Pet and 3.4 Stream Summary (From Salty's Twitch Stream)

Thats not a problem for me. Better have greater chance to get one during a whole day, than 24 with lesser chance to get none.

OR If 24 hours is too long… let’s make one pet be available for 6 hours maybe? Thats a lot of time too. So then guild could trigger 4 pets to appear during the day.

Since everything is still theoretical at the moment, I choose to assume that everything will be balanced such that a full guild with people doing a reasonable amount of playing will be opening 1-hr windows frequently enough for everyone to get a bite sometimes. Hopefully time zones will wash out, and “30 people == 30 chances (and only 1 has to hit)” will cover everything naturally.

2 Likes

The event will be triggered by killing a Pet Gnome in PVP… So it will be super rare.
How many Gnomes did you find in one day?

1 Like

In 267 battles since weekly reset i’ve seen maybe 8-10. Judging by the trophy count in our roster i imagine we’d find a decent amount. I think once they go live a lot of people will be focusing on pvp more so between 30 people there’ll be an even greater chance.

For non-mobile users that’s essentially the same as a 24 hour cooldown while still missing out on most pet events. I really prefer the approach @Grundulum proposed, your countdown starts once you log in, you won’t trigger or receive additional pet events until your personal lockdown hour has expired. It just doesn’t look like something that can be implemented Soon.

Starting the 1hr timer when you login probably means that you’ll always have one waiting to start when you login…which means they’ll probably have to harshly reduce the rewards-per-fight to account for the drastically increased frequency.

Think back to the distant past of, like, a few weeks ago, when people begged to get gnome spawns increased with reduced drop rates, then raged when gnome spawns were increased with reduced drop rates.

Let’s let this actually exist and give it a try first before we collectively shoot ourselves in our feet, please.

7 Likes

@Ashasekayi Outstanding summary.

One more thing to the list.
Everyone seems to have missed an important step back toward the fully functional previous Unity Troop filter on console they supremely striped down and made bare bones (for Mobile?).

Looks like they added back one of the removed Fields “Spell Effect”! At 28:05

5 Likes

I’m glad that you guys liked the summary.

Also, I didn’t notice that new filter. Great catch, Strat!

8 Likes

You’d only have one available if someone in your guild is active enough to spawn one every hour of the day. Most people don’t play multiple hours of PVP a day, and guilds will tend to cluster geographically so that people are active at roughly the same time. The system as currently implemented penalizes players for not having the same schedule for their active times. A per-person timer would likely be generating at most one extra event per person per day: that first login after waking up (or getting home from school, or getting off work, …). After that they will be in their normal active period and thus able to respond to any events that arise.

And that one per day figure assumes the event rate is high enough that it can be triggered multiple times per day by an active guild. It’d be a real pisser if your guild only averaged two events a week, and you missed both because of classes, meetings, or basic biological requirements like sleep.

Edit: you’re right, of course, that the event rate needs to be reduced if pet gnomes will wait for a person’s first login. But I see this as similar to the Dungeon at release. Players would rather be guaranteed 5 diamonds per battle than have a 25% chance of 20 diamonds. Similarly, I—and apparently many others—would rather have a low-probability event wait till I can do it, instead of a higher probability event that I, for personal reasons, am likely to miss most of the time (I am not active at the same time as most of my guild).

5 Likes

Thanks for the summary!

Although I second the people not really liking the time-zone-guild idea very much, it may not be really all that important since next to the pet-gnome triggered guild rescue events there will be a pet-event day every week. Hopefully that’ll also be a good way to get pets, and we can all still have our international guilds. I am happy to be in one and I intend to keep it that way. :smiley:

10 Likes

Personally, I’m not happy about the 1-hour timer at all. I’m hoping that it doesn’t harm international guilds too much. I love my current guild, and we have players from all over the world. I surely wouldn’t trade any of them for pets.

Hopefully, the pet event day has a good drop rate so that international guilds remain viable.

14 Likes

Yeah, it looks like the Developers have decided to purposely penalize/breakup/destroy all International Guilds (at the top levels). They are even considering adding a time zone search in the future to Guild Find, something that hasn’t been touched in 3 years.

I’ve usually been in a 50-75% US Guild and enjoy interacting with overseas players, it a real shame, but I can see what’s coming.

:two thumbs down: On the 1 hour window implementation.

7 Likes

This is just nutty. Even if we’re online and playing GOW, will there be some kind of extremely obvious pop-up that will tell us that a pet event has started? If I’m just grinding explore while watching Netflix and don’t happen to check the main map every 5 minutes, will I even know that this is happening? How about the guys that spend 3-6 hours on a single treasure map? They’ll be thinking “Do i abort my potential record-setting map to go rescue my pet?” (if they are even made aware somehow that they have a choice to make).

I think those of us in guilds with a few active PVPers across a few timezones will probably be fine. It might be preferable to have a wide distribution so that whenever you log in, there is a good chance that someone is online PVPing and might trigger a pet rescue while you’re playing. It is the casual guilds that don’t have a large number of serious PVP grinders that are going to get disproportionately screwed here.

2 Likes

The hopeful and positive side of me hopes that this is the case. The problem (like always) is that we don’t have enough information right now. We have no clue if pet gnomes are as rare as regular gnomes or if they appear more/less frequently.

2 Likes

Spontaneous idea, maybe the pet event could get tied in some way to the tribute trigger. Whenever there’s a pet event pending, whether you are online or not, your timer starts as part of collecting your tribute. And you aren’t eligible for another pet event until collecting your next tribute, which conveniently happens to be at least one hour later.

1 Like

The rest of the guild should be happy thier guild mate got a rare pet. Not upset they didnt.

2 Likes
  1. I want even considering TH hi scoring player, or explore. I was thinking AWAY from the console with Work, Sleep, Real Life stuff. All those Pets will be lost (the majority of the day). In a top level guild this isn’t going to fly very long.

2. Sadly All this 1 hr discussion is moot. The build is submitted.

3. Reminder to the devs they need Beta testers. To identity obvious issues before shipping updates.

EDIT: This is just a big FU to console players. For goodness sake I hope they attach the cables and turn on the consoles at the office.

2 Likes

070b0e03e265913d02e20df2fe70ec9fb7101655_1_690x388

Just a little confused about the Rescue Mission time limit.
How come in the screenshot it suggests 5 hours?

2 Likes

I think there is guild rescue (1h) and solo rescue event (5h)

2 Likes

Sure, but missed opportunities while away from console I can understand. If I go on a two-week vacation, it is reasonable to me that I miss out on my daily bonuses, GW rewards, guild tasks and whatever else I can’t claim before it expires. Missed opportunities that occur while I am at work, sleeping, spending time with my family or otherwise acting like a human being I could probably learn to reconcile. But that I could be actively playing the game and miss out on opportunities for potentially rare rewards is … unthinkable(?). I struggle to find the words.

2 Likes