well together, etc. I think it’s a shame. I hope I misunderstood it.

2/ Troop quality will change drastically with the traits. A troop with three cool traits might become far better than a troop with traits deemed less useful, and that means we might all end up playing with troops that we don’t necessarily enjoy that much just because their traits make them far more efficient than another troop who got the short end of the straw. Like I said, I might have misunderstood, but that something that actually worries me.

3/ Nerfing troops will become basically unacceptable. Finding a right balance in a game is tricky, and needing to buff or nerf troops occasionally is par for the course. However, now that improving a troop means a LOT of duplicates / souls / traitstones, any nerf to a troop will be seen as backstabbing, in that players would have sunk a ton of resources in a troop to get it to top level, and then see their effort crushed if a troop is in need of a balance change. And balance will be as important as ever. Now I’m pretty confident in the GoW team game design decisions overall, but I don’t all the time. For me, both Webspinner and the Silent One should not have been nerfed the way they are, and if this had been 1.0.8 already and I had sunk a ton of my resources to improve my Silent One and see him become obsolete like that, I would have been pissed. The way things are right now, I don’t really mind. If a troop I’m using get nerfed to be the point of feeling close to useless, I just change my line-up, no biggie. I actually change my line-up almost every week, since I get bored easily. But with 1.0.8, that means I’ll have to focus on some specific troops to upgrade and stick with them most of the time (which also means I’m going to hate invades / defends a lot more than I currently do, because switching teams will be a lot more difficult resource-wise).

Now I don’t want to cry wolf, I’m sure that patch will bring a ton of really cool stuff that I’m excited to discover. But I’m a bit wary is all. ^^

8 Likes

I want to echo what @Mitheithel said about the power disparity. I have played since launch, but nowhere near to the levels that many others have. I am not even level 300 yet, though I do have most of the troops (only missing some from that were glory sales during the weeks I took a break.) but I dont have the million gold in the bank, or thousands of gems, or 4 thousand keys or 10’s of thousands of souls, or hundreds of copies of troops.

I dont begrudge the players that do have those things, they definitely deserve to be able to cash all that in for awesomeness. What concerns me is; right now I cant beat just about anyone, even level 1000 players, but what happens when I go against someone who has been able to spend this vast trove of resources on their army? Will it be like facing off against warlord IV armies?

I also dont know how concerned I REALLY should be, its probably only the players in the top 10 guilds that will be a concern.

I also regret having disenchanted as many legendaries as I had before in the past. Le Sigh.

6 Likes

Hopefully, the traits are fixed! I remind that all the troops can become a mythic one and so I think that traits will be used to help less powerful and useless troops to match with the other ones. Traits can be very powerful (we see an example of +1 life each turn) and just imagine that putting these ones on already powerful troops will only increase the big gap between Crimson Bat and Peasant for example (okay Peasant needs 3 really powerful traits :stuck_out_tongue: ). So yes you will have less customisation but that’s for the sake of troop balance.