Sirrian's Design Thoughts (Last 4.7 Epic Task Update)

I don’t think the house will fall so long as it’s player-supported.

It stopped being Sirrian’s game when publisher money started supporting it. That is a very inconvenient and sometimes heartbreaking aspect of artistic endeavors. He is talented, and I’m sure he could find work elsewhere, but to leave would likely mean he can’t ever be associated with Puzzle Quest again. I get why that’d be a hard sell.

But it also means when the publisher comes to him with changes he doesn’t want to make, they have leverage. He doesn’t get to say “no”. They decide what PQ and GoW are now, because they funded it. Stories like this don’t usually end with the original owner getting their rights back unless somehow the property is so devoid of value the company doesn’t want to bother keeping the trademark around.

That’s what More does to you. It takes all that you give it, until there’s nothing less.

3 Likes

Total agreement yet again. But Sirrian should adhere to the party line and not suggest healthy playstyles that his publishers have no interest in. I respect that his thoughts are well intended but they are meaningless if he and the devs have zero capability to implement them. The “company” are blatantly abusing those who have invested the most. And now we have a Stockholm syndrome where such investors feel they can’t leave because of what they have already spent. The entire basis of the publishers attitude would make an excellent PhD thesis for students of psychology.

1 Like

He’s basically telling you to get off the train because he sees where it’s headed. I generally play a “healthy” amount, I’m not a completionist and don’t support the cult of more. But I do support the devs trying to create fun, they seem like good people, and I subscribe to the twitch stream because (I hope) that money goes directly to them and not the cult of more.

Eh, I’m not getting off the train. I still like the core “I can play a match-3 as many times as I want and finish a game in 2-3 minutes or less” gameplay. That’s the itch I really need GoW to scratch. The thing that’d kill it is a daily limit or stamina system for PvP, Explore, and Arena.

But it’s harder and harder to feel involved with the game, because it’s asking me for More when I’m already giving all I am comfortable. I used to write fun little tools, and I was close to finishing a neat one to help with teambuilding, but it’s hard to plan out spending a couple of months’ free time on a game that seems to be telling me I’m not Good Enough Anymore. Generally it’s an F2P’s job to tell me I’m “almost” good enough. I don’t think GoW is being that cute at this point. So I am putting my head down and focusing on the parts I like. It’s all I have left.

5 Likes

You’ve got a point but until delves are fixed there is zero concept of healthy playstyle. Minimum 150 fights plus tiers galore in a single day. That is just sickening. I can’t do a full delve in one day because it’s horrific to even contemplate. This is the most obscene abuse of players that I have ever seen. Rubbish troops that need tier buy ins of serious investment to prevail. We have long since been promised a solution to this torture but we are clearly never going to get it. Delve is without question the worst aspect of any game I have ever played. And every faction maintains the “crap troops, spend or die philosophy”. Delve needs toned down. Some grind is palpable but this most definitely is not. Shame on you.

Yeah, some people see “zero concept of a healthy playstyle” and decide they’re going to do something else. Others do it and complain that it hurts.

That’s my point. The people who designed it know there are some players who don’t think about “healthy” and only think about what they’ll lose if they don’t do it. So long as they keep doing it, it’s going to keep coming. More never asks for less.

The game wasn’t always like this.

3 Likes

Well said ever since explore was changed I am STILL to even receive one token of Anu or Nysha after HOURS of play. I am not an endplayer I am only level 1050 still need at least 100 troops, the amount of times I only receive 1 token is ridiculous when I am supposed to get 2 (difficulty 10). Not only that since the update where have all the gnomes gone??? Last weekend I played for a great amount of hours scoring over 10k+ on PVP when it was supposed to be vault weekend I saw 1 treasure vault. As for pet gnomes are they extinct??? In the UK on PS4 we have no option to get pet gnome bait as there is no such thing as GUILD ELITE over here. (Not that I would pay $28) . It’s all well and good making all these things for players laden with gold, or guilds laden with gold, some of us only manage to fully complete one of the normal ones if we are lucky. As usual there is NO consideration for the low to middle players who are struggling to keep on top of souls to level up troops, gold for guilds and building up kingdom’s, contents in chests recently have been poor. Guild chests even on level 5 contain all white troops, gem keys only the lowest ranking troops, how the hell anyone is supposed to catch up to the big boys is beyond me.

1 Like

Pet gnomes only spawn in pvp/cpvp.
Have you tried using gold boosting? Cedric/greed/skeleton key/egg thief.

Sorry you are struggling.

2 Likes

If you can provide a series of screenshots (or better yet, video) of you doing a mythic boss room at level 10 and only getting one token, that would be awesome. You’re completely right that level 10 is not supposed to award one token, and I haven’t noticed it before (I am not saying it didn’t occur, just that I missed it).

And if you are sticking to level 10 explore, that helps explain why you are not seeing many high-level tokens. The Anu/Nysha drop rate is about half at level 10 what it is at level 12.

3 Likes

They spawn in Arena too, unless that was changed.

1 Like

I can verify that they still spawn in Arena after the update.

3 Likes