And new week in GW and what do we have --- Famine again

If I had to fight that in GW I think I actually would quit.

That’s a bad defense deck, so I would love to face that in our bracket.

3 Likes

4 Famines steals 12 skill points per turn unless you can stun them and wipes out your gem masteries at the start. I won but it was close, and I got lucky.

1 Like

I put up the 4X Famine team today so that might be mine (I will change on Monday to help with challenges). In guild chat I called it “Bitter Defense”, I have more Famine copies than I do other mythics and I was frustrated. I actually fought my team a few times and had no problem with a 4X famine team. I do not understand the Famine hate, it takes so long to get set up you know it is coming and there are counters available as other have stated. Does not feel overpowered to me. Quick Edit, this defense team is only winning slightly better than my normal ones.

2 Likes

Yes 4x Famine takes long to get set up. So does any other 4x Team, even more so when it’s 4 x a base mythic.
Considering that 4 times anything without empowered is terrible team setup with no synergy, aweful mana colour coverage and even worse manaflow, the fact that you actually saw an increase at all in your defense winrate with this team is testament to how dumb Famine is.

You sure it’s how dumb Famine is or players still going in with magic based exploders like Gorgotha out front and still expecting to generate mana as per usual.

I don’t know why exactly, as there is no way to know. All i know is that with 4x Pharos Ra or any other base mythic for that matter you won’t win anywhere near that often.

1 Like

True - but that doesn’t necessarily mean a change is required.

4x Deaths might be similar as versus low level players the 8HP lost per turn would be a fair percentage of starting HP.

If only I had four Pharos to test…

Not saying multiple Famine is unbeatable. We can all win all games with all our Troops.
But with, say, an all red team? Not fun.
So I’d bring only 3/4 red. And score less

1 Like

This, in particular, may be intentional on the part of Sirrian and crew. Do players take the safe route and have a higher chance of fewer points, or do they gamble on a lower chance of more points?

3 Likes

This right here. The AI is only good at three things from my experience, taking 4+ matches, matching skulls and losing troops. And everyone keeps begging for nerfs to troops that take advantage of these.

The AI’s lousy cast timing, and atrocious targeting place severe limits on what can be used for defense. If the AI can’t target properly, then troops that can kill on one cast are going to be more popular. Troops that gain buffs (or debuff the enemy) on skull or 4+ matches are going to be more prevalent. And troops that can outright kill your stuff with little to no effort will be everywhere.

If the players truly want balance and more diversity, they need to be asking for buffs, and not nerfs. The more tools that the AI can use effectively will increase build diversity.

4 Likes

In this case, it’s really not possible to buff literally every card in the game to compensate for Famine. Famine needs to be nerfed, that’s the path of least resistance and easily the best course of action possible.

2 Likes

And the point goes right over your head.

The path of least resistance isn’t always the best course of action. Taking the path of least resistance has led us to this point in the meta. The constant nerfs to troops the AI uses somewhat effectively has led us to the end all of counters, mana drain and devour.

These troops (I assume) were designed to give players a counter to enemies with higher skill stats. Now since most everything else has been nerfed, players are pretty much only left with these counters to defend with.

You don’t need to buff EVERY troop in the game, just a handful of hard counters to the problematic cards.

1 Like

Not at all, the arguably greatest offender in the overpowered department resisted the outcries for nerfs for over a year.
For some reason, maybe due to some sort of similar viewpoint to yours, the Devs hesitated to balance Bone Dragon, which led to a many months holding stale meta everyone hated.

Your point does indeed go over my head, in that i don’t really get what your suggestion is to fix the problem.
I understand you are against nerfs of overpowered troops, but what would your approach be to rectify the situation instead?
Clearly you aren’t suggesting to buff other troops to this absurd level of power the offenders have, right?
To stick with the BD example, the nerf has quite literally cut him in half powerwise(arguably even more than that) and he still is a great troop, probably still the best standalone skull creator in the game seeing an appropriate amount of use, so the BD change was very much healthy for the game.
I can’t imagine how terrible the game would be if instead the Devs would have buffed all other skull creators to match BDs prenerf madness.

6 Likes

Your point didn’t go over my head. Your suggestion of buffing other troops to match Famine is completely impractical.

Hard counters are terrible solutions to power creep, BTW.

3 Likes

Ok soft counters are better, would say Scarlet costing 2 less mana to cast for each enemy beast be better than triple damage to beasts.

Or i that isn’t a soft counter, give an example of a soft counter to say beasts.

1 Like

i think @htismaqe meant hard counters as the offeansive ones and soft counters as the defensive ones

with example scarlet offensive counter of bigger damage vs beasts
and example of defensive counter would be reduced damage received from beasts (which doesnt exist)

there are many defensive counters to specific effects like impervious, indigestible vs devour, etc

but i may be wrong and he meant somethign else? please correct me if so

2 Likes

I think all the Famine hate is because lately it is almost every fight day in day out. Getting boring fighting the same team over and over.

4 Likes

It is that + the fact that its that combo

X2 Famine/Death
X2 Death/Famine

After a while why bother.

1 Like

That’s exactly it. Famine is annoying because his mana cost is too low. But Famine needs addressed because everybody is exploiting the fact that he’s annoying.

4 Likes