(!) Spoiler Alert (!) -- [Any Details Provided are Subject to Change] (Part 1)

Keghammer is barely used so I wouldn’t be so optimistic about Moira.

Agree on Kryshound. I’m not sure that I will use him at all but I like scaling troops.

True, but I think Cragheart is a step up from Keghammer. Her spell damage is designed to pop barriers for the doomskull damage to go through, and the doomskull conversion means she’s actually useful against non-mono-giant teams.

I like the concept of Moira, but I wish she converted basically any color other than green to Doomskulls. We’ve already got The Maraji Queen for that…

On a separate note, please release Mecha Gnome already!

Along with Dundercheep, the deed gnome.

4 Likes

Moira Cragheart is good

12 mana to turn Green into Doomskulls:

1. as a brown troop
  2. as a dwarf…

You won’t see her used as a front-line anti-giant troop though. I mean, someone might try… (not me)

Not too impressed by Kryshound. In my opinion, I feel like it’d always leave you underwhelmed after casting. I guess if I saw it as a gem creator with an extra bonus, its really good. Do I want a 9-13 variable Blue gem creator? maybe? The Brown Link is nice.

It looks really designed to feed into Moira for this Raid, in which case Kryshound into Moira probably works nicely unless there’s too many stray greens on the table.

Yeah, TBD if being on the front-line is Moira’s best role. She also works in other slots, but her traits do support using her up front.

I agree that gem creators are pretty much on the outs in general, with the trolls being more reliable. But the spell for Kryshound is pretty powerful for scaling content, no? It might make troops that have difficulty with scaling content a bit more viable in those modes, particularly if you can target the biggest problem troops. True damage troops would especially benefit, since armor-stripping weapons/troops do nothing for them in scaling content. Or you can use it together with an armor-stripping weapon to cut problem troops down to size even faster.

1 Like

Sometimes I just don’t understand how troops are balanced.
In the last update on taransworld we see that Gray King (which already looked very good) was buffed - his spell deals more damage, his mana cost is reduced and his 3rd trait is 2x stronger.
This reminds me of Ubastet - just before release, his boost ratio was buffed from 5:1 to 4:1. A few months later - boost ratio nerfed to 6:1 and mana cost increased.

New troop update:

1. The Gray King buffed from Magic + 3 to Magic + 9
    (Spell Description: Destroy all Gems of a chosen Color. All Enemies of that Color take [Magic + 9] true damage, and are Mana drained, Silenced, and Frozen.)

24 → 22 Mana cost

3rd trait from 1 to 2. Better.

Trait #3: King’s Legion: All Undead Allies gain 2 Armor and Magic when matching 4 or more Gems.

Between all 3 upgrades, that’s something you can write home about… Now this is a Shocktopus that can be fun.

1. Stringfiddler:
    Spell Description: Silence an Enemy. Explode [(Magic / 2) + 1] Gems of one of their Mana Colors. Gain an Extra Turn.
    12 → 13 mana

Hit with the ugly/nerf stick. Is it enough not to ruin the game? I don’t know. Won’t help a new player, but definitely a capable end-game terror still.

1. New troops being made, nothing too exciting revealed, unless you care about what kingdom they’re a part of.

2. Mirrored Halls is +2 Yellow +1 Blue -1 Red. (might be old info). The next faction after that is +2 Blue +1 Yellow -1 Brown. (new info)

1 Like

Based on the Id (3056) this faction is Ice Rift.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t worry about The Grey King being a meta changer.

For one thing, the AI won’t know how to play it properly, like Shocktopus. (unless you happen to be running all 6 colors)

On the player side, at 22 mana, it’ll be a good troop, but I don’t see players running it on offense. If a 50% undead troop ever comes out, then it could be threatening.

At the very least, the 3rd trait needed to be upped from 1 to 2. Its stupid that the legendary Hyndla can do that job better than a Mythic could.

I also thought 24 mana was too high for what this did, since its not always going to hit 4 troops.

I guess the damage boost can be questioned, but I’ll feel less bad about casting it on 1-2 troops.

I think the big difference between Ubastet and TGK is boost ratio vs raw number increase.

