Which kingdom is next?

The sakura are totally Japanese, but the kingdom name and troop names scream China.

Why not say the next kingdom is Asian? So both win :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Living in Japan too? Well if itā€™s in tokyo, letā€™s meet and finish talking about this stupid (but funny) story in real life if you wantā€¦ With couple of beer :grin:

Thanks for the invitation :slight_smile: .
I live too far from Tokyo for a beer (Kyushu island).

Iā€™m still wandering how it it possible:

ā† find on Pinterest

ā† next kingdom background

6 Likes

I believe the original is from here:

The artist claims itā€™s supposed to be japanese, so what can I say?

1 Like

Nothing. You can say nothing! We can all let this silly little derail pass.

Thanks.

I still donā€™t understand how devs can copy-paste this picture for their backgroundā€¦

2 Likes

Itā€™s possible if they used the same reference photo.

1 Like

Assuming itā€™s even a real place. And even then, since the artist called it ā€œconcept artā€, itā€™s unlikely to be a simple retrace of a photo, yet the similarity is too great even in the smallest details.

Whatā€™s more likely is either the original artist is somehow involved in making the kingdom background, or they acquired the rights to use it as base.

2 Likes

Just gonna tag @Saltypatra @Sirrian @Nimhain since thereā€™s possible copyright infringementā€¦

As someone that has created concept art in the past, most concept artists use a great deal of photo reference (not tracing). That said, the details in the paintings are close enough that I can see why there may be concern about infringement. Hopefully, the devs know the provenance and details involved.

Hey guys,

Weā€™ll be discussing this with our art contractors.

Thanks for letting us know.

6 Likes

This background seems to be more appropriate for a japanese kingdom better than a chinese one (sakura, maybe the temple).
Depending of your target, you should take care of not be mistaken and put the wrong clicheā€¦

1 Like

Hey everyone, weā€™ve just gotten an update from our art contractors. We will be revising this backround before Shentang releases.

Thank you so much for bringing this to our attention so we could investigate the problem and move on it as quickly as possible. You are all amazing, thank you so much! (Special thanks to @turintuor!)

8 Likes

So next kingdom suppose to be chinese or japanese?

1 Like

Chinese. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Krysterian, clearly.

2 Likes

you may need to make the Sakura go away as wellā€¦Just saying.

I donā€™t understand. Aside from the potential issue of plagiarism, why does it matter if the kingdom has elements of Japanese culture in its symbology? This isnā€™t literally China.

3 Likes