Guild Wars Going Forward

Also want to add, I do get that some people love GW, and not everyone needs to love every mode. I am fine with not doing it at all, whilst those who love it do it.

I think that there should be more GW-free guilds though. They are scarce, at least good active ones are scarce. If most people in your guild hate GW, why not just completely leave it? Like I mentioned, of the many guilds in my guild family the GW-free ones are the most popular.

1 Like

I would like Guild Wars to RIP and NOT return please. Been playing for several years, and the only thing about GWs I liked was when they were over. Updated: I am a GM and 28 of 30 of my guild members agree with me.

Our only requirement was participation in them, because of the exclusive troop thing. ā€˜Do your best, endure, they be over soonā€™ sentiment. But they suck, like Under Spire, and thenRed Bar updates implemented with the last update. I gave up on UnderSpire and resigned myself to never owning the Sentinal troops after wasting real money and 10,000+ gems on them. I keep retrying red-bar in PvP and wonder why I torture myself.

I am a GM in a PC platform guild. Level 1679, VIP 18, playing for 6 years. I am a level 1589, VIP18 player in an Xbox guild also. May be time to just give it up and call it a day :frowning:

4 Likes

What I particularly hate in GW is that itā€™s unfair to the playerbase except a select few representatives. Bracket 1 gains huge rewards, while you only need to go a few brackets down to get close to nothing. Yeah, yeah, B1 participants, you took the time, put in the time, you climbed up there, you deserve the glory and the loot. But you know whatā€™s the best way to get access to these fantastic B1 rewards? To join a B1 guild when itā€™s recruiting. Climbing up the ranking takes forever - if a guild is, say, in bracket 20, they can be stuck in that bracket 20 for months, if not years (usually alternating between brackets 18-22 all the time). It takes YEARS to climb to a decent bracket, if your guild happens to be low in the ranking for any reason. My own guild has made GW optional years ago, and we canā€™t seem to be able to fall down below bracket 18, and believe me, itā€™s not for the lack of trying - itā€™s just that enough guild members play and get good enough total result for the entire guild to stay up without falling in the ranking, and even if we fall down a bracket, we climb up the next GW. A mode that grants huge reward to a few brackets just because these guilds climbed up this high when the mode was new and fresh, many years ago, and are able to stay up is unfair to everyone. Thatā€™s also one of big reasons why guilds make themselves GW-free - all the effort and crappy rewards for most, except the select few. Not motivating to play. Not motivating to even try.

If this is not addressed in some shape and form (giving better rewards for coming up 1 and 2 in the bracket, for example, on top of the promotion), and these so-much-wanted extra rewards (dragonite, books, as mentioned above) are given only to the top of the total ranking (so, top brackets), there will be even less point to play GW at all. You did a good thing by introducing rewards for coming at the top of individual bubbles in PvP, you can do it for GW too. Brackets are there already, use them.

10 Likes

Most of my guild enjoyed the internal battle for the Paragon spot, but not so much the Meta Empowered Looping Defenses we started seeing from bracket ~50 onwards: could we have a reset button to send us back to the bottom of the GW ranks, so we can enjoy the mode again?

:pray: :vulcan_salute:

3 Likes

I am a member of a B1-B3 guild and I very much used to love the format and that game mode. I want to be in GW serious guild. I hope something similar comes back soon.

What I love about the format: that it used to be about honing board control skills and that there was enough time for each battle to think it out. I love streaming with my guild mates to get the best results. I liked that we could take our time, and could catch up with battles later in the week so we could concentrate on them properly.

Whatever you do, make sure it is something that can be tackled on an individual schedule. If it ever moves to ā€˜everybody has to be around at one game dictated time to move against another guildā€™ I will quit the game, I thoroughly hate that sort of war in other games, it is very unfair across time zones and people who have other RL responsibilities.

What i did worry about in the last year is that some weapons/troops were introduced that made offense too easy, boosting the luck factor far too much over the skill factor. Wand of Stars for instance is very unbalanced, and threw careful board management out of the window, replacing it with ā€˜unless you are very unlucky, just cast the wand and you will winā€™. So going forward: bring back board control as the main success factor. Limit the use of those type of overpowering troop/weapon in GW like Wand of Stars or Stellaris. Limit Elementalist class too, GW should not be a 1 class affair (nerfing it would not be a bad idea either for pvp in generalā€¦)

Anyway, the sort of GW it used to be was best every 4 weeks at most, as streaming for a week is very tiring, and I couod not do it more often, even though I like doing it.

