Thoughts on (Alleged) 4.7 Update

@AMT you really like to stir the pot, don’t you? :stuck_out_tongue:

This update will benefit some players, and not necessarily others. It does give players access to resources that are more gated, but it does mean it will take guilds longer to reach Legendary tasks. I have never said otherwise. With that I must depart, as at this time there isn’t anything else I can say or do. As mentioned in the other thread, I am collating feedback and presenting it to the developers at this time.

1 Like

@Saltypatra can you give us exact amount of gold it will take to open LTs so we don’t have to guess?

1 Like

I guess to some extent her hands are tied. I’m still a bit angry at Salty over some things but I can’t really say she’s been “misleading”. She’s been “measured” and “careful”.

She is a representative of the company. She wants to be friends with us, but to some extent she can’t be. She might not like these changes herself, and maybe fought against them. But she can’t actually tell us that and she can’t join us in the forums complaining about it. Her job, the thing that puts groceries in her pantry, is to figure out how to communicate what’s coming down the pipe in the way most likely to be attractive to us.

Now, if sewage is coming down the pipe, that’s a hard sell but it’s still her job. I’m mad AF and have not been nice to her, but in a really roundabout way I can’t bring myself to say she’s been misleading. She laid out what the system is, how it will work, and some opinions of how it could positively affect players.

She didn’t mention how it might negatively affect them but again I struggle to call that “misleading”. It’s her job to do something with the negatives. They’re obvious. She didn’t have to point them all out so she didn’t. There are a hundred other opinions about these that aren’t yours and mine, she wasn’t there to enumerate them all.

The thing I’m angry at is behind Salty. She has to stand between me and whatever that thing is. I do not envy the job. But so long as it’s her job she’s going to be choosing between “trying to polish whatever comes out of the pipe” and “finding a different job”.

Or, well, the other thing I’m mad about is last week’s thread that was very misleading, but I had a suspicion then and still believe other people told Salty bad information, she reported it, then they turned tail on her. Again: I’m pretty cheesed off at the machine behind her. It’s the thing giving her bad news to report.

So I think it will be more productive to all of us if instead of yelling directly at her, we try to get her to tell us the “silver lining” for some more things. I have a feeling this isn’t the worst thing coming down the pipe. I’d rather see them all laid out at the same time than spend the next six months being introduced to them one by one.

5 Likes

I’d spend 10,000 gems on a virtual gem money pit to watch my Hero dive and swim in.

Does Gems do kickstarers?

OK this is going places.

What if also it was like those coin pusher games, so every time your hero dived in, some gems tumbled out and pushed little doodads around. And if the doodads drop, you get an emoji or a sticker or something? And the more gems you throw in your pool, the more will get thrown out, so you get more prizes?

I have 50,000 gems that I can’t spend because I magically earn them as fast as I spend them. I can’t spend money on this game because I have nothing to buy.

I just got the go-ahead to discuss the new costs.

It’s roughly 5.2 million gold per statue for the new Epic Tasks, so it will take roughly 31.2 to complete all of the new guild statues.

4 Likes

So by math that means we need 46.8 million just to unlock legendary tasks. That’s a lot of gold.

2 Likes

I may just decide to support Gems by putting money down on a company pie face account.

They flat out lied on that thread about the rates, and Salty confirmed that she is just the messenger.

Some would question the morality of being the messenger for a company with such a philosophy about honesty towards their customer…

…meanwhile, pointing their actions/inactions will hopefully benefit players in the long term.
:crossed_fingers::relaxed::vulcan_salute:

1 Like

Personally after my experience here I feel our topics and views are futile as we have a complex player that wants different things. So regardless what one request there is always an opposition. And Devs don’t tend to change anything major once they create it.
Other than that my question is : what will happen with Mythic drop rate with this excessive Guild Tasks. If our contributions is doubled then should the Mythic drop rate double?
And should the number of guild members be risen tooo?

FYI I is drunk and Salty tonight :wink:

1 Like

@Saltypatra

Thank you for bringing the transparency to the cost, at least.

The number is damning. As a guild leader of a guild that currently does roughly 20 LTs a week, that puts us in a position to have to increase our load by 10 million, just to complete all tasks. Right now, a guild merely needs everyone to do ~560,000 gold to complete basic tasks. That become’s 1.56 million per person overnight with this change. I really, really hope you all are hiding something about gold rates for us as well, because Explore isn’t the answer without trophies being added and pet gnomes being added. I know both have been given acknowledgement thus far, but trophies have been pondered as something for next year. In the interim, guild have to give something up, like completing all tasks or losing position in the been-here-longer-board (league rank).

The impact of that is that players who carry their guild (and few can carry like I do) will not tolerate a guild that doesn’t get everything done. The will consolidate to existing power, and there will be a ton of people who are currently “haves” that become “have-nots” overnight.

Me, personally, I won’t lead a guild that doesn’t get it all done, so I have to suddenly become a brutal dictator and raise mins to the point that anyone who doesn’t buy a ring of wonder regularly, or doesn’t have deathknight armor, and/or doesn’t have all kingdom power levels to current max, are going to out in the cold. Honestly, that’s not me, or I wouldn’t be here voicing my concern. The other options available to me are to quit or disband and join the consolidated power.

