And new week in GW and what do we have --- Famine again

Work means you level your kingdoms to 10 and 5 stars, get cards to max level, and try to get us much traits on them as you can.

The rest is up to pure luck…

One could play for 10.000 hours, and not have a single famine card.

2 Likes

I’ve never stated what my opinion on Famines power is, only my opinion about other peoples opinion on Famine. :wink:

Fighting a Famine? Take a troop that uses less mana for drain and prevent famine from ever casting.
Spirit Fox + Desseamona = cc + kill
Khorvash = drain mana on two troops for the cost of one spell
Succubus = drain and deathmark famine
Satyr or Silent One = Silenced Famine doesnt collect mana
Even Gravenight destroys all armor + does some direct dmg. ONE other dmg skill and famine is history

No pure luck here, no hard to aquire cards, no need for 10000 hours afk play to get your own famine. Btw: countering famine with famine is a pretty risky play, I as veteran player wouldnt do.
Use Cackatrice. Half mana needed than famine, wait for his Famine to fill and then use all those sweet brown gems you spawned to refill yourself, get another turn and drain that death, dk, khorvash while shackling them what gives you double skulldmg and neuters theirs.

An UNCOUNTERED MYTHIC should be a problem when he hits you. Thats why they exist. When you play well it will happen very rarely.

Dont let blue gems on the board against valk-khor-just-mab. You will have a bad time. Remove blue gems with a troop and that composition goes from frusttratingly op to harmless.

Yeah, you cant simply AoE enemy high leveled teams down without eating some spells.

6 Likes

You are not telling anyone anything new. Everyone is already using Famine counters(as terrible as some of your proposed ones are against Famine), there is no way around it anyways but to use them.

Noone says Famine is unbeatable.

The fact remains that Famine is objectively overpowered. It is just plain and simple massively stronger than any comparable troop. You don’t care about it? Fine, but why the hell take part into a discussion about balancing it then, if the sheer concept of video game balance is of no importance to you?

1 Like

Well if you’re unlucky enough to get no mana then why you worried about Famine draining it and insta killing a troop? :thinking:

In the team I have Succubus charges in two purple matches, far quicker than what Famine will charge at, plus getting deathmarked.

Now, with the change the devs have flagged to Deathmark this rarely used but useful (in my opinion) troop will become less viable.

This is why people should be careful what they wish for when calling for ‘balancing’ to take place.

I am usually one of the most vocal with my nerfbat… but I don’t think Famine is a mega issue. I agree its spell is under-costed, and sometimes game-changing: just put the mana cost back to 24 where it started and then leave it alone.

The fuss here is a result of the conflict of interests that GW creates: win easily or win for more points? Personally I go for the former. Yes, taking on double Famine with a team hamstrung by a colour obsession is trickier: those teams probably lack utility, speed and board control (compared to ‘optimal’ troops), and that makes the game longer. Famine’s trait (or two of them) makes you suffer in longer games.

5 Likes

There are over 300 cards in the game, and the vast majority of defenses are composed of 4 cards (Famine, DK, Kerb, FG). Whether they’re beatable, or it’s RnG, or OP cards, pick your reason. But the fact that the list of useful/normal defensive cards isn’t even double digits is a problem, regardless of the cause. Not every card is going to be useful, but it should be more than 2%

9 Likes

Famine is better at what several other mythics singleminded purpose is (which is trying to oneshoot troops) while also draining all of the enemy mana. Sure 4 more manacost will balance that…

Famine can only consistently one shot whilst there is around what 30-35 manas to drain, where as the player cannot reduce Pharos Ra damage once souls have been collected.

So at around the same time where Famine already killed 1 or 2 troops and drained a combined 50-70 mana, Pharos Ra gets going? Great.

Once again this comes back to the point of why haven’t those 50-70 manas been used against Famine??? That’s 7 times you could have drained Famine with Succubus.

Cast spells and Famines got no teeth when it casts - Pharos Ra can keep one shotting troops til the cows come home, while refilling itself. Famine on the other hand has less and less damage ceiling the smaller the number of troops left.

