Streaming Time (Vote!)

Thanks, Salty! It seems I’m not the only one spending times here when it’s best to be sleeping. I do admire your dedication and passion shown to us and the game. :slight_smile:

I am intrigued by this. How can they be abused when they require someone’s invite code? It’s impossible to redeem a code twice with the same invite code, after all, so it’s not like I could spend three days getting the things over and over if it would be time-based.

Cyrup had mentioned looking into making transcripts before in this post from November:
https://community.gemsofwar.com/t/pharos-ra-support-group-all-welcome/33262/95?u=sheba
I think it would be great to know if someone from you dev guys can provide such a service on a reliable basis because otherwise, I’m sure there are people volunteering to do it here - I did it for the last Q&A stream and didn’t mind doing it, but because I hadn’t expected it beforehand, I didn’t take notes and wrote it up from memory, which leaves room for error and forgetting about questions.

I feel there would be no shame in saying “Hey, Q&A is in two days, no one at the office can handle a transcript this time, anyone here who will be in the stream for sure to make one?” but that it would help with getting things organized.
Maybe to a point where the user volunteering will then make a new thread for the answers, you pin it until the next Q&A so that it doesn’t have to be bumped to stay on top and everyone has a month to read it and be on the same page.

Pinning threads is great idea! I just feel bad asking you guys to do things like that, it’s a fair amount of time out of your day.

Codes are like a quick little gift, not meant to last long. If they are left up entire guilds end up redeeming them, etc. We prefer to have a set number of redeems per code.

1 Like

I wrote my - admittedly very short - summary last time in 10 minutes, after the stream, at 3:15am or so, while I still remembered most of it when someone asked about a summary. That post got a LOT of likes; I was really surprised because I wrote like one sentence for each question I remembered and some stuff was pretty silly and not informative at all (Queen Mab vs Hot Dude and Manticore-nose-horns come to mind). It shows how much the community cares about these transcripts and if people care, they are willing to help for sure. Just looking at sites like Lyya’s gowdb or Taran’s fanpage shows how dedicated the users here are and how much time they are willing to invest in the game. I doubt that, with so many awesome people here, you need to feel bad about asking anyone to do the job. Heck, I’m willing to do it again without a doubt, but I am scared I might oversleep and not fulfill expectations quickly enough. :see_no_evil:

Ah, I guess spreading information through guild chat would cause much more people to redeem codes indeed. The number of people just seems really small sometimes - while I had no problem redeeming stream codes so far, I once saw one of you guys give out a code in chat and like five minutes later I went to redeem it and it was already not possible anymore. That just made me feel like 99% of the people miss out and most of them likely don’t even know about the codes (I only learned about them a few weeks ago, after all, and I hang out here and in the game way too much…).

1 Like

As someone who used to transcribe my own interviews, I have to say, preparing transcripts is probably not realistic (or at least not a good use of your time). An actual transcript would probably take 4-6 hours to prepare and would be a wall of impenetrable text without significant editing. A brief summary of key points would be both more efficient and more readable.

3 Likes

I think this is pretty much what everyone is talking about anyway, right? (Disclaimer: I have not looked up what ‘transcript’ means in German, I actually don’t know and just act like I do.) While I found mine from last time too short, I really enjoyed this one from Ashasekayi for the November Q&A. That one was absolutely perfect in my eyes.

Technically, a transcript would be a word for word record of everything that was said in the stream, including every stammer, “um”, “uh”, unfinished sentence, etc. It’s shocking how incoherent our speech can be.

A summary of what is said is usually more useful, but can be criticized for the interpretation and editing that goes into condensing a longer message into something more readable.

1 Like

Ooh. I had to do these things in school once. It sucked. Am certain I know the German word now, thanks! :slight_smile:

Well, given how the answers of the devs are usually not that long, I feel this won’t be a problem here. I mean, it went okay the last two times? No one complained to me about mine and I think Ashasekayi got a lot of gratitude for theirs as well.

1 Like

Thanks Sheba :slight_smile:

I was happy to help out on that one. After doing it, I can see why the devs don’t spend the time to go back and make that summary. It was very time consuming to catch every detail and nuance of what they said. But, it is helpful to have something in writing to refer back to.

3 Likes

Not only that, but the idea of codes is to reward players who are engaged and join in the social events (i.e. Streaming) that we hold. If we have an unlimited number of uses it ruins the point of giving something nice to those who put in a bit of extra effort to be engaged.*

Though I can see your reasoning behind making them with higher uses at the least, perhaps that’s something @Saltypatra would consider :slight_smile:

*Not to imply that you or other types of players are not putting in effort!

1 Like

Getting up at 2am is quite the effort indeed. :stuck_out_tongue: I don’t even like coffee (though Salty drinks enough to make up for that, though that doesn’t help me) or anything that can keep me going after only three hours of sleep. Life is tough. Then again, there’s no stream this night and I was up again because I couldn’t sleep anyway, so maybe I should just stop complaining and acting like I had a normal sleep schedule.:see_no_evil:

1 Like

Where’s the option that Infinity Plus 2 relocates to America?

@Sirrian… Our current President loooves foreigners. Don’t believe the stuff you see on TV about him. I bet the company wouldn’t even have to pay taxes for 10 years.

2 Likes

I got a new phone so i can actually hear my apps now, so i can write up a synopsis of the stream if no one else wants to and the devs don’t have time (which i don’t expect them too). I really appreciated sheba writing one up when i asked the other day. I’m on the east coast so whatever time they decide on i’m gonna be free (probably sitting on the couch playing gems). I need hands free for questions in stream but rewatching to write notes is no problem at all. Just throwing it out there.