State of the game after 9 years

Hello.

I have been playing this game for 9 whole years, since February 2015. It had it’s moments of brightness and darkness. Sometimes I felt awesome playing it and sometimes very upset. But I always could resist and keep playing the best match-3 game out there (I tried different ones, but 8x8 board to use is the most awesome part of the game).

I have to say it’s the first time that I feel like quitting. Game becomes unplayable and I never felt like that so strong about it. Somehow I could always resist hard time by focusing on the parts that I liked and keep going forward. Now I can’t. The last part standing which kept me playing is gone.
Game recently had 2 very good updates (rare!) among tons of bad ones. Merchant update in explore + underspire (congrats).

The problem with underspire is that it’s enjoyable only with some kingdoms. It only shows huge gap in balance between troops of kingdoms/type. Sometimes it’s super nice to explore underspire and sometimes it’s a torture, where every fight last ~5 minutes (and you still lose).
I’m actually telling it since years, that game lost it’s balance and many ultra-rare troops are way better than epic or legendary, but who cares. Devs don’t plan at all, for example who remembers meta team hero/infernus/ubastet/ishbaala when devs released especially to counter it mythic fallen valdis (or whatever this sh*t troop was called) but then they nerfed ishbaala and uba instead, making newly released mythic one of the most useless? There are hundreds of such examples throughout the years. So underspire sometimes is PITA. Balance the power of kingdoms, try to play your own game and see which kingdoms are too weak. If you can’t do that, make less restrictions, only to color or something.

Next failure is new PvP. Yes, we can say it at this point, pvp was always part of the game, where if I hated new updates and newly added things, I could always come and play pvp, the last bastion standing, which could be enjoyed even with non-existant rewards. It was still so-so with these random teams as defense, but now not anymore. Of course Stellarix is a small part of the problem and I hate the idea, but it needs to be nerfed. But there are many more problems than Stellarix.

What is this Blood Frenzy in pvp… it means don’t play this place because enemy get 50% buff while you can buy some usless small buff. Only makes the game slower. I think one of the strongest parts of the game always was MANY & FAST Wins. Not anymore. I made some years ago 1000 winning streak in pvp, now I get 10% loses every week. And I have nearly all troops/weapons and generally top of the world stats.

Journey was unplayable at some point. You lowered difficulty and… it’s still unplayable. You probably won’t even know why, because you don’t play your own game (or you play like we saw on some streams, no comment). The problems with journey started when you nerfed these troops (mana generators) which you release with every journey event. It was still bearable when we could use them. But why you nerfed them? Because you added shiny buff levels which really made them too strong. Sometimes I think the biggest harm to the game are devs. Making problems and solving it with even more problems. There are even famous memes on discord channels about it. More examples? Aranae medals… +4 attack and then you released Medal of Seasons +4 to 3 stats and Aranae became useless. Why didn’t you buff it to even +8 attack? It’s been 3 years already if not more… Dozens of such examples.

Something I had in my heart for years: I was leading with friend some ‘academy guild’ where we taught new players about the game for some years. It was time when “Skeleton key” had it’s time to shine and it was really easy to keep new players playing, because it was strong and easily obtainable. I raised the whole big bunch of new generation players, many are still playing. But when you nerfed it, keeping new players to the game became really hard. Common, it was fast, but wasn’t even that strong, nowadays would probably be only decent without the nerf (and totally useless with the nerf, none use it anymore). How stupid to nerf it, you have no idea how many players you lost back then. How many just left, because after long time they couldn’t get any good team. I can tell it from my own experince.

About GW, if you will ever run it again, you should rather update it to make ally/enemy town where guild master would set defenses of their players in locations to capture. And players can attack teams which they choose at these locations based on their power and team and experience. GW was nice like it is 7 years ago, but it could have a little push forward nowadays. That’s just an idea.

Not sure how much longer I can resist. I will probably quit the game soon as playing it, only gives more frustration than joy. I believe you will somehow make it playable as always, but please! Plan your actions more carefully.

15 Likes

Wow congrats for lasting such a long time in this game! Fully agree with Blood Frenzy and Journey being terrible. Love your GW idea!

Don’t agree with nerfing Stellarix though - the time and resources to get it makes it THE most expensive troop, and I will be extremely upset if it is nerfed. It is useful in Delves and Explores too…I rather think some changes need to be made to PVP alone.

9 Likes

I agree that balance is a serious issue in this game. I haven’t been here 9 years and I can see it! I feel that in general most of the balance issues are symptoms of a few underlying problems. Staff not playing their game from level 1 to see it with new eyes. Bias towards balancing with high level players in mind (ex: Nerfing pathfinders because ultra high level players might make them Shiny). Design staff not always looking carefully at what is there before adding/changing things (I know it’s hard on an old game, but still). There’s probably even more here, honestly. I really hope staff takes some time and looks within itself to try to correct the underlying issues. All else are symptoms of the bigger problems.

