You guys really need to lower the amount of chains the computer can get

Yeah, I got what you were saying but went a bit off track with my answer. I think that the robotic inputs that the AI does could set up conditions where its spawner cast is more likely to connect, but I don’t have enough evidence to really definitively say one way or the other, hence I still believe the larger issue is perception. A human using spawners will usually attempt to increase the balance of that gem on the board, possibly taking several extra turns in the process, before firing their spawner. An AI will generally just go in swinging with a spawner. Since I still believe that first spawner casts are more likely to connect (again, contrary to the official dev word, and something that is really hard to prove one way or the other), this may or may not be one instance where the “dumb” AI inputs can set them up for more actual luck.

Everything else I believe that the AI inputs set them up for more perceived luck. In addition to what I have said before, it has also been officially stated that the AI combo breaker kicks in for PvP has gotten a certain amount more “lucky” as the player, with luck being defined in a scoring system that I’m unable to find the original dev post at the moment but includes pre-matched sky drops and extra turns. With the teams that are generally seen on defense these days and the fact that the player goes first and may accrue some of this “luck points” to start, and the overall effectiveness a single cascade can have with the way that defense teams are constructed, I believe that a lot of the problem is that the combo breaker simply won’t activate in time for a player to not get straight annihilated by the events following a single cascade chain. The cascades that the AI gets still very well may be “fair random”, but it is enough to basically close out the game and is also not something that would have happen often on Adobe.

There still remains some possibility that the “combo breaker” is broken in a different way that is allowing the AI more “actual luck” at present, but it is not what I’m personally experiencing. The devs did do a sweep for AI bias a while back and posted the results, but I believe this was before the most recent tweaks to the combo breaker. Its hard to pull back player perception from actual data, but I also don’t think it is something that should just be ignored. I can explain it away all I want, but this doesn’t mean the devs shouldn’t be doing the due diligence. The very perception that it is unfair being so widely held at the moment (theres always a few, but I’m seeing now more than ever) is something that I would generally see as a problem.

For reference, here is one of the many posts on the subject of combo breakers and how they were “fixed” going into Unity:

Sirrian’s explanation of the gem spawner streak breaker (calling it that for clarity, since they also call this a “combo breaker”, but it is a different combo breaker):

Salty’s confirmation that spawn streak breaking still works as described by Sirrian:

(Note that my original findings when the streak breaker was inverted contradict this explanation, as taking any extra turn was very clearly influencing how gems spawned, and it was very clearly active after one extra turn taken. This may have very well been “fixed”, but the fact that the fix came mid patch cycle and leaves me very suspicious as if the underlying code is actually working as described.)

For reference, when it was broken, it looked like this:

4 Likes