This isn't about nerfing. It's about balance

You’ve missed the point.

The poll is entirely about the fact that people only use her for her thrid trait. About the fact it’s so strong she would still be used even if her spell was awful/non existent. I wasn’t suggesting any of the options to actually be applied to her.

You only see teams with Divine Protector because you can use a Priest (Divine) class to have the weapon starting with 50% and generating four extra gems… At the start of the battle having 7/14 manas means you need a single match to be a mana surge with the right banner.

Then you would make all these weapons useless, UNLESS there is some way to help the hero with half mana.

If that’s true, I swear the developers don’t even play this game at End Game. Ideas like 40% or increasing mana cost (that cost applies to EVERY cast not just the first) etc. Is not the solution address the Divine meta.

1. The developers decided to assign almost all of the great Mythics as Divine
  2. They then created a fast start troop that specializes is speeding the most powerful troops in the game (Forest Guardian, Garnok, Dwarf doesn’t have this issue)
  3. This completely circumvents their design balance mechanism of Mana cost (22-32) for Mythics.

Most Mythics should be given “Diety” (or Boss to make Godslayer useful) not “Divine”. As long as they don’t create a fast start “Diety” 1 day after creating the Diety Race a new meta will emerge.

5 Likes

That’s the idea of mana generators. You give mana to them, then they give mana to others. And this weapons do damage. 2.5x hell cat damage by the way.

Only if you build strictly around them. It’s not even comparable honestly, and by building around them, if this game could TRY to go in the general direction towards balance then we should have more troops that are direct counter to some races/types.

But the idea of mana generators is definitely not to generate less mana than they cost to cast…

1 Like

this will be a 24 cost spell, what create 18 or 24 gems, plus around 50 damage. thats still good.

Even with how many it creates it’s not as good as hellcat, since you don’t have control and it can miss. Though I agree exploders and gem spawners are under costed for their effects.

Precisely this, even with a full Divine team and many yellow/red gems on the board it happens that the Divine Protector misses. Whenever this happens it is an instant lose, especially against the Divine meta.

1 Like

The problem is perception - if I cast it and it hits, or if the ai cast and missed I probably just move on, but when it’s the reverse and it misses for me or hits for the ai it feels terrible and unfair.

For what it’s worth the changes I would like to see at the least are:

• Infernus’s damage to be counted as aoe, so submerge stops it and there’s a counter.
  • Ubaset loses destroy the second target - it doesn’t need it given it’s usually 100 damage to 2 target in the early stages of a game.
  • Ishbaala changes green to blue or black so it doesn’t have the stupid crazy synergy.

That’s depens on team and board, i remember how i had 20 green gems on the board and i coundn’t transform another collor in to green with extra tern. We have a lot of troolls which can radnomly generate gems, and they realy good. Have control on the effect, not always good.

40% is what @Saltypatra thought about in one of her streams, raising mana cost was a suggestion by @Fourdottwoone, iirc.

I also like the idea of changing the race of certain divine troops,but which ones? Only the ‘powerful’ ones like Uba and Infernus?
Ketras? When not hurt he deals the same amount of damage. (as Uba)
Wulfgarok? In the right circumstances he’ll even devour someone.
Gard? With Priest/Golden Cog, Mercy he’ll two shot the whole opposing team.

Your suggestion is good, but where to start and where to end?

And to summarize the 32 mana cost, I’d just go along and build a team around the troop you’re about to use. I haven’t touched divines for invade in two or three weeks, I’ve grown to dragons again.
WB has a 32 mana cost as well and my weekly results are around 200:10 on attack.
The current legendary/mythic setup is usually composed of three steps - damage, boost by ‘something’, something else.
WB only has two of these, put in the right team, he gets his ‘third something’ anyways. Even without 50% starting mana.

It’s quite hard for him because his bonus damage is much more conditional, weak AND sometimes the random targeting can go for a troop immune to devour denying any benefit.

We have an easy answer for this: the lore posted by Sirrian every week (or more) since the start of the game. Is this troop mortal but related to religion? Divine. Is the troop immortal and worshiped by others? Deity.

There are edge cases, to be sure (Valkyrie springs to mind), but surely this is easier in general than figuring out whether Bone Dragon was supposed to be Dragon or Undead, prior to the update where dual typing was introduced.

2 Likes

Here’s a new stance I have, I’m not super passionate about Ubastet but I do agree it’s a bit ridiculous.

Troops like Ubastet are super useful in scaling challenges like pet rescues. Even my meta PvP Ubastet team can get scorched and require a handful of tries against the final levels. In the context of these scaling challenges, I like troops that scale with them.

But in PvP it’s clear there’s an argument. I can’t tell if “it’s fine” or “it’s not fine” is the stronger voice, but it’s clear people feel strongly on either side.

I want to keep troops like Ubastet for scaling challenges, and that’s the big reason why I’m hesitant to call for a PvP nerf. To me, PvP is a mindless grind already anyway. It was before Ubastet, it was before Ishbaala. I don’t think it’s ever been as varied as people want, or I think if it ever was, the game at that point was smaller and a lot of today’s players might not like it.

There is not a simple solution. We’re too used to the game as it is.

Actually no, I was opposed to raising the mana cost, it would make Divines pretty much unplayable when run without Ishbaala. I’d rather see the third trait of Ishbaala changed to give all Divines 1 mana each turn. That should hold Divines back long enough to not decide the match by turn two, allowing for counter play. Ishbaala would still provide excellent mana support, just stretched out over multiple turns.

40% is still too high, especially with Divine Protector able to basically fill all troops in one hit. IMO, the best way to nerf Ishbaala is to change it from giving half-mana to divines to giving half-mana to Humans and the best way to nerf Ubastet is to change the race (Knight/Raksha seems much more appropriate giving the character design, and we might actually see some interesting synergy between it and Queen Ysabelle).

1. If you think salty is an end game player, I’m at a loss for words.
  2. “Where should it end…” By using common sense Natural Divine Mythics should be “Diety”, Ascended High Paladin should not.

I’m concerned with a healthy game that has variety!!! not Nerfing everything by jacking the mana cost up. Or nerfing an entire skill (50% mana start) because of poor Mythic race assignment.

For the record I don’t have issue with winning vs Divine there are maybe 10 players World wide across all 3 ecosystems that has a higher W/L ratio than me on GoWDB. And if I didn’t use sacrifice for a few months when console went through 11 months of Justice League neglect by the developers I’d be in the top 3 (or higher) easy.

Spoiler alert: it actually is about nerfing.

As always: this game needs some inherent reason to not run meta teams (like a “uniqueness bonus”, or whatever). Until then, whatever the meta currently is, people will be calling for nerfs to the meta just until it moves on to the next meta, at which point suddenly no one will care anymore.

4 Likes