I have noticed morale dropping overall lately as well. I think PvP is one of the biggest contributors to this. This is because PvP is both heavily promoted (look at GoW in stores and see it tout the PvP system!) and unavoidable. You need PvP wins for daily quests and certain Campaign step. Paying to skip a Campaign step is pretty expensive and most people don’t want to be stonewalled behind one Campaign step.

So people walk into PvP (possibly for the firs ttime in years) and get stomped by Wand of Stars / Elementalists (Stellarix is a symptom of this problem, IMHO: Stellarix is stupidly overpowered. Change the 3x back to 2.1 - #205 by Marbles ). And those Elementalists then literally say things like “I don’t care about low level players, how they play or feel” and that anyone who thinks that the obvious overpowered setup of the moment is bad is just “whining”. Mix of obvious OP combo everywhere plus toxic players using the combo is going to drive people away.

Can I put your ideas in the “Fix PVP” thread? Or you could post it there yourself! We’re working on collecting and brainstorming ideas with the hope that if enough of us say something in a very obvious collected place, we will be heard. They have been working a lot on PvP and promoting it heavily, so I feel there’s a solid chance that they just might. Thread is here: Fixing PvP (the mode itself)

I know the weekly mode is supposed to be tough. Journey, Invasion, Underspire, ect. But when people are already feeling low from betting stomped on and laughed at in PvP, it makes the difficulty ramp and unbalanced enemies feel even harsher. Guild Wars is down due to bugs, apparently. There is an official thread for suggestions on improving the mode. Feel free to stop by: Guild Wars Going Forward

I hope that if enough positive, lucid players make intelligent posts that eventually we will be heard. I know balance is possible. I have seen games like Gwent where balance is paramount and they even have in-game systems where people can vote on and point out unbalanced combos! I don’t want to give up on Gems of War. Come on, staff. Please do better.

3 Likes

It’s actually the exact opposite. It’s because at best, they’re playing with an account in 200-500 range, where things like Pathfinders may have felt oppressive in pvp from availability and ease of use, yet mythics are out of range to feel their impact.

Its the same level range that isn’t facing Stellarix or Wand of Stars either.

And re: Elementalist…

The only reason people hate it is the Freeze. People hate being frozen. If Freeze was removed and it was just Burn, Entangle, and Stun, no one would care about the class. If Elementalist was just Freeze, people would still hate it.

Does getting burned matter? no
Does getting entangled matter? most of the time, no
Does getting stunned matter? only on some troops. it doesn’t actually stop anything from casting or doing the necessary things.

I was around for the early days of Queen Mab. People hated being frozen then too.

5 Likes

I have been playing every day since day one in November 2014 so have seen many changes over the years. Here, briefly, is my personal take on the State of the Game,

UNDERSPIRE

I believe this game is slanted towards end game players bearing in mind that the free sigils are not going to get you to the end so you really need to have some spare gems and that you do need to have a good selection of troops from the featured kingdom. Having said that, Trinkets are a great addition which can be extremely helpful.
Over time there were complaints that a) there wasn’t much to do and b) nothing for end game players. All addressed now it seems.

I really enjoy this mode.

PvP

Not a fan in the first week or so but it is settling down now and I am sure that easy/medium/hard options and maybe a ‘casual’ area where players can farm XP would be beneficial. I have been enjoying assembling teams according to kingdom or colour or troop types and get to use troops I have never used before ! Because of the original problems with Wand, Stella etc many of my teams now include ‘inhibitors’ to silence, curse etc the enemy team. There is a thread on this in Community Guides on the forum.

https://community.gemsofwar.com/t/stellarix-wand-counters/83782

I think that the “region” (lantern) battles should NOT appear in the Blood Frenzy area, as players who cannot overcome that obstacle are limited then to just one “region” battle option, with the one at Blood Frenzy log-jammed.

I enjoy the new PvP and think it gives the game more depth

BLOOD FRENZY

This area of pvp is optional. It gives players a chance to accumulate VP at a much faster rate by awarding much more VP per win than in ‘normal’ areas. Handy to bag your 6500 weekly ‘VP Goal’ quickly or if you are trying to go up the PvP leaderboard. I can win (easy) matches here without using (the free) booster sigils but it is fun to beef up the teams and run riot for a bit. I would much prefer that the booster timer runs on ‘in game’ time rather than real world time - or if you could allocate the time in chunks.

I enjoy dipping in to Blood Frenzy - it is quite fun and challenging.

JOURNEY

Hmm… well my guild (also established in 2014) enjoyed the last Journey, (quelle surprise ! ) but it turns out that The Cartographer was generating 1 more gem than he should have LOL. It made all the difference. Shame he has been “fixed” now.

