Tower of Doom, First Impressions

Since we know Salty is watching the thread, I have a few more unsolicited opinions to contribute:

1. I was mistaken about the frequency of Luck scrolls, so I didn’t understand their importance. I thought they were randomly seeded within a guild, such that only a few players would encounter one even if everyone completed all 100 rooms. This makes them useful as tiebreakers on the leaderboard. What they actually are is randomly placed for the entire guild once every five floors (or so—it probably isn’t a coincidence that almost every guild reports encountering five scrolls between floors 1 and 25). This makes them extremely useful as a way for less active guilds to finish the reward tiers, even if they can’t all reliably get to floor 24. The current (correct?) version gets a huge :+1: from me.

2. Fireball and Heroism scrolls likely need the same treatment as Luck scrolls. Right now, guilds are reporting a huge variation in those, which hardly seems fair.

3. The point of the mode is to encourage collaboration among guild members, which certainly has been the case in my guild. But we maintain an outside channel for communication that not every guild does. Implementing @turintuor’s idea about “revealing” the random scroll once a guild mate discovers it seems like a middle ground between solitaire play and the current version that rewards guilds for existing beyond the confines of the game. (This is much more arguable though, as it might have been a conscious design decision by the dev team to encourage outside communication methods. This then lets them shift fixing guild chat to a lower priority. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)

4. Curse you, Bulette rooms.

5. The appearance of Valravens seems high enough that it might be possible to defeat 24 Dooms—including Luck scroll rewards—without even spending to Tier IV and the weapon. That means players could indeed make this week gem-neutral if they rely on other guild mates to defeat more than 24 Dooms. But it is a decision that will need to be handled within the guild, as clearly not everyone can slack and still reach the goal.

6. The cost of the weapon, and the number of forge scrolls needed to maximize it, suggests one of two things. Either (1) we will see these weapons more than once in this game mode, or (2) the goals of “owning” and “completing” are reserved for current end-game and paying players, respectively.

11 Likes