What does everyone think of the class event?

After playing the class event, I can see how bad this is going to get. Compared to most weeks, this one will be amazing. I mean, Dragons from Dragon’s Claw is hardly a handicap, as far as double restrictions go. But, not all events selections will be this good. It’s just not possible.

Honestly, I just played the free sigils + Valraven kills and I could already see the stats starting to raise, I can’t imagine what the end rewards/leaderboard levels look like.

So, they double restrict us, which is worse than Raids or Invasions, the enemies stats increase like Raids and Invasions, but they don’t give us a helper troop like Raids and Invasions. Seems a bit flawed to me. Especially on those bad Kingdom/Troop Type weeks. Yeah, you can kick some pretty good butt with Dragons from Dragon’s Claw (I would bloody hope so), but not every week will be that smooth and those are going to suck.

Also, we can’t forget the obligatory Shop with it’s Gem Sink tiers that are overpriced and not even worth a second glance unless you Really want to Leaderboard Chase or hope for a good card in such a limited pool. I mean, you could get Elema out of the Shop this week, yeah? I wouldn’t hold your breath for it though. Lol.

All in all, I give this week a 5/10, but as I know most dual restrictions with be absolute crap, most weeks will be a 3/10, at best.

** In my best Smash Bros Announcer voice **

Failure!
10 Likes

Oh, also, this event has a quality no other event has: if I’ve already leveled my class to 100 there is no reason to participate.

In Raid/Invasion: every week is new, and the rewards for even casual participation are steep. You’re spending enough sigils to unlock the reward tiers and taking what you can get. For “competitive” guilds that’s going to mean lots of orbs, lots of gems. Good value proposition.

In Bounty: pushing my bounty troops to mythic is a side quest that makes it easier for me to get more points. Points mean I get a lot of orbs, gems, and other things. Good value proposition.

In Pet Rescue: even if I’ve maxed the current pet, I get a lot of pet food for going through the motions. At some point I guess I won’t care, but it’s zero investment so I’ll take the gold/gems.

In this event:

• If my hero is maxed, neither the shop nor the XP rewards apply to me.
  • If my hero is high-level, each set of 5 sigils only gives me a fraction of a level.
  • No orbs. No Ingots. No rewards beyond 1,000 gold and 5 gems for 5 sigils. I get better than that from Explore for gold, and it’s not hard to get 5 gems from a rousing game of Treasure Hunt.
  • The shop is ludicrous and somewhat misleading. I cannot get “over 40 champion levels!” for my Dragonguard at Tier VI. 360 + 250 + 150 + 50 + 15 + 5 XP at high levels is about 4-6 levels.

This event was clearly designed as a promotion for new classes. Everything makes sense if you’re starting with Dragonguard level 1. In that context I can’t see coming out without having gained the first 20-30 levels and saving yourself about a week’s worth of grinding. Having this during a GW week is nice because I have spare gems those weeks.

Starting with level 30 makes it far less tasty. Now you’re spending the same amount to get to maybe level 40 or 45. I’m talking a lot of gems here. It’s still “a week of grinding” but you don’t really reap many rewards. Past this it feels like an insult.

Overall that’s my biggest frustration: choosing XP as the reward means there is nothing for players who maxed. As I previously stated in the feedback thread, this should’ve been sold to us by introducing a new class so we could feel the excitement of NOT having to grind it past its early levels. You keep throwing a hook in the water with no bait.

Idea for a fix:

Let players who have maxed the class trade the accumulated XP in for other rewards. Even if it’s a cruddy exchange rate like 1000:1 for minor orbs, at least then I have SOMETHING to do with class XP.

4 Likes

Im glad it’s a solo event, i just play my free sigils collect gems and move on

Nothing really new here, it just look like a daily task

5 Likes

Also the points system is screwed up. Do a battle worth 80 points, get 50 points?

1 Like

You’re right. I forgot about that. I have a couple at 100 or very near (like 95). So, those weeks will do little to nothing for me. The only “reason” to participate would be the measly rewards of a little gold and a few Gems, which I could easily get from a Tribute or two and all I would have to do there is press one button.

Right, for new classes, it will be something, because you can save yourself some grinding. Thing is though, those new classes might land on some terrible dual restriction weeks which might be too much of a pain to get anywhere. So, you still might be better off grinding that class in a non-restrictive setting like PvP or Explore.