Pharos Ra does absolutely nothing if you keep draining him aswell, so does any other troop in the game.
I don’t think the “xxx spell is not overpowered if you never let them cast once” argument has any place in a discussion about balance.

1 Like

I think the best is limiting famines drain and its damage that way by limiting it to 10 mana drained per troop. Still a bit stronger than psion for more cost and has another 3rd trait.
It would dry out the enemy that are allready starving on mana but not devastating on allready well fed high mana troops.
See what I did there? Constructive nerf suggestions with advancing Famines flavour without recognising all this whine.

5 Likes

Correct.

But the discussion around the parameters that are required to maintain damage over the course of a match are.

Famine has a far harder time of sustaining large damage numbers versus a reduced number of troops. Where as Pharos Ra can consistently deal 120+ damage.

individually these cards are quite beatable. Even Death/Famine can be beaten if you have the right team.

People are forgetting/overlooking three facts here which is what I am talking about

1:) Multiples of the same card together with another OPs - aka the example here

2x Famine / 1 Death
2x Death / 1 Famine

2: Color specific teams - not all colors have enough to build a strong offense to take down multiples.

3:) A good chunk of the player based doesn’t even have 1 of these let alone multiples. This makes the overabundant usage really hard to counter if every day at GW you face this over and over and over. And disheartening.

Yes I have beaten these type of teams, with a lot of RNG and some strategy. But more often even at my level with some serious power house cards, if you can’t keep the mana - it’s a no win situation.

4 Likes

For that you’d have to have collected 100ish souls already. Famine gets hard hits right from the bat.
And a spell that hits hard right from the start but potentially weakens when you get ahead in the battle by killing of enemy troops is much preferable to a spell that starts low, and gets really strong when the battle is already decided in your favor.

But for arguments sake lets say Famines and Pharos Ras spells are on the same level damage-wise, damage is only half (arguably even less) of what Famines spell does, as it also completely resets the entire enemy teams mana building progress to nothing, which is batshit insane, and blows Pharos Ras spell right out of the water.

And that is a comparison to one of the better mythics out there, compared to many other mythics Famine is so far ahead that it just gets absurd.

Famine certainly doesn’t get it ‘right off the bat’ unless the enemy team is full empowered. Famine killing a troop effectively reduces his potential damage by 25% if they all have similar mana pools.

Your next point disregards Pharos being able to recharge himself. I’ve had multiple on multiple times where I can cast him twice in a row and kill two full health troops, this is without giving the enemy a turn.

Can Famine do that?? What can the team do now that they’ve lost 50% of their troops.
Tell me which one is objectively overpowered again?

Again how much does it matter that you oneshoot troops back to back when you are already winning the game at that stage? To get Pharos to these amounts of damage values you’d have to cast soulgen spell at least 2-3 times prior depending on what you use. And refilling himself is completely up to random gem allignment, and from my experience with Shadow Dragon i can say you will have to hold the cast quite often to regularly wait for that kind of allignment.

Famine can fire whenever. The enemy team will have made a couple of matches until Famine is full, and he is ready to go for 70++ damage. If the enemy team uses an exploder, 100+ damage is basically guaranteed every time you fire him. Also no timing required, if he is ready just fire him, the complete mana drainage will make sure it is secure.
And when enemy troops have already died, it doesn’t matter anymore that Famines damage diminishes, cause you know you already won the game…

Just the fact that a card is placed twice in a team, consistently, says a lot about it’s unbalanced power.
I mean, technically, using a card twice is suppose to be a bad idea, because the second copy does not factor into any Bonus, and is uses the same colour, so it steals from itself. Sure, there are synergic exception, like Scale Guards.
Putting a Troop twice means that even with the drawbacks, the card is still better then any other choice.
So, yes, hello Famine, Death, Kerberos, Kraken, Krysternac. Maybe someone should look at them again.

1 Like

8 Likes