Scorpius in GW Bugged Scoring Wise

It turns out that using opaque, esoteric rules to run a major and competitive part of the game ends up causing confusion.

3 Likes

Loosing 3 troops = -300 points.

And no it’s not a bug. If you lost 3 troops let’s assume at 3 different battles, it means AI did at least Life+Armor of one troop damage. So it’s almost impossible to maximize your damage bonus if you used insta-kill skills (if you assume that Life+Armor of each troop is more or less equal).

1 Like

How do you figure?

That’s a fair point.
They need to update the damage classification to include “lethal” then.
And it sounds like Scorpius is a worthless troop guild wars wise. Unfortunate. But moving on…
Today is Red day… Therefore my frustration has changed to them.
“Insta-kill” - Better not do it for the player or it will cost you points.
"Insta-kill - But for your defense we encourage it.
Scored 9.3 today with the best team to use against Dwarfs. But nothing, save RNG, can stop the AI from taking out a troop on the first turn.

Experience.
Everyone in Bracket 1 gets 50% color bonus each day.
In every other bracket it’s all depends on the level of your guild statues.
I should know since we just got our statues over 100 a few months ago.
And I’ve been in every bracket between 1 - 800. Except for Bracket 2… Never been in that Bracket weirdly enough. Knocks on wood that we don’t drop a bracket this week now

I don’t think that’s exactly true. If an insta-kill will allow you to finish the enemy off more quickly, it is still to your advantage. You decrease your action count (preserving more points) and prevent that enemy from doing damage or collecting mana. So long as your other troops are still doing enough damage that you can achieve a 4:1 ratio, you can still maximize your score.

4 Likes

I’d be willing to bet 95% of guilds in bracket 5 and higher are at statues over 100. A lot of the guilds in those brackets have been around a long time and that’s all you need to get them there. So your bonus shouldn’t be any higher just because you’re in B1.

1 Like

Not according to @turintuor. And I agree. If I’m only getting 80 damage counted for me from Scorpius. And the other 2 troops are only worth 90 a piece. But I’m only getting 45 from them because of EK. I’m winning the battle but losing the war.
Yes few moves. But not enough to compensate for evidently the points lost because of damage.
Plus isn’t Mana collection part of the score? Cause once he casts, then I’m down to 3 troops collecting Mana.
The frustration is… The team used to rack up points before the update. But hasn’t since. From the round table discussion we’ve had from this. I’m starting to think it used to be bugged. And now it isn’t. Idk. :thinking:

All I’m saying is that I know everyone in Bracket 1 gets a 50% color bonus. I don’t assume that for every other guild in the game. I don’t believe he even said he was in Bracket 1-5.
We were in bracket 3 and won despite getting a lesser color bonus than our competition.
What are you here for @vanyel? I believe I asked for support on my issue with Scorpius. Not for someone to read every post looking for things to argue about. Thanks for the interest in what I have to say. But unnecessary attention.

Mana and damage are all based on ratio. Let’s say your troops and your opponents all have 50 life and armor. You use EK twice to kill the first two and Scorpius once to kill the last two. You’ve scored 100 points worth of damage (50 worth of life for the 2 EK kills and zero for the Scorpius - ignoring any damage done by poison, skulls or anything else) . If you use skulls to kill all 4, you’ve scored 400 points worth of damage. However, neither of those numbers means anything without knowing how much damage your opponent has done to you. If you can limit their damage to 25 (by quickly executing your 3 kill-casts), you’ll get a maximum damage score. If the battle drags on and they have done 200 damage by the time you execute your 3 casts, you’ll have a lousy damage ratio. Insta-kills and true-damage result in shorter battles by allowing you to bypass armor and life but still allow you to get maximum scores so long as you aren’t in a lengthy slugfest. You just need to design your teams accordingly and adjust your style likewise.

2 Likes

Oh. So I’m fd over by those 3 consecutive skull damage sky falls that the AI gets during the match.
I forgot I was playing a RNG based slot machine for a second. That makes sense.

Ok stepping away now. I’ve been trying to honestly understand what you’re issue is and honestly tried to explain how things actually work for both of us to understand what’s going on. But you’re hellbent that there’s a bug or was a bug when you’ve clearly stated you didn’t track the other 4 variables involved in scoring and don’t want to.

So have fun when support tells you there isn’t a problem and wasn’t one. Don’t ask questions when you aren’t patient enough to have people help you through it. :wave:

1 Like

Sure, but that’s always the case. Random skull drops will hurt you more if you’re using a true-damage or insta-kill approach, but by shortening the battle, you’re also reducing the number of opportunities for skydrops to fall against you. If you want insurance against that kind of thing, put Gorgotha or Stonehammer up front.

Everything about GW scoring is designed to force you to make choices. Looping increases your mana ratio (good) but also your action count (bad). True damage and insta-kill decrease your action count (good), but decrease your damage ratio (bad). 4x color teams give bonus points (good) but reduce team synergy and limit mana collection (bad). I could go on and on…

7 Likes

That’s all I want! Lol
A simple “we will look into it” or “Scorpius is working as intended” from a Dev.
Which is why I posted it under “support” and “not game play discussion”.

1 Like

I do have a tendency to let the AI do skull Damage since I thought the better play was to get Mana. But with that kind of team. I can see how it can hurt me in points.
Thank you @Stan for the actual education and advice.
(Scorpius is still bugged though. :wink:) Lol

1 Like

@Saltypatra
This conversation has gotten too cold. Since I did post it under support. Can I get a resolution on this? Or is submitting a ticket a better use of my time than stating my issue here?

What do you want?

Ooops, the devs made another mistake and somehow adjusted GW scores without noticing?

Yes.
I weirdly want to know what to expect in terms of points when using a build.
Finding out after a match is not my preferred method.
So to reinstate my question.
Before the update Scorpius scored higher. But there was a bug that allowed it take 3-4 troops out in one turn.
So the guild wars score may have counted all that as damage.
Post update the bug is fixed and the scoring is less.
I would like to know if it’s working as intended and was bugged score wise. Or if presently there’s a bug that’s making it score less than intended.
Brown day is a shitty day in terms of troop choices. So I need to know if my Scorpius team is as useless as it was last week.
I wouldn’t bring it up again if it wasn’t a big deal to me.

Off the top of my head: Famine, Gorgotha, Gard’s Avatar, Elemaugrim, Khorvash, Cockatrice, Ragnagord, Bone Dragon, Kerberos, Ketras, Highforge (and a bunch of helpful dwarves), Pharos…

What more do you want?

2 Likes

Yes, those are all Brown troops. And yes I’ll have to make different builds to win with. Since Scorpius isn’t worth the deduction.
I guess I was just excited to have a new Mythic that wasn’t useless and wanted to use him in GW. My mistake.
EK also deducts points so he’s out. Kerb devours he’s out. You named 12 troops off the top of your head and 2 of them are in the same boat as Scorpius. And only 5 of the 12 can actually do damage to score points with. So thank you for making my lack of options point for me.