5 Likes

I like the guild having to work together for it. Sharing teams, working towards daily victories and bracket placement, ā€¦ It was the first event that really made the guilds have to work together. We have this in other events now though, Tower of Doom is a better one for guild cooperation.

• more transparent scoring - I was often surprised after what I felt was a good match to see a lower than expected score.
  • more incentive for varied defence - Iā€™m not sure how that could work. Maybe small bonus points on defence if you use a troop/weapon nobody else in your guild used that day?
  • more movement between brackets - it doesnā€™t seem right that it could take a newly founded guild literal years to climb to the top of the brackets even if they outperformed the top guilds; I realize opponent guilds affect the score, but still feels like there should be more opportunity to move up. Maybe have multiple lanes of brackets, example 5 bracket 1s, 5 bracket 2s, 5 bracket 3s etc. That would mean 50 guilds in 5 bracket 1s, for each event randomly split them up in 5 groups and have them duke it out.

Depends on implementation. Assuming something similar to what we had before with equally repetitive teams, once a month would be good.

1 Like

1.GW need ban-system for attack teams:

a) 2 hero class (we all know one)
b) 5 troops(maybe more) for each colour
c) WAND OF STARS NOT PLAY IN GW ATTACK

In Monday all GMs add this in special list and and this not work for attackers

Why?ALL attack GW teams looks like WAND+ZUUL/CTHARR and 2 empowered converters in any and for any bracket.You just change converters if needā€¦No brain no skill( If you give me 30 accounts i can won every GWā€¦Ok maybe not won but play 1st btacket FOREVER lol)

2.GW need change rewards.Make GOLD MARKS and maybe dragonite

Why?Who need 1500 gems/month?You can have 1500 gems/week just take tributeā€¦This reason why many players(TRUE endgamers) not play GW or play this not so activeā€¦In fact we have 20 guilds who realy play GW because they love this game mode.Other ppls not wanna waste time.I not be waste 3-4 hours in GW week for 10% chance take 1500 gems in 1st bracketā€¦3-4 hours better waste for PVP or e1 farm or any other farm optionā€¦But i can think about it in we have 500-1000-1500 goldmarks just me need books

3.GW need simple points system.Not need 2z+x+45%y+(1/5+7turn)=points meme.This 500 iq and ppls dont like it and not understand it

Simple
a)All battles have 100 start points
b)Each action -1 point

At this point i no longer trust the team to implement good change unless there was a way to monetize it. Targeted dragon eggs? No. Then the cosmic dragon eggs, hoard mimic debacle. Then you top it off by adding sentinels you have next to no chance of getting and when you do strike gold you get a dupe. But its ā€œfunā€ right? This game really has gone downhill

12 Likes

Iā€™d like to add my thanks for posting this, although it saddens me that it will be such a long time before weā€™ll see GW return.

To answer the first question, the one thing I think GoW does really well is the Guild system. My guild is the reason I still play this game after I fouind it 7+ years ago. :smiley: Guild Wars has always been my favorite Guild event, because it allows for a lot of interaction between our guild mates. Itā€™s wonderful to see people grow in confidence and ability as a result.

Yes, the battles are hard and frustrating at times, but that makes it even more of a joy when you manage to win. And, this is for me one of the other reasons I like it: it is only 5 battles a day. For almost all of the rest of the game, the more battles you do, the better. Making most of the play revolve around speed. GW is a nice change of pace for me.

What would I like to see added? Things that make the interaction between players easier. Maybe something that makes sharing defence/attack teams between guild members easier? I know that most GW oriented guilds have discord servers or similar to co-ordinate, but it would be nice to have something in-game too.

The once every 4 weeks schedule worked rather nicely I think. I would not want it to be more often as it can be time-consuming, for me i think once every 5/6 weeks would work too.

7 Likes

Quite disappointing communication, especially towards those guilds that are built in relation to the guild wars and in any case contributed to supporting the game from the beginning with both time and money, due to the temporary removal several players have left, and after this message probably others will, but we know that they are only interested in monetizing.
Just sorry to see a few people angry.

