Strange Guild Wars bracket movement

The problem is that guilds that have been around since the game started, are top 20 in total trophies, top 10 currently in weekly trophies, and recently finished 6th in Bracket 1 (aka Hoguns) are getting demoted in favor of guilds that are superior only in the number of trophies they gathered before GW ever started.

I realize I’m focused on Hoguns but it is a GLARING example of how unfair the current system is. It truly appears that the bracket assignment is based on a popularity contest rather than any other objective measurement.

1 Like

You shouldn’t fear, i don’t think ANY serious DEV would ever do that. That would ruin totally their credibility toward the community, causing serious mass leave from the game.

By Occam’s Razor, considering how “green” is the code for GW,
the easiest answer is just: It’s Simply a BUG.

The number of bugs in GW has a similar effect on their credibility. Just saying…

2 Likes

that is an heavy hint that they aren’t dedicating their full energies to the GW bugs. Probably the Unity re-code is taking away most of their energies, or other games?

To pick up on a few comments above @htismaqe @Aelthwyn @Darkness

• in MatchMasters we are equally bamboozled
  • suggestions that it’s a conspiracy to favour the old elite are laughable though
  • it’s either a bug (unintended incorrect coding of the maths) or a misspec (unintended result of correct coding of the math)
  • can’t speak for all my Guildies but I’d rather be down a bracket or two to see how mindlessly monotonous the games are there
  • on the current pattern, week after next will see the top #1 and #2 guilds demoted :slight_smile:
9 Likes

Just to be clear:

• I know you are, I’m not trying to pick on you guys, you just happen to be THE example right now
  • of course I’m not serious that it’s a conspiracy but you have to admit that pretty much every mechanic in this game rewards past performance more than anything else
  • agreed
  • Bracket 2 is somewhat less monotonous yes, excluding this week where it’s apparently nothing but Forest Guardian and Kerberos (as I mentioned previously, that wasn’t my experience but I may be the only one in my guild that got that kind of draw)
  • that would be rich, wouldn’t it?
3 Likes

I agree. I never intended to suggest that. Hell, I think no-one is really suggesting this seriously anyway. But all your other points are as mindboggling to me as they are to you and the others in Match Masters.

But considering the glaring lack of developer response I guess we’ll find out how it works when the weeks pass by and the number 4, 3, 2 and 1 finishers start being demoted in the coming weeks… :wink:

3 Likes

In the interest of openness and honesty (we all saw how well @DonBoba was treated for that recently) I should also add that I’m completely in favour, in general, of the devs conspiring to benefit the old elite. As one of the oldest and elite-est (not to say elitist) I think this is an excellent idea…

Note, just saying: I downloaded this game the week after it was released, in November 2014, and have not missed a daily login even once since then… where’s my loyalty bonus otherwise? :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Being in bracket 2 for a while would surely be some relaxing vacations. :stuck_out_tongue:

I would just like to know if the promotions or demotions are working as intended or if there is another bug, and what rules they are supposed to follow.

1 Like

Whether it’s an intentional conspiracy or an accidental mistake, the result is the same. Players and guilds are not receiving the results they expect and appear to have earned. And the willingness of the devs to ask us to invest in this mode while also having an unwillingness to provide details on how it works is silly. They had my trust when they were responsive and forthcoming. The recent bugs and lack of transparency has damaged that trust. Hopefully they decide to go back to their historical ways…

3 Likes

I’m surprised there’s been no response from the devs. I get that they don’t want to reveal everything behind the ranking/brackets, but at least they could tell us if it’s working as intended or not. At least then we’d know whether to be outraged at the design or annoyed by the buggy implementation.

2 Likes

Ya know we could all refuse to register for next weeks war…

2 Likes

Or everyone might be over reacting and they are including factors which are not obvious to track

Off the top of my head the following are all reasonable to include and could result in apparent funny behaviour

1. Previous weeks results
  2. Raw number of wins (ie non mono-color has advantage)
  3. Adjustments for number of players (i.e. a guild playing with 20 players may hold there spot due to quality)
  4. Number of defense wins
  5. How difficult your oponents are (i.e. if you go against the six hardest defense and on average do better than other teams against teams against those defensea it is unfair if you get relegated because you did not play bad defense 1,2 and 3 and pad your numbers accordingly)
  6. These factors over multiple weeks.
  7. Results against manufactured simple defenses being removed.
  8. Number of daily guild wars won. (Ie if matchmakers won 2 daily wars is it fair to relegate vs someone who won no daily wars?)

Personally I would be happy if any / all of these factors were considered. These are not factors the community has visibility on.

2 Likes

Not really a solution, others would just fill the void, and we’d end up only punishing ourselves. Now not bothering to level up sentinels, or simply not thinking of the mode as a competition, that might help.

1 Like

Lol @beanie42 i was being sarcastic

My bad. I guess the brain cells for sarcasm detection thought the brackets were just a really big joke, and burned themselves out trying to understand them. But at least I have a chance to rest my brain every half hour or so when the server crashes…

1 Like

Lol good rule of thumb when dealing with me… Always assume im being sarcastic :wink:

2 Likes

A couple of those have already been ruled since, if they were true, we wouldn’t be seeing the results we are seeing. Outside of that, certainly all of those are possible criteria. However, if any and/or all of those criteria are truly being considered, why in the world would we have actual GW points? GW points would be essentially useless if what you propose is true.

All of that being said, we’ll never know unless the Devs show up and comment.

As for overreacting, it really doesn’t matter what the underlying logic is. The #5 and #6 teams in Bracket 1 got demoted while the #10 team (two weeks in a row, mind you) got to stay. If that is truly working as intended, then the whole GW structure is a scam.

2 Likes

###8 brings up a couple of points.

First, my question to Match Masters in this thread and still bothering to read it: how many guild wars (daily) did you win? And I’m not saying where at the end of the week, you had more points than another on that day. How many times did you pick up the bonus seals and xp last week? I’m pretty sure Hoguns only “won” 1 or 2. If you guys had more, then we may be on to something. If we are…

then what the hell. might as well make it so that people can only fight on each day. I thought the point of giving us the ability to do all our fights on the last day was that it wouldn’t effect our guild negatively. If it does, then guilds that take GW seriously, might want to consider forcing their players to play every day, and not just every match.

2 Likes

We’ve been going back and forth between bracket 4 and bracket 5, and we’re in the top 100 guilds in the PVP league. One of our guild mates is in the top 10 PVP.

The first week we end up with the problems a lot of the top 100 guilds were facing of 0 in points. 6/0 for the guild for overall wins

At the start of last week at that reset we ended up having our points rolled back to 7 hours before reset. We were missing a significant end push so we ended up in a bracket that didn’t quite make sense. We lost to one guild so we were 5/1

Beginning of this week because we lost everything except one day. We’re back in bracket 5. I thought we would be staying in Bracket 4.

Like the rest of you, we’re a bit confused. I can honestly say I think we’re just going to keep bouncing between 4 and 5…

Does anyone know how the ‘individual pairings are done?’ Our soldier group still are getting outrageous defense teams. And for me today I felt bad for the soldier slot - his team is what I would expect to see for soldier level.