I know what you mean, man. My class started in the 70’s this week, so you can imagine how much I really got out of this event. Pfft. Best thing I probably got was the Gems. Lol.

1 Like

So I’m getting 50 points per battle instead of 80 but if I lose a troop I get 51 points lmao. Well done on the “testing” devs.

2 Likes

This is another gem sink as predicted. Luckily, the devs aren’t very good at game design and as such I can keep using my Divine meta and not worry about leveling this utterly worthless class.

1 Like

There is one nice thing this event just offered me: I was forced to play with my early-to-midgame dragon team again. I must say, that was quite entertaining.:grin:

Also I like this new game challenge it introduced to me:

Quite fun, given how I don’t use this team anymore, not seeing the spell images made me forget which troop is there half the time. Really great!:joy: Outside of the event, the spells appeared normal, so I assume this is an event-specific challenge? :stuck_out_tongue:

That said, my Dragonguard level is already 100, so I stopped caring after five battles, realizing that I’m not even getting the meager class exp.
Shop is uninteresting to me, but then again, all shops are since I don’t ever spend a single gem on them, no matter in what event/mode.

1 Like

It’s a visual bug, maybe related to loading assets and stuff. I had it outside the event.
Oh, and you can gain some gems if you complete more battles. Feels like extra daily tasks for me.

So, I decided to buy tiers for poops and giggles. I had the extra Gems, my class isn’t maxed, Dragons are pretty strong and I thought I would take the shot at getting Elema. Well, 5 tiers later, I have no Elema, but I did get 10 Arcanes I needed.

For what I spent, that isn’t bad, considering the only chest that gives them out consistently is VIP and that costs 450 for 10 Chests. And, theres almost no way I would get 10 of the same kind in 10 chests. So, to get that from the Tiers was neat.

Had I not gotten those, it would have been a pretty big bust, Gems spent to rewards ratio-wise, but it happens. I decided to indulge in the new thing (like I did when Raids and Invasions first came out), knowing full well I’m being taken for a ride.

Will I ever do it again? Doubtful, unless it’s a really strong troop pool week, like this one. All in all, though, it’s not worth it. I didn’t even get the only troop not Mythic-ed in that kingdom that I was hoping for.

In short, this class event is pretty bad. I wouldn’t recommend spending any Gems on it, unless you really have them to blow, or you just don’t care. I did it, once, for funsies. But, that doesn’t make it any less of a bad investment. I just had a “Why the [EFF!] not?” moment and went for it. Lol.

But, it’s just so terrible. All of these Sigil/Shop things are. Welcome to Gems of War 2018, guys. Enjoy your stay. Lmao.

2 Likes

Ugh, come on, man. I fought a battle where the Raven died but was still on the board, so I lost out on the Sigils. What a crap shoot, man. I’ve never had that happen before. Just my bloody luck.

1 Like

When i first posted this it was 3am i was grumpy lol. when i woke up this morn i thought i may have been a lil ruff on class events.
reading most (all) of the comments above made me think…

“Did everyone else wake up at 3am and leave a comment” LMFAO

8 Likes

I like them. I’m not buying into them but I’ll play the free battles and and take the free gems and XP .

I see it as a shortcut for players that would rather spend $ than grind levels . No one is MAKING us play it so yeah over all its a decent addition.

3 Likes

I’m not really a “Leaderboard Chaser”, but thought I would give it a go. This is with: Free Sigils + Tier 5 + Valraven Kills - 1 Valraven Kill (as the game glitched on me) on Xbox One. Not too bad. Highest I’ve ever gotten on a Sigil Event 'Board. It was pretty fun. I can buy another tier. Just debating whether I should or not.

1 Like

The worst of the gem sinks in my opinion. I did my free sigils and that will be it for me thank you very much, gaining only 1 level from 62 to 63. You have to have more resources than sense to throw away gems at this event.

9 Likes

Oh, I agree. Absolute waste of Gems. I highly recommend no one throws Gems at this, unless you have a crap ton of them, or just don’t care. As I said in an earlier comment: This is pretty much a one time deal for me I did for poops and giggles/funsies. No way would I do this on a regular basis.

1 Like

Buying tiers was the worst thing you could’ve done.

For every mode, they’ve cited “high participation”. What they mean is they’re checking sigils and gems spent. If people are spending gems in the shop, it’s a success. If people are spending all of the sigils they get, this is true. It doesn’t matter if players hate playing the mode so long as they participate fully.

