PVP Gold Exploit and Fix Clarification (Further Info Inside)

Right after reset while everyone is doing PvP there are some good matches thrown my way. I hope it lasts.

Of course I still get ones like this that are much lower still. Not even 1200 gold.

My guild is holding gold right now, so that’s helping until we start donating for the week.

1 Like

I mentioned this a few years ago when my gold from pvp was lower because my cards were fully maxed out and leveled mythic. I recall telling people not to max out their cards because they got less gold.

They recently artificially raised everyones power scores on defense by about +200 points to make it possible for us to get decent gold since the gold you get seems to be based partially on both power levels of both the attacker & defender, I guess that has been removed for some reason.

So an easy fix for this is if the dev’s just add +100 / +200 / +300 power to each persons defend team depending on the pvp tier T1/T2/T3. It’s a simple hot fix I hope. Then they can base gold off of power levels.

Since my guild didn’t complete tasks earlier there are people with higher scores than me. It’s glorious. I get as much gold as my guild mates for playing. The problem is they want me to donate my 7 million but I won’t until the last minute before GW. I asked them to stop completing tasks but it’s an unnatural thing and I’m the only one it affects.

I’m beginning to see my stat bonuses as a liability. I plan to hoard deeds from now on, or maybe I’ll stop at level 14. I’m getting matched with similar level people right now. I don’t know if it’s fixed or it’s temporary.

2 Likes

As soon as you get all the extra stats from completing guild tasks, you’ll start making less gold again since that +2000 team score margin will get even bigger.

2 Likes

Devs add all sort of stat bonuses then punish players for getting those stats.

What the hell was the point of the big change in PvP to make it more fair to everyone just to go back to old ignorant ways? There’s only so many times you can say you “accidentally” did something before you are just incompetent. If the people you have employed can’t balance a simple match making algorithm then employ ones who can.

5 Likes

Yep, it’s exactly as I feared. I just climbed to tier 1 (our guild has finished all 12 guild tasks) and not a single 3t battle was the usual 2k+ gold. Every single 3t battle was offering me 1200-1400 gold. Thanks for supporting your most dedicated players devs. :roll_eyes:

Before the update this 3t battle would have offered me approx 2200 gold. A reduction of about 40%. Thanks again devs.

Also, I only faced about 4 different opponents in my climb to tier 1. All I can say is thank god they FINALLY fixed the pvp points recently otherwise I would’ve had to spend twice as long in this ‘once loved now hated’ game mode.

11 Likes

I’ll be thinking of this moment from Empire Strikes Back each time they “fix” another mode. It can always be worse. Let’s pray they don’t alter it any further.

9 Likes

Actually they should be praying. The playerbase is ignorant of one important fact:

We don’t need them, but they need us.

3 Likes
1 Like

I’m also going to put on my tinfoil hat for this one (fair warning/disclaimer), and based on a personal assumption that the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree in terms of source inspiration for these changes…

Because what everyone is observing is likely a foundational implementation for the upcoming Arena changes (and possibly beyond).

If the changes currently in place are working as intended, that what people are experiencing is an implementation of the gaming concept known as “rubberbanding”. Without going too deep into the weeds on this, rubberbanding is a concept where in a game where there is rankings, that the leader is handicapped somehow to allow everyone else to catch up with them (and perhaps surpass the leader). Everyone’s at least familiar with Mario Kart, right? In the spirit of “competition”, on that final lap, everyone behind the leader gets all sorts of advantages (speed, power-ups, etc.) to assist them with catching the leader before that leader can win the race. Same concept. For now, GoW sees gold earnings in PvP as a way to allow the masses to catch up with the leaders in terms of Epic Task completion.

Yes @Ashasekayi 's same post is quoted twice, because both parts of it are highly relvevant.

Everyone here is generally on-target, but mostly looking at the situation from the “right now” time perspective. Everyone’s attention needs to pointed towards the future. Because as famously debated in the epic scene in Spaceballs where Lord Helmet debates Colonel Sanderz at the radar station about “when will then will be now?”, the answer is always “soon”.

Epic Tasks are very likely much more than just a tool to block people from completing LTs. I’d assert the following: Epic Tasks are a tool to seperate the endgamers from the rest of the game’s population in preparation for the Arena revamp (and likely beyond). How? I’ll requote this for third time, emphasis added.

As the game goes on, being at endgame/“meta”, means reaching larger and larger teamscores that fewer and fewer people reach as the progression walls continue to get higher and higher. As such, endgame players will reach a point where their teamscores are so high that they just won’t see anyone else in matchmaking except the handful of people that are on the same power level as themselves. As observed in multiple threads now, this is already happening to a few players. This situation will affect more and more players over time, likely very intentionally by design.

Someday soon, “then” will be “now”, and endgamers will be quitely playing in their own sandbox only against other endgamers, in most if not all future ranking competitions. This is the “spirit of the how the game is meant to be played” claim that the devs are stumbling over, as they are likely awkwardly fumbling with these statements to avoid tipping their hand over upcoming changes to the game.

9 Likes

I would point out that the PVP situation created a vicious cycle. I stopped playing PVP because I didn’t like facing the same aggro teams over and over again, which means my non-meta defense team was pulled from the pool for everyone else. Presuming I am not alone in this, the pool of endgamers has been persistently depleted as people get fed up and stop engaging in the game mode—which means those that are left see even more of the same opponents.