2 Likes

GW has several problems:
1-awful rewards (the solution here is easy)
2-lately all the battles are the same, elementalist+wand of stars/zuul or ctharr/2 empowered for all colors! Very boring
3-cheaters: we all know that some of the top guilds use bots to spy teams from other guilds and/or set weak defenses against allied guilds

The solution for points 2 and 3 would be to change the restrictions each time, like world events, or to limit the troops selection like in arena, class limitations or removal would be good too.
Maybe give more importance to daily victories like bonus points or rewards, itā€™s absurd that with 6 daily victories you can get demoted or you can win with 6 losses

1 Like

Been here over 5 years, only reason I am still here was gw, it made the grind worth it for me, now, Iā€™ll stop,playing. Repetitive mindless events, underspire that is nothing more than a slot machine and insults my intelligence every time I play it. New pvp is already dead, 6500 and done every week.

So stop listening to the complainers and start listening to the vip20s and high levels who are here for gw only. You just signed the death warrant of your game. Iā€™ve never encountered a more clueless app in any game Iā€™ve ever played. Game gets smaller every day, been dying for years and now this. So great job guys, buy a clue.

5 Likes

After the long period of silence, I am very pleased that we players are now being informed so comprehensively and openly. I suspected many of the problems in the background, but itā€™s something completely different when they are openly addressed and named. Thatā€™s how dialogue works. Thank you for that.

What do I love about gw?
I love the competition with other guilds.
I find it very satisfying to see how members of my own guild develop over time. The exchange and mutual support with team suggestions or background knowledge within your own guild promotes cohesion and consistency.
A game that repeatedly shows so many problems, errors, malfunctions and bugs over time, as this game does and has done, I would not have played for a long time if it were not for this guild, which has grown ever closer together over the years.

What donā€™t I like about gw?
I donā€™t like that I have to fight every single fight against looping books team.
I hate the fact that my knowledge and skills are often completely irrelevant because the start board determines the outcome of the fight and itā€™s really about luck and not skill.
I find it frustrating that the scoring system is so complicated that, combined with the board luck and the eternally identical opposing teams with looping books, I see hardly any opportunities to actively influence my result.

What do I want for the future?
I would love it if my battles were real 1:1 battles, for example, if I met an opponent and he had to do his battle against me as well and we both got the exact same starting board.
I would find it fair if the guild result of each day and the whole week was not the sum of the best 27 players, but the sum of the best, ahem, 20 players? In addition, the points average of all guild members could be included in the weekly ranking, so that even guilds with fewer than 30 members could deliver a good result if all members actually play.
Maybe unit and weapon restrictions would also make for a more exciting gw experience, because we wouldnā€™t always be playing the same book teams.

Will a new Guild Wars be allowed even if your team canā€™t monetize it?
This week another staff member said rumors of guild wars going away permanently was not true.
This same week this new Guild Wars ā€œfeatureā€ is announced with a rough ETA at best in terms of its release.

So Iā€™m of the opinion that Guild Wars is gone for good. But you donā€™t want players to know that.

7 Likes

Our guild liked guild wars as it was. We played mostly in bracket 4 or 5 and were just about to get promoted to bracket 3 when it was suspended.

Once a month is our preferred interval.

2 Likes

Donā€™t allow empowered troops. Losing on turn 1 or having a bad board to where I canā€™t avoid being looped and losing is the most frustrating thing about GWs.

3 Likes

My favorite part of guild wars wasā€¦when guild wars wasnā€™t running.

6 Likes

GW was my favorite game mode. I enjoyed the challenge of no holds barred fighting other guilds. People complain about the empowered troops, I see ot as a puzzle to be solved. I think the monthly frequency works well. Some things could be improved (such as the fact that you shouldnā€™t lose points if you get hit by skulls while barriered). The rewards need to be improved as well. Only 4 guilds make a net profit on their gems from maxing out the Sentinels. Iā€™ll probably think of MUCH more to say later.

3 Likes

Rewards definitely need reworking to make it fairer. You could even tier the sentinel costs based on league your in so they are more online with the rewards you can earn.

1 Like

I didnā€™t hate GW but in the last few years I certainly didnā€™t like it. I would rather the same restrictions for both sides, so either play with the same colour, type of troop, kingdom, whatever. Just not the totally unbalanced system where there were too many meta teams in defense and too many restrictions for offense.

1 Like