Upcoming Epic Guild Tasks (in 4.7)

Tbh - what is happening here is just business decisions aimed at gaining more margins.

I’ve contributed to this thread and it’s a really good thread/discussion and obvious that this change is going to be bad for playing the game.

It’s not just the gold cost, it’s gold cost for crap that adds to the ill feeling.

The simple solution to this problem would be to cap LT at a number determined by Devs(we’ve discussed this in guild). I’m not going to get into that number, but that’s a semi resonable outcome.

What they have done instead, on a purely business basis is put this ludicrous gold sink into every guild in the game and prohibited most guilds from ever getting LT, in order not to completely alienate a very small proportion of the playerbase who may sink more money than others. That’s the logic, bad logic.

As guilds we need something in the region of 46-47 million gold therefore to complete a LT? This is over 1.5 million per 30 members.

So for the sake of the 1%, they’ve shafted nearly all other guilds. I mean my guild can do 20 LT, we might have done 10 this week. We may still do a couple of them weekly, but the base cost of 600k, would have to be nearly trebled to just complete 1 LT.

The other thing is that we do not need lower rarity of anything. What can we do with coin purses and gold rings, they are useless, absolutely useless.

That should be swapped for event keys and gem keys…I don’t know how there is a determination that the game is rich with resevoirs of event keys, they deplete over time, depending on how many you want to spend on a legendary. Even if you built up stocks, I did, I had 2.2k of them and now have 850, so they deplete at quite alarming rates if you are unlucky.

All this does is put more time into the game, to get less, to feel stressed and games are for enjoyment. I get games need a grind, but it alienates so many this way. Gates put in to stunt progress, then a really crap implementation to give more crumbs behind a veil of ‘you asked for more of these’, it’s a terrible veneer that is seen trhough in the aim of greed.

Say you want to do 5 LT, so we need around 1.7+ million each. At 4k average (if lucky) per ranked PVP battle, that’s 425 wins (not games) per week for all.

Or explore, depends on your gold bonuses, teams and willingness…I can’t face that tbh! :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Well yeah, I posted this earlier in the thread, the dev’s could just cap us at 10 LT’s per week like they did to the glory puchases towards event keys weekly.

And I agree, these are misnamed as ‘epic’ when they are not epic at all.

Yup its currently 15.6mil gold for the guild tasks +1mil per LT.
The ‘epic’ guild tasks will be double that so 31.2mil for a total of 46.8mil, and then 1mil per LT.

If this is targeted towards the top 1% who keep getting 1500 gems in GW B1 as #1, then target them not the innocent 99% of the community and new players that are needed for the growth of the game.

My hope is that they lower the cost of both guild tasks and ‘epic’ guild tasks to something like 15.6mil → 10mil and 31.6mil → 20mil, for a total of 30mil, which is still double what we are doing now but that’s an easier pill to swallow than 3x.

This update is supposed to be helping the players, but when ‘epic’ tasks cost so much, and are not affordable to most, since most guilds only do like 2-4 guild tasks, I don’t see how it’s helpful at all to a majority of the new players or guilds.

True if this update had more keys in the ‘epic’ tasks, then I would be a lot more accepting of these changes and I would imagine others would as well. Keys have a gem value to me since this game is all about CCG (card collecting game) (imo) but I cannot use pet food to buy this weeks new legendary that requires event keys with pet food. Keys have value, this other currency is of much lesser value to myself and most of the community.

5 Likes

The difference is the cost for the artist.

Doing emojis isnt detailed work, is small and a low detailed image.

Portraits are slightly more detailed, but again small and dont have to be heaps detailed.

Different characters and troops etc all have to be done specially, and then have to go through copyright checks and things like that that can cost a lot. There was a mythic not too long ago that was delayed due to copyright of the artwork.

1 Like

Indeed, my biggest worry about this update is the effect it will have on the guilds. I hope the Devs realize that the beautiful retention figures of GoW are mostly due the the wonderful guilds this game has. They tamper with that at their peril.

12 Likes

Well my idea was to use retro- artwork that they already own.

Old style card borders, old style character portraits & hair for heros, old armor or stuff that you can only currently get from other platforms like the xbox ‘snake armor’. They can take that artwork that they already own and use that very easily at no cost, just have to implement the feature which will cost a bit for the programming, but they have the code already done from ‘armor’ vs ‘appearance’.