If you think the mode stinks, and you don’t believe it’s worth your time, “not playing it at all” is the most effective way to communicate it. That said, it’s clear the current head loser has spent 129 sigils . If you want to argue “they won’t give a flip if I don’t participate” you’re probably right.

The mode is a wild success by the only metric they watch.

I’m going to break out what the current leaderboard means, and what you can expect from this event. In a different order.

You get 8 sigils today. I think the event is 24h, not sure. Let’s assume it is and update the math if it isn’t.

A good “feeling” rate for Valravens is “1 in 4 matches”. It’s random so we just have to deal with knowing our model is slightly off. 8 sigils should yield 2 Valravens for 4 bonus sigils. Those 4 bonus sigils yield 1 Valraven for 2 more bonus sigils. We don’t expect another valraven, so the “average” number of free sigils is 8 + 4 + 2 = 14.

With your 14 sigils, you’ll get:

• 28 class XP for completing the matches.
  • 3,000 gold from rewards.
  • 10 gems from rewards.
  • 20 class XP from rewards.

The above is all a free player can expect. We have to spend money to get further. For the Orb of Chaos, you need to spend (and win) 40 sigils. Let’s consider what it takes to get there.

You need 26 more sigils. On the surface, buying up to Tier VI seems sufficient: that gives you 28 sigils for 1,350 gems. If you buy Tier V instead, you get 20 sigils. That should yield 5 Valravens for 10 more sigils. So you can instead spend 850 gems for Tier V, saving 500 gems. (If you buy Tier IV, you get 14 sigils. which only yields roughly 6 more sigils so you fall short.)

So, the orb of chaos requires you to spend 850 gems and win every match, or 1,350 with some wiggle room. Ouch.

What about the leader? They’ve got 129 wins so far, so they’ve spent at least that many sigils. What did they spend?

Well, valravens make this tough so we’re going to change how we calculate. If we think we get 2 free sigils per 4, then technically we spend 4 sigils to play 6 matches, or 0.6… sigils per match. So we can estimate the most this guy had is 86 sigils, and the rest were valravens.

He got the first 8 of those for free (remember we already accounted for Valravens.) He spent 1,850 gems to get the next 48 of them. That’s 56 of the 86, so 30 had to be bought.

Tier VII gives 20 sigils, so that’s 1,000 more gems for two repeats. It’s reasonable to believe “he hasn’t played all of the sigils” or “not all were wins” to account for the missing 10.

So the current leaderboard position requires a minimum investment of 2,850 gems and increasing. You get 700 back as part of the reward, and a major orb of power. The lower ranks are well within the range that the 1,850 gem investment might get you.

In short: lots of money’s been spent. The mode is a success.

2 Likes

Gems obviously worth more than rewards. Can level up a class as fast (if not faster) in pvp. Just something else to do if I choose to. Nothing else. Wouldn’t invest in it with gems for certain.

1 Like

Actually I left out one final tally. This is useful so I’ll post it without comment.

The shop tiers are:

• 30 gems → 500 souls, 2500 gold, 2 sigils, 2 troops, 5 XP
  • 70 gems → 600 souls, 5000 gold, 3 sigils, 4 troops, 15 XP
  • 150 gems → 700 souls, 4 sigils, 6 troops, 50 XP, 38 traitstones (assorted)
  • 250 gems → 800 souls, 5 sigils, 8 troops, 150 XP, 48 traitstones (assorted)
  • 350 gems → A weapon that is free, 900 souls, 6 sigils, 10 troops, 250 XP
  • 500 gems → 1000 souls, 8 sigils, 12 troops, 360 XP, 42 traitstones (assorted)
  • 500 gems → 1000 souls, 10000 gold, 20 sigils, 12 troops, 500 XP

Further, the 48 sigils plus your 8 free sigils can yield an expected 84 matches if you match my “feels good” valraven rate and win everything. That yields an additional 168 class XP. All of this is plenty to meet all the reward tiers.

So, in total. If you spend 1,850 gems, play all 84 sigils, and meet the expected Valraven rate, this is what you’re going to get:

• A class weapon you could get for free.
  • -1,790 gems
  • 5,500 souls
  • 46,500 gold
  • 54 troops
  • 1,643 class XP (shop + rewards + matches)
  • 128 assorted traitstones.
  • 1 orb of chaos (probably growth).
1 Like

This event is like giving your house guests a drink w hot dog water ice cubes.

7 Likes