I wanted to update you all on the status of Guild Wars and the upcoming 2.2 update
First, a TL;DR version:
- We’re going to move Guild Wars back to the 2.3 version.
- We’re going to add something else into 2.2 instead which I think you’ll all enjoy.
Read on for more info below:
1. Why are we pushing Guild Wars back?
We’re not happy with the design of it yet. We’ve been through a few iterations, and nothing has felt quite right… we’d rather take some extra time and deliver something of a much higher quality (and stability!!).
As many of you know, our Tech Lead, Andrew, has been out on vacation for 3-4 weeks, and we’re also a little concerned that - even if we did try to push guild wars through before the end of the year - that we might not have time to get the server backend tested properly.
2. What are we getting instead?
We’re going to release our new Event System.
This is something we’ve been working on for a while, I think it’s pretty cool, and 2.2 is actually a good time to release it, because (amongst other things) I think it will help keep gameplay fresh for everyone.
3. What is this Event System you speak of? Details, please!
We’ll have some more details forthcoming over the next 2-3 weeks, leading up to our preview. But, in short, the Event System does a few things:
- It runs themed events, designed to mix up the meta a little bit
- It contains incentives to try both new troops & fun themed teams
- It can run events where you get to unlock different prizes every week by doing different things in game (NOT just PvP battles)… if we’re noticing people are short of red traitstones for example, we can run an event ALL about getting a bunch of traitstones!
4. May I Have a Pony?
Yes, you may, but we’re fresh out of ponies here, so you’ll need to source your own.