Oh as an added bonus, I was discussing this with my guild and brainstorming with them, one person suggested that they make different skull portraits available to purchase. :slight_smile:

So if anyone here in forums has more ideas to build off of and give the dev’s as alternatives, I think any and all feedback would be welcomed. :sparkling_heart: It’s constructive & helpful to all.^^

2 Likes

Another thing.

I get the comments re the cosmetic items and stuff, but that diverts the issue. Devs have said we are too small for them - ok fair enough…

As has been well pointed out, those happy guilds enjoying their playtime/friendships/interaction/experiences are going to be a thing of the past as they break up. It’s really poor decision making in the pursuit of greed.

I really don’t think they’ve realised the scope of the punishment beating being implemented…

4 Likes

Legendary tasks were introduced initially because players had excess gold after spending for the guild tasks. There was no other gold sink present in the game. There is such a gold sink now: Delve hoards.

It seems reasonable enough to cap the number of Legendary Tasks each guild can complete weekly. Players who make more gold than that can put it towards increasing their hoard levels. If you are sitting on a pile of gold to make Smaug jealous, you can afford to spend it adding coin purses and gold rings.

(I also liked the idea of different epic tasks adding bonuses beyond pure stats, such as “potion of explosion on all daily delves for the next week”. Just leaving that here in case someone missed it the first time.)

11 Likes

That’s not a bad idea. They cap the LT’s to 10/week (like event keys), and make it so we can use gold to purchase pet food, delve shards, etc & in the shop with all our extra gold as a gold sink. :slightly_smiling_face:

Oh yes, more potions available in other game modes like explores would be awesome! :slight_smile:

6 Likes

OK, well, hear me out. This is off-topic but this thread could use some off-topic and seriously I think I’ve elucidated my opinions about epic tasks.

When I talk “cosmetic items” I’m usually not talking about new card borders, game skins, sets of armor, etc. I’d like some of those things, but they’re larger-scale efforts and I do understand how those have escalating costs that are hard to recoup, especially considering you have to support 400,000 resolutions through Android.

What I mean is like, what if every troop had 2-3 “slots” on which an item could be placed? I’m talking about putting a clown nose on Elspeth, or reindeer antlers on Luther, or a hockey mask on Peasant. How much effort is “a clown nose” vs. “a snake emoji”? Sure, some might be elaborately detailed, but I’m imagining something that looks a little janky in an endearing and amusing way. As in “literally just putting the snake emoji on Tai-Pan’s face”. I’m giggling.

If these are priced at some low point, perhaps $2-$3 per, I think you could even be sneaky and argue “if you want a team of clowns you need to buy 4 clown noses.” For reference, I’m spending like $15/month on dress-up items in another game, I think if you argue it costs me $20+ to deck out a GoW team then my literal reaction in the store will be the 6s mark of this:

I mean like, I don’t want to spend $20 but now I’m thinking of Elspeth with all manner of dumb things on her face and my will literally cannot withstand it.

So just in case the point got missed, I wanted to make sure we’re on the same page: when we’re discussing “cosmetic items” does your opinion focus mainly on larger-scale things, or did you not think I’m talking more “very small items about as big as an emoji that cost a few dollars per”? I’ll drop it after that, your argument isn’t exactly one I see as leaving me much room for further discussion.

2 Likes

Yeah you could think of it like that, a ‘slot’ for choosing what card borders you want, a ‘slot’ for which armor appearance or hair or face that you want. But I was going more for retro- stuff that they already paid artists to make so it would cost nothing for the assets, just the cost to program and implement the ability to change between them. Like if your hero could be Elspeth. Maybe slots too as well. :slight_smile:

As long as they are competatively priced and not $50 each, because then of course they won’t sell at the wrong price point. In the past few years that i’ve been playing, I don’t think I can recall ever seeing a sale on the Lapina or Dwarf or other items even during holidays. :thinking:

2 Likes

I’m still waiting for the majority of reasonably active players to realize they will no longer be able to obtain every legendary and mythic troop. Without keys from legendary tasks the best they can hope for is getting every second one on average on release week, possibly less. To compensate, they’ll have to buy about 50 VIP keys every month from now on to maintain their status quo, which just might cause some pretty bad feelings once it hits home on a broader scale.

