Rewarded Ads (A Break Down for the 4.9 Update)

F2P games tend to be the most expensive.

2 Likes

Iā€™ll be curious to see what ads come
Will it be for other games, some unique to region ads, some independent companies trying to gain recognition
Or will it be what I expect, the same giant multinational corporations that already are everywhere
9 out of 10 whitehelm troops prefer Pepsi

4 Likes

We might have to go a little further back than app stores and facebooks to find the start of free games relying on income through advertisements and ingame purchases. I think, browser games around 2000 might roughly mark the starting point to this trend (not counting adware games on floppy in the 90s). I definitely remember heated debates about premium features in 03.
Otherwise a solid summary. Giving game developers the idea, that they could farm processing power as yet another way of income is certainly nothing we want to do. While I doubt, my poor old, overworked PC would mark a difference for a game, that does not deserve it, it certainly wonā€™t make the publishers discover their generous side and suddenly tune down all other forms of income (also remember that they could easily set up reward tiers for higher available processing power. Wanna bet, there are maniacs, who would buy more powerful hardware to get a handful of gems more?).

Regarding your first paragraph, paid games are not dead yet.
Puzzle Quest is at 10 ā‚¬, from what I see, and I would argue, Gems of War is still far from that quality level. A nice prove, how ā€œmore contentā€ does not equal ā€œbetter gameā€.
Just for comparison, how much was the price for 0.1% of this game, a.k.a. a mythic?

People always find something to complain about, regardless of whether they have it good or bad. Itā€™s true in the real world and especially so on the internet.

I donā€™t expect any game to completely break the norm of its industry. Peopleā€™s values on time gained from entertainment are often morbidly out of perspective when it comes to free to play games. You can spend $40-$60 on dinner at a restaurant or a trip to a movie theater easily. Thatā€™s roughly two hours of entertainment. If you buy most video games in the same price range, youā€™re looking at 10-50 hours of entertainment usuallyā€” more only if youā€™re into RPGs.

But free to play games? People want an endless, fun timesink either for free (at worst) or after paying once for a normal gameā€™s price (at best). You can never leave development, and you continually have to pay to keep servers running. Even if every single player ā€œbuysā€ your game for whatever price you set (generally seen as $60 for Deathknight Armor in GoW) your return on investment will eventually dwindle and the game will die unless you provide yourself with additional opportunities to earn revenue. The console industry does this by re-releasing their games every few yearsā€” look at Call of Duty, Battlefield, whatever. You have to keep repurchasing very similar games because thatā€™s the most viable way to keep multiplayer-based games running on servers endlessly while still making good money for the developers. People wonā€™t tolerate that in the mobile industry, however, so developers try to extend longevity via other means.

People donā€™t want to hear that, but itā€™s just how it is. You have to keep paying for a multiplayer video game for that game to keep running. That can either be directly through additional purchases or indirectly through time (such as ads). Villainizing companies for taking basic steps to ensure longevity is excessive and overly entitled. And on a personal note, it also strikes me as highly out of touch relative to more noxious business practices, pay-to-win schemes being the most noteworthy.

I support the addition of optional ads to this game. Iā€™m not even against the pay to remove ads model. Itā€™s not a crime against humanity or even general decency.

5 Likes

Enough arguing, just bring on the 4.9. Weā€™re all going a little stir-crazy and could use the distraction.

Well of course paid games arenā€™t dead. Iā€™m playing Animal Crossing New Horizons, a $60 game that Iā€™ve spent more than 150 hours in in less than a month.

For what a lot of people say, ā€œIā€™m only VIP Xā€ in GoW correlates to, I couldā€™ve bought a PS4, a couple of games, and in better times some pizza and beer to have friends over.

Welcome to capitalism. We reckon the people who deserve to eat are the people who figure out how to pay $5 for $20 worth of labor. F2P games thrive if they figure out how to make you pay $1,000 for a game you wouldnā€™t have paid $10 for.

1 Like

Iā€™ve been a ā€œwhaleā€ in other games but this is what caused me to stop spending money on GoW (and likely never will until my faith is restored in the company).

Legendary tasks were one of the few ways I could realistically collect mythic troops since anyone whoā€™s started playing in the last year knows that the mythic pool is way too large now to think you can correct them faster than new ones are released.

I didnā€™t happen to be available on certain Faction release weekends, so I guess now Iā€™m not supposed to be able to get it to 500 (and no grinding it all out on a Tuesday isnā€™t realistic).

Tons of bugs, new empowered converter troop is the same as Tai Pan, world event was hilariously bad, etc

VIP chests arenā€™t worth the cost.

3 Likes

Interesting timingā€¦ It seems that they are badly in need of cash.

Thatā€™s what you get by months after months of nerfs and then quadrupling the prices of Council of Chiefs World Event during pandemics trying to take advantage of peopleā€™s suffering.

Players are leaving, and new are not coming. They are losing the revenue but the thought of being more generous doesnā€™t come into their minds. They have been tightening the screw on players but it seems, that the same screw started to tighten them.

1 Like

Current World Event has greatly reduced gem cost to gain all rewards on par with other previous guild events :smile:

I am hoping Council of Chiefs was just a failed experiment/bugged.

Anyway, to stay on topic, I have no issue with ads (I play on console anyway lol,) players on mobile will at least get ā€˜somethingā€™ for a minor interruption in their play if they choose to watch them and it will help ā€˜keep the lights onā€™ for IP2.

1 Like

I was so ready to hate this, but instead great job. I have no complaints!

2 Likes

Hello everybody.
It is said on the 300 (PS4) that in a future Update the guilds will go from 30 players to 60 players! Is it true ?

Thatā€™s why i2 was formed in the first place. Too many people wanted to be in intrim and we had to expand the only way we could. Iā€™m interested to see how this will shake up the guilds, if it happens. Itā€™s a few years too late, but Iā€™ll totally :popcorn : the shakeup. I feel a bit bad for the guilds struggling to fill 30 if this happens. Guild wars of 58 vs 25 will be a sword slicing through butter.

Citation needed.

1 Like

If by 300, you mean global chat channel 300.

I would highly suggest not believing anything you read on any global channel.

To answer your question, I highly doubt the devs would ever do that.

4 Likes

If they ever doubled guild membership maximum theyā€™d probably triple task costs to compensate ā€¦

1 Like

My betā€™s on ā€œmost of the players who would be coming in are playing Animal Crossingā€.

1 Like

Interesting spam tactic. Inserting a link to your site into a quote, and making a semi-relevant reply to the topic.

5 Likes

guess this changed ā€¦ I just got a 3 second ad for NTB Tires

Why am I getting a survey with no time limit?
Is your company actually aware of the ads that are being shown?

I hit the ā€œXā€ button.
Didnā€™t receive an award despite waiting 3 minutes.
It then prompted an option to skip to a different ad.
I selected it. But then had to restart the game to make the ā€œwatch adā€ button actually work.