15 Likes

And yet this approach seems to be inherently flawed, as has been pointed out over and over again. It does not make sense to match players based on a mostly static account score, because this is essentially a progression tax. It punishes players for getting stonger, the further they advance, the less rewards per time invested they are able to gain. The PvP fix a few months ago finally promised to address this, just to be voided again with 4.7.

Games designed well seem to match players by play strength, the equivalent to which would here be the PvP score that changes with each fight. You win fights, you get pitted against other players who have also won fights. You win less fights, you get pitted against players who have also won less fights. The matchmaker here is really a blind, retarded, utterly incompetent amnesiac who likes to relentlessly throw the same half a dozen opponents at you, no matter how far out of your league they might be. And if that feedback the community has been preaching for years keeps getting met with indifference (or, worse, incomprehension) the Arena rework is bound to be a lost cause.

12 Likes

Exactly what I was thinking. Endgamers will face an increasingly steep wall on their earnings, and as those under them start to catch up, the same will happen to those people. Ultimately all forms of “endgamer”, not just “1% of the 1% endgamer” will see nerfed gold income as they reach the “wall” determined by the devs/publisher.

This is absolutely happening.

I have not played PVP at all outside of Guild Wars since the Explore change. I only played PVP for Gold. I never cared about rankings and I can get enough Glory from Tributes to meet my needs so I never needed PVP for that.

Snip is for emphasis by me. It’s not flawed if it’s intentional.

The fix to the old Explores to allow you to start a new match efficiently without exiting to the world map in between was also voided in 4.6 with the Explore rework, and the devs have stated that “the extra clicks won’t be removed”, which indicates it’s intentional.

If they essentially revoked one QOL change to slow down progression, why is it hard to believe they’d hit another part of the game with the same thing?

Which is going to become even more common as more players abandon the clusterfart that is PVP.

The Arena rework will probably include, among other things, a nerf to useful resources (i.e. it has already been removed as a way to earn Seals - maybe Gold or Glory is next?) and some kind of intentional gating/slowdown so players can’t spam it. Maybe even an energy system sigils, along with a shop and a leaderboard?

4 Likes

They “claim” they fixed this in a patch. Clearly not.

Am I the only one who hasn’t looked at my battle rewards(minus gnome drops and GW score) in over a year?

Yes? 10 characters :laughing:

I guess maybe if I took the time to look every time, I’d have less resources

I just have trouble with this conspiracy theory because I don’t get the premise. I mean, I get the “this system is flawed” premise, but you use that to reach the conclusion, “The system is intended to rubberband so newbies can catch up with endgamers.”

How???

Endgamer power consists of four things to varying degrees, we could spend a whole thread bickering about the ratios:

• Experience (not XP, the kind of intuition you build from play)
  • Access to troops
  • A resource hoard
  • Long-term cumulative resources that result in stat boosts

I normally write an essay but the pattern of my paragraphs would lead to the same conclusion for each point (skipping the first): in order for ETs as they sit to represent “catching up”, we’d have to see an income disparity significantly bigger than what I see. I’m talking “newbie guilds can hit 45 LTs routinely” kind of hyperbolic.

It’s also possible we’re in “sky is falling” mode because it’s “true” and we run the risk of being unhappy about it for a different reason. The short story there is people tend to get angry if newcomers to a thing have to “work less” to get the same thing. The thing is we’re seeing the goalposts get moved in GoW: “endgame” is getting further away from the starting line. So it follows that if the game is now longer, it may not be a bad idea to compress the early phases and let newbies reach the depressing endgame faster.

I don’t know. I’m still thinking about it. Everything is so weird right now. I wish 5.0 had been Gems of War 2 instead of this weird slow drip of changes.

1 Like

I really feel that gems is disintegrating. Progress should be commended, not impeded by machiavellian nerfs. Today I disenchanted a few troops and immediately realised how disenchanted I am by the game in general. I sense I far from alone in this respect. I don’t know how any arena rework could possibly inspire me to play again. I am struggling to find a reason not to uninstall the game to be honest. I’ve invested a lot of time (no real money) but feel like I am being led into a culdesac where progression ends. Hard to feel enthusiastic about that.

8 Likes

Well, that mostly answers your own question.

If correctly implemented currently, rubberbanding is a foundation for what could be coming for the arena revamp (whenever that is) and 5.0.

If we look at what has been said previously about what an arena revamp would look like, Sirrian wanted players to compete for “meaningful” prizes. It’s a fairly safe assumption to say that the Arena revamp will be monetized in some way (it was indirectly mentioned on that stream). Rubberbanding would be used there as a way to make leaderboards more competitive and prevent someone from running away with top prizes.

Speculation on 5.0 is just way out there at the moment.

We know there’s a third map. It’s very highly likely that there’s some new mechanic for the whatever-kingdom-like-things-will-be-called-on-the-third-map regarding how troops there will be obtained. Delve released won’t be finished for another year and half. Whatever mechanic that will be will likely replace the weekend new class event. Still, the update is ~6 months away. It’s fair enough to say that whatever the new troop mechanic is, that it will be like delves in that the intended completion timeframe will be 2 years or longer.

Most of the vets here would agree. But, from a business perspective, there’s nothing to gain from the publisher’s perspective from fragmenting the playerbase over two games. Plus, there’s a generally long history at this point of most sequels of GaaS underperforming (cannibalization issues) or outright failing. At least, for better or worse, the changes are almost over.

3 Likes