Nothing more to add here

GUILD WARS

Most of my guildmates and I are not fans but we still participated and shared successful teams and have managed to stay in brackets 10-15 for many years.

It will be interesting to see what it evolves in to.

3 Likes

I also feel that the game is not as it was. Many updates or changes are made that made the game worse and not fun.

We made so many suggestions and improvements ideas but no one listened.

There are good improvements though such as
Merchants, Getting books from PvP even though the PvP is very very bad.

We even compiled improvements in a list and posted in a thread. I hope devs are paying attention to what their community are saying and telling them.

Unfortunately number of my friends quit this game because they felt it’s no fun anymore. The reason why we play games is to have fun and enjoy our spare time.

I still have hope for this game to shine again and for this reason I am still playing and hoping for the best to come.

5 Likes

After all these changes for the worst it has almost become impossible to recruit new players after all the long time players decided to leave forever. Even for top 5 guilds, when almost all the reqs are dropped. :worried:

5 Likes

I started playing in summer of 2015 and left a couple weeks ago because of all the listed reasons above, it’s more frustrating than fun.

8 Likes

Another boiling point crossed, 141 rooms cleared, couldn’t even reach the end. Underspire got extended it seems, another reason to quit. I spent on it like 1350 gems and reached last dragon only with my 2 remaining torches. Waste of time and money. Make a good update but keep destroying it, congrats.

My tickets were not even read. Waste of time to make them. Probably categorized by title and auto-reply to all of similar titles.

I suggested years ago, that PC players should be allowed to cast spells with numerical buttons on keyboard (1,2,3,4), lots of useless clicking when players would be really grateful for such a simple thing…

Many people laughed at this:

I felt like crying, because it’s so true.

6 Likes

Can anyone confirm that it has gotten extended or not?

I haven’t noticed anything regarding that. Every gate is 7 tiles from each other, and no boss room has been more than 6 tiles off the main path.

4 Likes

Dunno, everything seems to be about the same as it has always been.

Every Underspire I have completed with this week being last entry. Only rooms up to and including Diamantina counted (looking for treasure rooms, if any at all, is done only after Diamantina and I don’t care enough to count those).

Summary

1 Like

I haven’t noticed anything very different myself. If anything, the potential has been there for my Underspire layouts to be “shorter”, i.e., I’ve had several occasions in recent weeks when I’ve found the sub-boss dragons in fewer than six steps from the “main path”. Some as few as “three steps from the main path”, which has the unfortunate side effect of being among the last paths I go down because I look at them and think “there’s no way a sub-boss is down there; there’s not enough space for six rooms”.

This isn’t to discount what @epic is saying above, but I’d want to see the entire Underspire layout in question and not just the one, discrete screenshot of the tail end of things. As to have more information to try and figure out what is really going on, whether there might be the “return of the infinite corridor” issues that have been reported in the past or whether it might be as innocent an explanation as “really, really crappy luck finding the sub-bosses” requiring the use of many more torches than the average player.

My experience isn’t too terribly different from the numbers that @Dust_Angel is reporting, although most of those numbers might be on the higher side of his tally – i.e., more numbers between 100 and 110 with fewer numbers down in the 90s.

I don’t often do Underspire, but around 120 for me this time. (except from the extra I used to fight the chest rooms.)

My tally seems normal, but I am now massively burnt out. So need a break.

1 Like

9 years still banners that dont’ exist for color combonations.

XD

There should be 5 new war banner teams, w/ 5 unused combos.

About banners: For every new kingdom added, there’s a new faction. Over time, I expect all color combinations to eventually be fully represented in-game. On the other hand, we can debate if the game will last long enough for this to actually be true.

They added Mydnight at blue/purple when we already had two other kingdoms with that color combo.
They added Vulpacea at blue/green when we already had two other kingdoms with that color combo.
They added Hellcrag at red/brown when we already had three other kingdoms with that color combo.
They added Nexus at blue/brown when we already had two other kingdoms with that color combo.

Meanwhile, we have a number of color combos with only one kingdom, not even counting those kingdoms whose banner is single color.

So I’m not particularly confident that the developers will get around to “all color combinations to eventually be fully represented”. Their track record in that area isn’t very good, and it’s not for a lack of opportunities to balance those out a little bit. Heck, they’re not a whole lot better on that balanced representation stuff even if you add in the delves.

1 Like

From what I understand, some banners also reduce the chance for a certain color to drop.

Mydnight and The Black Heart have the same color combination but with a different third color (the one with the minus). Also, Illithia and Mydnight just switch which color has two pluses while keeping the same color for the minus.

With decisions like this, it makes sense to be skeptical.