I would hazard a guess that on consoles, where we can’t play a few pvp matches every time we can sneak away to a toilet, as mobile players are able to, most guilds that would be considered successful currently, don’t have minimums above 600k. Suddenly they aren’t going to be somewhere that anyone who has spent tons of money on this game are going to be willing to stay. Have the “devs” considered that a lot of encouragement to spend money comes from players like myself setting that example? I could be wrong about the impact of that, but I’d like to think that us being mixed in with the have-nots makes you money, and keeps them playing. Those are things that publishing executives don’t get, because they don’t understand anything but numbers. At any rate, this disproportionately impacts players on platforms that require them to be at home to use.

There’s massive inflation of gold cost across the board, and increasing gold income in explore to what it is now isn’t enough. The cost of leveling kingdoms to (current) max and now the cost of tasks represents a +200% to +300% increase in cost, not counting delves, and we still have the next evolution of kingdom levels to go, and the only solution that we’ve been given is that the players who were dead weight because they wouldn’t play PvP for gold can now do maybe 2/3 of what PvP players do? That’s no solution, so as I said before, I hope you’re hiding something about how our earnings also get inflated in this process, otherwise this is just ridiculous.

12 Likes

Since you are giving us the chance to drop gold for LTs @Saltypatra can you give us a rough timeframe for 4.7 to drop? Like its not gonna be in next 2 weeks, not date wise.

This way people are more able to get LTs.

2 Likes

Trophies have nothing to do with gold. There are a lot of guilds with zero Trophy Mins because they do not care about them. Gold will be a problem for majority of guilds

2 Likes

Can you give a time frame of before the next mythic or after the next mythic releases? I would like to donate at a time that is not a holiday and am not getting blindsided from out of nowhere before I can do so.

@Saltypatra Appreciate the response and also the responses throughout the week. To clarify I do not believe you are misleading anyone and in fact having processed a lot comments here I do believe it was better you posted to give players time to adjust. Do I still think this change is bad? Sure do, but like all things gems, the community will get over it and move on even if there is a group of players that leaves because of it. As always we don’t know what other future updates will affect this feature so I’m in the wait and see box.

The answer to this issue is far more nuanced than a post by myself or many others. The major issue I have from the dev side is the partial transparency. We don’t know if there will be a gold boost somewhere, other features, or changes that may have indirect affects to epic tasks. All we know is what we know, and on its face it’s bad, truly bad with almost 100% player consensus( when does that happen in anything lol). The better nerf would have been capping LTs. Not sure many guilds would have had as much issue with that.

Any of our long standing and long winded members here could have helped provide better solutions that would both satisfy the need to nerf LTs(let’s be honest, it’s all about the free keys resources not easily farmed ones) and keep the base content. Instead, as always, the devs do what they want without hearing us out. I get you have a roadmap, but seriously if this game is so small as claimed and needs all the margins it can get, wouldn’t you want the base on your side?

I said it before and I will say it again, there needs to be more communication between some of the top GMs/player influencers and the devs. Currently it’s a one way street and its causing undo tension on both sides.

TL;DR Love you Salty, appreciate your response and keep that coffee pot brewing! Would love to see a round table of devs/influencers/Discord Family GMs.

1 Like

I totally agree about the crazy increase in minimums, and hoping that they are hiding a new way for gold aside from just farming explore 12s as fast as possible. I nearly fell over laughing about the mobile toilet users though, that was amazing.

I’m also in “wait and see” mode, to see if there’s a course correction if/when this hurts their bottom line (and maybe it won’t—I’m sure they have market research saying this is a good move :man_shrugging:), but I really, really doubt there’s some sort of positive point they haven’t shared about making gold easier to acquire or something.

If they could make the flame storm stop, they would. If they could make people calm down (and maybe actually be excited) by saying, “guess what, guys—PVP gold is being increased 4-fold, and other events are getting doubled!”, they would.

No company wants an angry customer base. When they can easily make angry customers happy, they do. Because it’s in their best interests to.

Then again, if the company has lost touch with what makes their customers happy vs. angry, well…not much can be done, then. And it’s entirely possible that the angry portion of their customer base isn’t the portion they currently care about most.

5 Likes

Nevet mind.

After thinking about it for a couple of days, I still have trouble understanding the motivation behind this change… Just from looking at the leaderboards it’s clear that their most successful measure to increase resource investment has been the introduction of potions. The key to their popularity is that it gives mid-game and early-endgame players a way to ‘punch above their weight’, bringing them closer (or surpassing) late endgamers in terms of stats in that particular event and thus making the experience much more fun for them!

Epic guild tasks seem to be designed to do exactly the opposite, increasing the divide between players in hardcore guilds (I’m one of them) and the rest, while making it much more difficult for others to catch up… If you really intend them to be helpful for the vast majority of players, the gold cost and rewards included need to be seriously reevaluated.

As others have said, if the real issue is LTs being unlimited, just limit them to an amount you find reasonable and make epic tasks optional… There’s enough gold sinks in this game already.

15 Likes