Visual change of Traits

Cyrup, may I link you a few things? There are websites which show to “normal” people how people with vision problems see the world (supposedly):
http://www.vischeck.com/examples/ This is a link which shows red-green-blindness. As you can see from the pictures, everything red and green looks kinda the same as yellow (as someone with normal eyesight has told me). A lot of the numbers in the game are green and yellow, stun is red. The black behind the numbers does help a bit - it was way worse before the hotfix after the UI first changed was applied - but since the troop images also obviously lack red/green, the stun, for example, tends to blend in since the red crosses have no black border. I suppose for someone with just red/green-blindness, it would still be okay, but coupled with being partially blind and having blurred vision of what’s still there, things get really rough when a lot of things are just very yellow-ish, depending on the troops and it’s background. Infernal King, for example, is… not a troop I use. It’s like everything blends together there.

The old UI was easily useable for me because the text, the numbers and the effects like stun had black borders. Borders cleared things up. I also could easily figure out what was a rare troop and what was a legendary one because of the different borders. Now they look the same (basically the almost same hue of “yellow”) to me and the stars on them are not very visible for someone with blurred vision.

https://simulator.seenow.org/ This is a simulator for different eye conditions which make things dark, unclear, blurry and so on. This is what gives me trouble with especially the new, purple trait. The “new” hue of purple is very… pink. It does not contrast with the black well, hence it blurs beyond visibility to me. (Fun fact: With the old trait flags, it was the other way round - the purple was the most visible one because purple and white contrast nicely, with orange (=yellow for me) it gets harder and the light blue is the hardest. With the new traits, it’s the other way round, though I feel the new purple is worse than the old blue one for me.)

Also I ran the picture you posted above through a color blindness simulator. Look at it:
kraken
Do you think ANY of these numbers are readable on a mobile device except for the 9? (This is, by the way, simulating Deuteranopia. There’s several other color blindnesses. And yes, you might think that the first trait is actually the most visible one here - I asked someone to verify that for me - but for me it’s very hard to see because its original color is the closest to the black background).
The color blindness simulator I used is here: http://www.etre.com/tools/colourblindsimulator/
Sadly it can only use small images, hence me resizing yours. Wasn’t my choice.

I hope this makes things a bit more clear?
Of course, I can only basically guess what you are seeing or what others are seeing. I have three heavy eye conditions at once. But the simulator just shows ONE at a time. I’m a mess and I know it. Still, just someone with Deuteranopia alone sees the image should show you that borders around text and symbols are IMPORTANT.

My cry for a blue instead black UI is not just because I don’t like gothic darkness. It’s because it would allow for black borders around the text and symbols again and with that would, for example, make these numbers very visible once more.

Please ask me if you need more links or want more information.

EDIT: Found a GREAT link: http://www.color-blindness.com/coblis-color-blindness-simulator/
Here you can upload an image and run it through basically all kinds of color blindness illnesses. This should show you easily that different blindnesses blend out different colors - logically - and that’s why borders around numbers are IMPORTANT.

@Cyrup Sorry for another edit, but I made another thing with the color simulator to show the border problems I mentioned before:
borders
This also has the old trait symbols (just made a screenshot from an explore battle in Maugrim). You can see the numbers are MUCH better than on the Kraken, so it depends largely on the troop. The rare troops is, border-wise, however indistinguishable from the legendary one. I know it’s a rare one since it’s an explore battle, though. THIS is why I miss the fancy borders, though - they helped me a TON in understanding what I was facing. Also here you can see how the first trait symbol is easy to see and the bottom one isn’t very much. Completely opposite from the new ones. Still, the fact that there’s something not-transparent helps. As the life number on the Owlbear shows, the black transparency is just not cutting it when it comes to making numbers super-well visible.

6 Likes