3 Likes

Destroyed armor was cluttering up the graveyard and enabling shenanigans, now it’s more clear that it should be removed from play. :wink:

4 Likes

A full breakdown of all the new changes:

TROOPS

• Mirrored Halls troops gain some info.
    • Copycat is a Green/Yellow Generator with Air Link, but no spell defined yet.
    • Doppelganger is a Blue/Brown Warlock with Stealthy, again no spell.
    • Glass Golem is a Blue/Yellow Defender, again with no spell.
    • Mirror Queen is a Yellow/Purple Assassin with an unknown unique trait and no spell.
  • Fomorian (Giant that destroys a 5x5 and stuns an enemy, releasing next week) got its mana cost reduced to 12.
  • Stringfiddler (remember him? Silence, explode, guaranteed extra turn?) got a nerf; it now explodes fewer Gems. Not sure if this will hurt or how much (kinda only affects early game players since at max magic you’ll still explode like 10 Gems of one color).
  • The Gray King has been buffed to deal 6 more true damage to all enemies. I thought he was pretty powerful before…
  • War Wolf got fixed, previously the text said it created Red Gems boosted 3x by Skulls on the board, rather than Skulls destroyed by its explosion.
  • King Bloodwood’s mana cost was reduced from 24 to 23, and the trait got a typo fix.
  • The following are newly added troops, without any spell/trait info. I think there’s a couple of factions mixed in here.
    • (Hey you can do nested bullets!) AngelicWarrior is an Epic
    • DaemonUrska is a Common
    • DireWolfCub is a Rare
    • FrostFireMage is an Ultra-Rare
    • FrostFireSpirit is a Rare
    • FrostFireTroll is an Epic
    • GnollMatriarch is a Legendary
    • IceKing is a Legendary
    • KittenMage is a Common
    • Krampus is a Legendary
    • MummyCat is a Common
    • RakshaPanther is an Epic
    • SatyrHunter is a Common
    • TaurosBrute is a Common
    • UrskaKnight is an Epic
    • WargareWoodcutter is a Common
  • The following only got typo fixes:
    • Dullahan
    • Gor’Thrum

WEAPONS

• The following weapons only got typo fixes:
    • Fiend Fire
    • Doomed Chronicle
    • Doomed Codex
    • Doomed Libram
    • Doomed Opus
    • Doomed Scripture
    • Doomed Tome
  • A new weapon, Ice Necklace, has no spell description.

TL;dr A bunch of typo fixes, new troops but no info on them, and moderate buffs to The Gray King and King Bloodwood

So wouldn’t that be ALL 5 Blue kingdoms before we get the 1st Brown one?

Maybe the designers don’t have the color brown on their :art:.
Otherwise, it doesn’t make any sense what so ever.

Maybe they try to keep things exciting and prevent people from predicting the market by being unpredictable instead of following a logical pattern?:man_shrugging:

All things come to an end, and so it seems to be with our hot streak of good new troops. All we’re getting next week is Fomorian, a budget version of Obsidius and Sledgepaw. Great mana generation, but with randomly targeted damage/stun, it’s really only going to help beginning players.

I guess to stay positive, Stormheim hasn’t had an event in a year, so stock up on your blue arcane traitstones?

More like lol, Stormheim/Giants during GW week. Oh boy.

Formorian isn’t terrible. Won’t see play in the upper end though. 12 mana cost for up to 25 mana gain isnt bad. 6 mana cost paired with Titan is better.

I think Formorian is better than Sledgepaw, anyways. 1 mana cheaper and actually does some kind of damage. Lack of Curse/Bleed is sad but not the end of the world. Formorian pairs better with Gorgotha, another early game friendly troop.

1 Like

Interesting. Didn’t realize event stat bonuses dictated troop selection THAT much during GW.

Yeah, destroy 5x5 is the best mana gen in the game, though hard to combo off of. I haven’t messed with any of them yet, but I wonder how well they create extra turns when a storm is active (given the streaky skyfall of this game).

Can’t say I agree on the Sledgepaw comparison though. Random stun plus 25 damage vs untargeted (stealthy-proof) first slot curse+stun, at only 1 more mana cost? Tough sell (though Sledgepaw still isn’t great, pretty much a scaling-content-only troop).

This would be the worst time to stock up. Unless I’m missing something you still have to do explore like usual and Stormhiem will have a lot of buffed troops making it harder.

Misinfo, disregard.

Summary

I was referring to the fact that Fomorian comes with the Stormheim arcane traitstone when you buy him in the shop.

1 Like