Tower of Doom, First Impressions

Now would be a good time to ask the devs to put a feature to trade Treasure maps for Forge Scrolls.
:skull:(:stuck_out_tongue:)

4 Likes

We have heard your feedback regarding guild chat for some time, and we are pushing for a social update next year that will make guild collaboration and chatting in game easier. We have a number of ideas on how to do this, and hope to update all in-game communication when possible.

3 Likes

If you guys can somehow use the discord API to display text in game from discord, that would be amazing. No idea if possible, but if it is, do this lol

1 Like

I didn’t even know there were chat issues, no one ever talked about it.

On a more serious note, with all the new currencies, even if the rewards are not improved with more gems, an extra chaos orb is nice (so long as it’s blue) or even some ingots. Boons should also be easier to advance in a similar manner to delves as the extra stats is less than GW and way worse than delves. I also think a weapon that regains mana only through blue enemies is pretty bad when it only is really useful one out of every 6 doom battles.

1 Like

Thinking that this “new” mode somehow breaks up raid and invasion reminds me of this classic from The Onion.

4 Likes

Well, even though I might usually sound quite negative I’m liking it so far. I believe guilds with players who haven’t progressed quite as far need a helping hand though. Raid, Invasion and Guild Wars allow everybody to contribute at all times, even if you are outgunned, e.g. you can still whack Zuul for a few points even when you’ve got no chance of winning the fight. In Tower of Doom, once you are stuck on a particularly nasty room, only an extraordinary amount of luck can get you back into action for the rest of the week.

I’ve been thinking a bit about how to make this a little less brutal, there’s actually an approach that auto-balances itself. Would it be an option to lower the level of a room a bit, for the whole guild, every time a guild member gets defeated in it? That way, even unfortunate room compositions can eventually get passed, it might just require the guild to take a lot of beatings. Which is technically also a form of collaboration, which this event is trying to promote.

2 Likes

Just spitballing off this idea, perhaps enemy troop deaths could be made permanent for your next attempt? This would obviously require a lot of balance shifts, but like I said, just spitballing :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:.

1 Like

Any troop that does bonus damage against x color (Like Blue) also suck so much. Amira and especially Vodayoni (Urskaya troop) who does TRIPLE damage which is basically a one shot at the later levels just like Spirit Fox and Astral Spirit. Seriously hate this event and it scales up so fast in contrast to Zuul’goth or Towers.

What’s next? An empowered Tower who does 100 true damage to all enemy troops while casting dispel?! Both Astral Spirit and Spirit Fox on Zuul’goth’s side? For the rewards as well, tower of doom is really not worth it and is more stressful than Delves and the ONLY perk this has is that your troops aren’t permanently dead or carry over to the other rooms.

1 Like

I agree with the rewards being extremely low. I honestly believe this being a new event the devs have set the rewards at a number lower so that it leaves room to raise them based on feedback. In the past rewards were set too high which leads to backlash when the adjustment has to go down. Salty is monitoring feedback so I look forward to seeing an adjustment the next go round.

1 Like

The decision to include Empowered true-damage dealers is pretty confusing. It forces you to bring a troop that can put up barriers immediately, which is severely restricting.

3 Likes

Feels too powerful, I was rather picturing it sort of like this:

“YOU FACE THE LEGEND OF FLUFFY! PREPARE TO DIE!”
*SWAT*

“YOU FACE THE LEGEND OF FLUFFY! PREP…”
*SWAT*

“YOU FACE THE LEG…”.
*SWAT*

“YOU F…”
*SWAT*

“YOU FACE THE LEGEND OF FLUFFY! PERPARE TO DIE!”
“Gnurk, my swatting paw hurts, your turn”

“Next please, I’ve contributed my share”

“Damn, shortest finger bone again, this is getting tedious”

“Watch me win this time with both arms tied to my back for some variation”

“Sigh, now I need another fresh spoon for my bowl of eyeball soup”

“YOU FACE THE LEGEND OF FLUFFY! PREPARE TO DIE!”
“SERIOUSLY? MONSTERS ARE TRYING TO SLEEP HERE, IT’S MY THIRD TURN TO GET UP ALREADY, GIVE IT A REST!”

“YOU FACE THE LEGEND OF FLUFFY! PREPARE TO DIE!”.
“At this rate we’ll never get our game of Humans & Houses finished, everybody in favor of just playing dead say Ugh” “Ugh” “Ugh” “Ugh”

1 Like

Thank goodness it wasn’t stealthy empowered true damage dealers. Oh, wait…

5 Likes

And one of the troops in that battle ALSO summons that troop in question so… woo… At least Astral Spirit could be countered as it doesn’t have stealthy but Spirit Fox does…

Regarding the rewards Stage 7 is too empty:

Even a decent amount of Epic Ingots would be something. The Epic weapons are mostly useless, but people still want to upgrade all of them at some point.

3 Likes

I like this mode on paper. And for the first 15-18 rooms I liked it. The last few rooms are pretty miserable for the reasons scattered throughout the thread. It’s not fun facing troops that guaranteed will kill one of yours on their first turn.

I feel like the troop levels were set based on the notion, “Some players are completing Delves at this level, so it is an acceptable level.” However, even the high-end guilds are only seeing boon boosts with stats around +30-+50 in this event. I can get that from a level 90 hoard in Delve, and the people clearing very high levels have more than double it. If I had +80 or +100 magic, I might be able to withstand these troops.

So that’s my main problem overall. I think you overdid it on the scaling if you want most people to complete this event. Not by much. I’m not sure where I started feeling overwhelmed, it was somewhere between 17-20. But I do know I was also having “a lot of fun” until somewhere in that range. But once I get to the point where a team with an Empowered troop can one-shot all but maybe two or three available troops you own, I’d really rather just play a slot machine or a more direct Gacha.

But credit where credit is due: the event seems pretty solid and I don’t see anyone reporting new, major bugs. It’s a good thing when the problem is tweaking the challenge vs. prizes. I’m particularly happy that we get “a troop that is powerful vs. blue” and “a weapon that is even more powerful vs. that troop”. Nice touch.

Slipping to a differen topic:

I don’t think the devs need to spend time on in-game communication improvements to support this. I’d rather them work on the balance of this mode.

Hot take: If you aren’t hanging out with your guild outside of GoW, you aren’t a tight crew.

5 Likes

Epic weapons are mostly old event weapons, meaning that if you didn’t play GoW a few years ago you likely won’t own them. How about adding one of those each month to the stage 7 reward? It’s not like they are anywhere powerful enough the actually get used, they matter for collection purposes though.

5 Likes

The fact I need only 4 more of them to have them all, I fully support this.

1 Like

1b5

One weapon and 10 Ingots would be great.

5 Likes

But how would they sell the $25 epic ingot pack if they did such a thing?

They could pop up a special offer for the missing ingots once you collect the reward, similar to what happens whenever you obtain a new mythic. :smirk:

5 Likes