Strange Guild Wars bracket movement

Or it could just be a bug. From over in Points from last week's guild wars are not carrying over it’s obvious something is hinky in the rollover.

Ok my theory was proven wrong :smiley:

Why aren’t the devs coming to reveal logic behind these stuff?
@Sirrian @Nimhain @Saltypatra

We don’t need people getting further mad about GW, so lets explain something that can be explained.

5 Likes

Somehow Tigerclaw got promoted to bracket 1, #7 for this week. This is pretty unexpected, we did place in the upper half of bracket 2, not in the first three positions though (799,277 final score). Maybe it’s using inverse registration time as part of the algorithm, we did register late this week. :angry:

And with a score of 862,320 Druid’s Grove again stayed in bracket 2, in spite of finishing with a higher score than over half of bracket 1. /boggle

1 Like

I can see that usually there are the same people commenting so I thought that another voice of frustration would not harm anyone :blush:
I logged in today, checked​ tables and Hoguns on 6th place and I was like ‘oh they did manage bracket 1 and they did real good’. I checked to confirm my guild stayed in bracket 2 and what are we up against this week and BOOM - Hoguns. That is ridiculous and I feel for you guys.

2 Likes

My guild finished 3rd by a hair. Almost 2nd. We went down too. It makes no sense. We also faced the 1st and eventual 2nd best guilds. I also noticed guilds in the bracket below us who also did worse moved past us. Something is stink imo

Also this:

How does a guild earn pts before its begun. We were in 211-219 bracket…and moved down after finishing 3rd…barely missed 2nd.
We are SMB Bros

1 Like

There appears to be a rather stunning lack of dev response to both topics raising this question…
I guess they don’t know how the bracket movement in GW works either? :wink:

2 Likes

They said at the beginning of all of this that they wouldn’t disclose it out of fear that everyone would start to exploit it once they do.

5 Likes

So, we’re just expected to accept all the strange guild bracket movement then?

2 Likes

not good enough reason to me, if thats where the real cometition should be situatied in (in those hidden rules) either bring it to the light or change the rules so that they arent abusable

ppl should be allowed to fight for the rewards with clear rules about actually who wins

lets say two kids play soccer, one of them scores more goals then the other. but its actually mom who says which kid won and to which she will give the cake. so what the goals were for, just to show their effort to convince mom? are those really fair game rules? should the kid wear mom’s favorite shirt or smile more? …

not to mention there is zero competitions for adults that would accept such unclear rules

pvp reward table has no such unclear rules

the mistake devs made is to tie ‘matchmaking’ gw aspect with the ‘rewards’ aspect, while for matcmaking there is some fair reasoning to hide how it is done, hiding how rewarding ppl is done is nonsense

9 Likes

That’s just not good enough, sorry.

No offense to Match Masters but when they finish last in bracket 1 two weeks in a row and yet remain in bracket 1, why would we care if the system can be exploited? The system has no integrity in the first place.

8 Likes

Another explanation is that movement is determined by number of fights won. If a guild decide to forego the color day and fight with their best team available: they would certainly win all the fights but get pretty low scores.

Any motivated guild to try it out?

1 Like

I find the devs lack of telling us anything disturbing. For a guild to finish last 2 weeks in a row in the top bracket but not move down screams of pathetic.

5 Likes

This is not something that should be opaque. Has caused even more outcry now because a bottom team has not moved down for multiple weeks in a row.

3 Likes

Rotfl, i guess it’s just bugs. Why on earth you would make a competition and not tell the rules for winning it?
The most probable answer is that the ladder was intended in some way, and some bug is preventing it from working right.

2 Likes

I suspect the missing ingredient in the formula is total VIP points of the guild, plus VIP points earned by guild members in the previous week.

For consistency’s sake, the devs should blank out all the spell power and troop trait descriptions; if the players knew what they were, they might seek to exploit them.

3 Likes

Or the intention all along was to reward the very top guilds over and over again.

I’d love to think I’m wrong but past behavior has always accomplished this in one way or another.

4 Likes

I have to agree with how it appears.

However you must think that anyone who has the most experience should and most likely will be at the top.

However based on how these wars are working, if you are at the bottom. It could take you months or years before your guild moves to the top bracket with 100% participation and 30 active players.

I think the way this system currently works is BOGUS.

How about a system where the DEVS set each of the 5 teams each and every person fights every week. There are no “brackets” and its only purely based on the points gained from your guilds battles.

This is a far simpler system and I think it fairer to new players. Older players or top guilds may disagree because they don’t want the additional competition that this would inspire.

Setting the 5 teams, also puts everyone on EXACTLY the same level.

My 2 cents: i think the part in the code for the “initial” placing (the one that did put guilds on certain brackets depending their placing on the pvp ladder), has some faulty parts interconnected with the “normal” GW placing code.
Every week something connected with that “initial” placing keeps getting activated and seems to go against the “normal” placing, and they mix up.

we have one proof: some guilds at bracket 2, managed to reach bracket one,
so the mechanism to move from brackets is there.

another hint: every week MANY guilds lose totally their progression (E.g.: their total points history is 0).

i think this 0 point thing is really spread, and triggers again the “initial” placing code part, or somehow hinders and blocks the code for the “normal” on to work well.

I don’t want to think of ANY malicious intentions, just because the GW has been coded recently, and i consider it in BETA at the current state, and we are the bug testers.

so far, what we can do is just to help them kill every bug so we can have a clean experience of it.