2 Likes

I think the bulk of “reasonably active players” don’t actually participate in the forums, so I predict new ripples of drama from first-time posters in the aftermath. That’s what we got after Adventure Boards. It’s crazy how many people spend lots of time on the game but aren’t interested in reading news about it, then are surprised when the devs are like, “TA DA! We’re taking away your stuff.”

5 Likes

Well I think most of the people that read forums are GM / guild leadership so even tho our numbers may be small, they represent 30~300 people in their guild or guild familiy as well as guests on their servers.

2 Likes

I for one can’t wait to see zero legendary tasks per week. “Hey guys, we finally got our +3 Attack from finishing the Red Epic Task! Too bad it’s Sunday night…”

Currently each task requires 2.61 million gold to complete. That’s 15.66 million, or 522k per player per week. My guild completes anywhere from 10 to 20 legendary tasks per week… so… an average of 15, right? Well, boy do I got news for you, because if your guild also completes that many legendary tasks, that means it will complete ZERO after the update, because all that 15 million will go straight into completely “EPIC TASKS!!!11” Fantastic.

FYI: I’ve spent $30 average per month on this game since I started playing about 1.5 years ago. I almost always buy the $20 monthly offer for the Ring of Wonder, and I almost always buy the vault keys during the gnome weekend. But uh, you know, I don’t think I will this time. I think implementing 4.7 without gauging your playerbase and how they feel is a colossal mistake. Yeah, you get to make the game however you want, but we are the ones who play it and sustain it.

9 Likes

I still think this is the entire idea. The devs and/or publisher want LTs gone, otherwise they wouldn’t have put in a roadblock twice as wide as the current task system.

2 Likes

I don’t like the new plans for the update. We were able to hit the legendary tasks but now we won’t be able to even finish the basic tasks to unlock it. I think you do everything for the big guilds with loads of sister guilds. We struggled already to get active people because all the big guild groups were getting all the players now we will struggle even more because we can’t and don’t want to compete with the other guilds that much. It was fun for some time to have a challenge but for casual players you start to make the game too much: Too much of grinding, too much of gold we will need to farm, too many different currencies and upgrade options. Don’t we have enough with the delves, guild events, pet rescues, daily tasks, weekly events? I got enough time to play Gems of War, but I don’t want it as my main job, I want to have time for things in real life and other games as well. I play this game for about 5 years now - more than 10k on my main account and about 3-4k hours on my second account. I enjoy (ed) the game but in my opinion it’s more than enough what you made necessary to play for every day. Do you think about the new players? They will never have the chance to catch up and with the requirements of the higher guilds they won’t even have the chance to join one of them, if there is no lower sister guild. This is a game and not chore but it starts to feel like a chore to me the more grinding you put on top with the daily grinding. It feels like you want to cut down the guilds that can reach the legendary tasks, especially with the new planned update. Why don’t you say that the guilds can unlock the legendary tasks with finishing 6 statues and if they want to they can fill the other statues as well. Or give us the option to get easily gold for our tasks. I honestly think about leaving the game for the first time since I joined it. I was not happy with other updates in the past but I adjusted, but I am not willing to put more hours and effort in the game. As I said before, it started with the delves and the last update to feel like a chore.
Normally I don’t like to write in the forums, but this time I need to say something and I hope there is many more people who think the same way as I do and support what I am saying.

18 Likes

Hi @ClaudiKruemel, there are many people here who feel exactly the same. I really hope they will listen and see how this resistance is different than before. :crossed_fingers:

5 Likes

Thank you SpaceOddity, we were so proud that we could finish a few legendary tasks a week because we are not that strict with the requirements and allow people to have some time off if they need it and I don’t want to change it, but they will take that from us away, when they really start the new update as they plan to.

Well as @Kaheradin said above (around post 322 or so) we’ve had our first TUFster ask to be put on our sheets to quit(our method of moving players) . They said 4.7 was the straw :disappointed_relieved:
Just wait til it actually releases. Rethink this update please.

4 Likes

Hi Junette, I think there will follow a lot more people, especially veteran players, I got already from 2 of my officers (about 3 years in the guild) that they think about quitting the game. So I think if they really put this update like they plan, they will lose a lot of players.

2 Likes