I was lucky enough to go to PAX and have a chat with Sirrian and get shown an early build of 1.0.8. I also met Nimhain briefly and saw a few other crew members promoting hard. As much as I love GoW there were lots of other things to see too!
The GoW stall in the expo hall was a castle which was definitely in the top few stalls at PAX for looks. It made directing folk to the GoW stand easy too - “Just look for a big castle!”
It was a big day of seeing lots of cool gaming stuff, so here’s what I can remember about GoW. 1.0.8 is a game-changing update even more than 1.0.7 and Crafting is the name of the game!
- All troops have 3 unlockable passive abilities
- Abilities are unlocked via crafting
- Crafting materials are generated by playing or opening chests
- There will be lots of different types of chest, with different levels of keys
- The lowest level is keys bought with gold, then keys bought with glory, then a few more types of chest
- On update to 1.0.8, Iron keys will convert to “glory keys” or whatever the 2nd level of keys is called because this level is the closest in value
- Chests now contain one troop each (not 3) and some crafting materials
- Obviously the higher level chests have better chances of rarer troops
- Troops not only level up, but also gain rarity - you can use extra copies to boost a troop from Common to Rare to Ultra-Rare etc. with corresponding stat boosts. I want a Legendary Dire Wolf.
- Don’t worry, disenchanting for souls is still an option
- Lots of little interface changes - e.g. troops can be levelled to maximum in one click (or maximum you can afford in souls)
- From what I saw, it was all good changes, but then I like the 1.0.7 speed change so who knows what other players will complain about
This is based on my vague recollections of an early build so presumably it’s all subject to change. I have no idea when 1.0.8 will be released but my guess is NOT SOON. As I said to Sirrian as he showed me this stuff, I’m glad I’m not the one who’ll be trying to balance all the cool new abilities and stat boosts.
Given souls are not as valuable in 1.0.7, what I saw suggests that holding on to troops rather than disenchanting them is a good idea. Also, glory will be more useful, but also easier to generate, so I’m undecided whether to save up glory or not.
Please give this post a like if you appreciate me sharing the local gossip.