So what's the story behind your gamer handle?

As long as the good half isn’t the dirty half.

Oh that was a rotten one, but YOU started it !!!111

2 Likes

That’s actually correct. I applied it same on the famous “everything’s answer is 42”. 42 in Japanese is Shi and Ni. Which together means Shini or Death

2 Likes

Normally you would write Nick as Ni Ku not in the main alphabet tho. For you the Katakana would have been used

2 Likes

We’re veering increasingly off-topic here, but: just like how in the Western world we have superstitions about numbers like (lucky) 7 and (unlucky) 13, in Japan, 4 is considered unlucky, due to its association with the word “death.”

2 Likes

Off topic, that’s what these threads are for!

I know Asian superstitions get a lot of play for how silly they can be, but I think Ukrainian superstitions don’t get enough credit for how ludicrous they are… like not wanting the moon to shine on you, and I swear to god there was an old-world dude at my grandmother’s church that used to wear a cabbage leaf on his head!

3 Likes

I know how you feel, Emos. People assume my name has something to do with anime, or that it sounds like some fake Japanese thing. I didn’t even know what anime was back then!

Dan, cause most scoreboards had only 3 dashes… and my real name is Daniel.

Oh gosh mine is embarrassing.

It started off as M3KK which is an abbreviation of my name plus my fiancées (who got me into gaming and started my need for a Tag) and all I could think up at the time was to combine our names, but I didn’t like the sound of Mekk and so I turned the E into a 3… and then I quickly realized that I needed a few different choices (and that my original one is so so lame) so it turned into Mekka and Mekkalyn, because my middle name is lyn.

I ended up with multiple variations but I’ve stuck with Mekkalyn with all newer accounts/characters/games.

So original! Hah.

5 Likes

Well I am guessing it’s my turn now.

My very first online screen name was for online game called theninja-rpg back when it started out I think in 1998. Took me days to figure a name and I eventually created my name nospaces. Stuck with me for a long time.

Then I met a great guy online who literally had no problem spending real money on me in this game, He had started to call me Nono. I didn’t like it at first but eventually it just caught on. We were great pals and essentially gave me an in game “Image”. I was a quite feared raider in this game but eventually this guy just stop playing. No reason given. Weeks passed and nothing. The developers did me a favour and IP addressed him and found he passed away. So since then I have kept the name Nono.

After that I been picked variants of Nono due to what’s happening in life. 2506 is the most important date to me so I added it to Nono :slight_smile:

And that’s all folks!

12 Likes

Is this the same Warlords that resembled Civilization? But had Devils and different levels of hatred toward the other colors? I played that game a lot… Kind of like Civ meets Risk.

My tag is pretty self-explanatory once you know what the HK stands for.

Honor-Kills. Yeah it’s a WoW reference.

5 Likes

Sigh if you insist…

Mine is from Star Wars novels (the now non-canon - glare - Expanded Universe). Supreme Overlord of a race of invasive aliens, 25-30 years after Episode IV, 21 books’ of buildup and so on.

Spoilers for the books - Actually guilty of being both a puppet and yet another villain who commits what is probably known as Suicide By Skywalker, since Luke is protected by both plot armor and near-absolute Jedi mastery by this point. Of course I didn’t know any of that at the time since the series wasn’t fully released. More info here.

Anyhow been using this since 2002 I think.

Also has literally nothing to do with my avatar, which is obviously Salamence. Yes. Obviously.

5 Likes

I started using variations of my first name, but at some point in WoW my husband and I wanted to make a duo of characters. His was named Skylla. Both are deliberately not spelled exactly right, to ensure the names were available.

I liked mine a lot and took it as my default nick for when I don’t want people to see at a glance where I am from or what gender I am.
He already had a default handle so no Skylla outside WoW.

From the combination of names the source should be recoverable :wink:

4 Likes

Like, woah, maaaaaaaannnnnnn…

Way off topic here, but I do believe that Douglas Adams went on record saying that he chose 42 “because it sounds funny when you say it”.

I love the concept of this thread. You guys should keep it up.

“Kurokazna” was the surname that got used for one of my characters in a thing I was writing years and years ago. I don’t remember how the name got there, but it became my handle online after three hours of trying to find a username that would work. Lo and behold, countless sites later, I have yet to run into a situation where someone already has the name. So, it stuck.

Next story is far more interesting.

I have another name that I use some places, Pelnar. I am very bad at creating names and I think this one came from some random name generator that I used for my first neopet. Red xweetok, if anyone cares. Cute as hell, and I really liked the name, so when I went to play PWI, I used it as a name for my Venomancer, a class that can transform into a fox. I gained a bit of notoriety there, but eventually quit. Now, on to a private server for that game, some years later, I used the same name for the same class of character. Except I was more intelligent than I had been before, and the environment on the private server had a small niche in it that had not been carved out yet.

Some people, way, way, way back when the game first launched, were using light and heavy armor on this arcane class. I decided that it looked cool, but in the base game, it had been nerfed into obsoletion. On this new server though, I saw bits and parts of things remaining that would let me cobble together what would become the server’s first heavy armor arcane support class build.

People laughed and laughed. They underestimated me and mocked me for my lack of damage. Then I eventually got pissed and decided to see just how hard I could hit. And from that point forward, I essentially had a “Delete X player from the game” combo on a two minute cooldown. It oneshot people. As something built to have no damage.

At this point, the lead dev took note of me,and I started asking for small buffs, taking advantage of the community’s low opinion of me and my sheer force of presence in online forum communities for games that I enjoy. I got what I asked for and then some. Every single build in the game save for mine ended up getting hit like a truck with a survivability nerf. Accuracy, the only stat in the game that stopped people from hopping on the bandwagon that I started, got buffed across the board.

This is great, but now I had a bunch of people playing Light armor attack speed Venomancers, trying to deal so much damage while being so squishy.

My voice turned the tide in a months-long debate about class-restricting certain kinds of accessories. Where I had previously been against it, I told the lead developer what I saw as the problem here, and what people could do if they got their wits about them. He tended to agree with me on how HA Veno should be played and told me that he agreed that these LA click-to-win builds were unhealthy for the game. These rings, that Venomancers could no longer use, are what made Light Venos viable. So they were forced to either play tanky or go to another class.

My build at this point, and the guide for it had already gained quite a few followers and copycats, but after the gutting of the LA build, people flocked to me, and the guide I had written, which was regularly updated as I learned more and more about what I was doing.

HA Veno on that server is now a thing. Not a popular thing, and definitely the least played build on the server, but I made the numbers go from literally zero to a couple hundred, maybe even a thousand, on a 10-20k person server.

That series of events made that name stick, for when I make characters in things like Diablo or MMORPGs. If you ever see a Pelnar roaming around. Message her and say “Hi, Kuro!”

I’ll know you’re probably from this thread.

5 Likes

I feel like he took the reference from that.

Back in the early 90’s my friend got me into playing spade and pinochle on Yahoo. I had to come up with a gamer tag. He was Spadecheck. I came up with Pinoking. It simply stuck with me.

3 Likes

That’s the one!
I used to jealously read the CGW charts every month… Civ was always #1 or #2, and we were always #2 or #3!

8 Likes

Wow are you Steve Fawkner? That was one of the earliest fantasy strategy games and has influenced a lot of late titles, including the Heroes of Might and Magic series.

3 Likes

Yep - that’s me… the games industry just can’t get rid of me, it seems.
I actually (eventually) got to help design a Heroes of Might and Magic game with Ubi Soft (HoMM 5) about a decade ago. Love that series!

13 Likes