PvP Diversity Issues

At first, looking through the first image (Ranked PvP) there seemed to be pretty good diversity both within and between selections.

Looking through the second image, I started to see a fair few repeats (of the same opponent, mere selections apart). Diversity of teams within the same selection still seemed pretty good, though (i.e. you never faced 3x Dragon Eye defences).

One part of a request could be for greater sensitivity to Hero Weapons, such that you only ever face Dragon’s Eye teams every second selection or greater :stuck_out_tongue:.

I’d want more stats, and from multiple people - although perhaps being able to get sufficient intra-selection diversity in this small sample means that half of the issue isn’t always present.

2 Likes

Well said, Jonathan.

I didn’t really know how to analyse the results.

One point is that perception is often just as important as fact. Humans are good at spotting patterns, which is why we notice when the same players keep coming around.

2 Likes

Just for interest/relevance from another thread:

Barbelith, the OP, who was fought several times in quick succession, had been playing “all morning, 6 hours now”.

1 Like

@Cyrup, is this working as intended?
Out of 12 troops, my only options are to face 6 unique troops.

3 Likes

Would more eyes help?

I’ve noticed explore has the same same teams, usually Yasmine Chosen/Aurora/(kingdom Legend+ troop) most likely for high HP. Not a problem, but if matching is same code or concept, I can certainly see it happen.

I have also seen less variety in pvp teams. It was annoying, but I just used a gem to repick. If you could hash function team troops are what and compare to each other, even if they aren’t same trait level, it might fix diversity picks. I would also add a pool of players in tier one higher than recent activity, solves depleted pools. They EXPECT to get revenge battles.

Thanks, Xsfx.

As far as I know, Explore is meant to be this way. I’ve read posts both recently and a while ago along the lines of: Explore opponents are meant to be three troops from the kingdom plus one random troop that’s very likely to be a recent release.

I like the idea of addressing a depleted pool of current players. To extend it, that could be one way of addressing the fact that I won’t get many Revenge battles if I only play one or two PvP battles per session (because I’ll have stopped before I’ve gone into the pool, been battled, then the battler has come into the pool for me to fight).

Nice chart.

1 Like

Why not just put a standard point system on all 3 tiers… Tier3 can be the tier with all the annoying respawn, transform, exta troop summons, but put a point value on it that with ever extra troop we earn the average points per troop killed that started… start at 60 points & go up… that woulb be an extra 15 point to the players for having to kill the extra troop & also do the same thing with the gold…

@awryan that’s bad luck! D:

I can see what’s happened, those 3 teams are considered unique because:

Team 3 is different. Doesn’t have all the same troops or troop order etc
Team 1 & 2 have different Hero Classes and Banners equipped.

1 Like

I’m on the XBox and have to make some space for screen shots (sorry for late response). Today I ran into the same team within 4 matches. Dragon slayer hero, claw dancer, satyr musician and scale guard. I also notice the same players swapping sides (left to right) at times. It would be nice to have more of a variety to fight. I don’t mind firebombs since it adds to the pool.

This morning I accidentally pushed the button to refresh my choices…

…and I got the same 3T opponent. That shouldn’t happen.

2 Likes

Mm, I’ve still been seeing repeats of the same player(s) several matches apart.

1 Like

I just ran into this on an alt:

If the code is so sensitive that it identifies the ascension level of the troops, a different level of an upgrade on the same weapon, or a different banner as “different teams”, even when they have the exact same troops in the same order down to the hero class, perhaps it needs to be tweaked a bit?

3 Likes

The PVP opponent pool appears to be working as intended so I’m going to move this thread to the feedback section so you can continue discussing how you’d like the game to identify a team is different compared to the current method.

Are you sure?

Most of the posters above seem to think there are problems with the PvP pool. Saying it “appears to be working as intended” is a real surprise to me!

I can accept if your algorithm thinks similar teams are completely distinct. But I cannot accept that opponents reappearing so quickly is anything but a bug.

Let me repeat my biggest issue here: When I pay to see new opponents (or fight them), the same opponents keep reappearing unacceptably often!

If I had to guess (and this is only a guess), this is happening because I’m in Australia and playing my PvP at a time when there are very few players in the game. I’m sure there are other times of the day/week that will affect players in other timezones in exactly the same way.

I cannot understand why you would not accept that this is a serious problem with the PvP selection algorithm. :frowning_face:

You’re kidding right? fighting the same teams over and over again with different banners or hero classes is intended? fighting the same person 4 or 5 times within 10 fights is intended?

Did you really intend for me to fight the same people over and over again? Last week I fought that wsqjackop person probably 50+ times out of 200 fights.

60879a2da95af41a0240b4849e953cc1a05767a4_2_690x419

For starters, if the point of the diversity code is to actually serve up diversity, it would help if any team that has three of the same troops is considered the same team. At that point, they are clearly going for the same strategy. Also, hero class and banner should not be able to be used as points of difference for a team to be repeated. Having a sub-optimal class or banner can make a comp easier to beat, but its still generally the “same” setup.

Also this. This a bunch of times. I remember one time where I went into casual PvP and refreshed into the same 4 three-trophy opponents about a dozen times in a row. Of course, I believe this is part of a larger issue with the matchmaking system in general.

5 Likes

@Mithran - I like your idea that “3 matching troops” would be considered a matching team. Your logic for this makes perfect sense.

@Maxx - That’s pretty much what I was trying to say – just more diplomatically. :smiley:

1 Like

Come one, come all, as I prepare to show you a magic trrrrick wherein I will select the same opponent (an alarming) 13(??) times in a row by pressing the (Casual) ‘Refresh’ button not once, not thrice - NAY! - but a mere two times!!! A big shout out to @Bernice - you’re a super star :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:.

I was playing on my mobile when I started to notice @bigdog64 popping up a lot - and I thought, “Hey, they must be playing lots of PvP right now! Good on them, and what a great defence.” Then I realised it was predictably after two refreshes, without fail. I was about to switch to my PC so I could record it, when Bernice started showing up instead. Thankfully, she stayed around long enough for me mto get a good capture, with some special cameo/guest appearances by bigdog64 towards the end for good measure.

Obviously, in this case, it worked out in my favour (so maybe it’ll become priority #1 :scream:), so I’m not really complaining. I just thought it was too good not to post.

At ~15:21 you may see me refresh Casual PvP for ~3 mins straight for your viewing pleasure!

Happy Gemming!

3 Likes

Thank you @Jonathan. This was fun to watch.

2 Likes