New 4.7 achievement is bad-design

Like I said: the purpose was to get advertising and attract new players.

The game’s undergoing a big change and old players aren’t going to like it. Old players tend to have something they liked about the old game. New players don’t.

New players won’t stick around. The grind is off the scale for them. Why do 6 hours of mundane repetition when you can go crazy and have fun with gears?

If old players are sticking around, I’m pretty confident there’s a batch of new players that will. They only have to stick around long enough for the next couple of patches to taunt some other influencer into advertising.

Post this on the Steam forum, and you would likely be banned and have your CM privileges revoked for violating Steam TOS. You can’t call out a player by his/her real name, it simply isn’t done. If your TOS doesn’t allow it, then for goodness sake set a good example for your players. And at some point, 505 will notice this.

A better solution would be to have more than one achievement in this category. Start with an achievement for 10 such troops, and when a handful of people have that, add one for 25 or 50, and then a little later on, one for 100. The way you’re doing it now, it conveys the impression the team cares too much about the grind and not enough about the fun of it.

I’m merely shedding light on the situation, and won’t be commenting on the achievement further.

When an achievement turns into a “situation” does that give pause to anyone in the office about the direction and implementation of decisions made to have your players enjoy the game more?

50 medals wasn’t sufficient?
Nah bro, 1/7 of a players troop collection for 900 tokens at least of various rarities required for the achievement.

I don’t even know who that guy is but I automatically don’t like him for inspiring an “achievement” that a large percentage of the player base won’t ever achieve.
You don’t have to care about achievements. But since your livelihood is dependent on player satisfaction. Perhaps make the achievements more realistically attainable for the players who do care about them.
Achievement hunting is a thing.

11 Likes

You will get a lot more achievements if you avoid this achievement and chase easier achievement in another game. JS

1 Like

Thank you for explaining the team’s reasoning, even if I think it’s misguided. For the record, I do enjoy challenging achievements, and hope they continue to be added. I’m optimistic that the team will be more attentive to challenge vs grind in the future.

Exalted wasn’t well received either until potions came along

True, but you could get it with Lady Morana, so it wasn’t hopeless on launch.

The problem is that a long term goal should feel rewarding. Why not having an achievement for ZG or for DawnBringer : things that actually make a difference when you achieve them. Otherwise, you could just make an achievement for reaching level 2500 and call it a long-time goal all the same…

It’s pretty easy to guess that the number of players actively playing Explore after the rework wasn’t really high. But “forcing” them through an achievement is a ridiculous idea though it will probably work with some of the most hardcore players. There were other ways to increase the number of people playing Explore, starting with a lot of QoL requested on this same forum.

A bad design is a bad design. If you didn’t intended it as such, I’d wish that you’d bring it back on your design board and change it to something that actually make sense. But as it stands, I still feel that it’s a slight towards achievement hunters from people that couldn’t care less about that part of a game.

7 Likes

well if I can compliment IP2 on something, at least their achievements work properly. played a few too many games that don’t have working achievements. so thanks

I’m pretty sure there’s had to be an achievement fix the past couple of updates too so uh sorry, they can’t even get that part right.

1 Like

No, they’ve unlocked just fine on Xbox One. I know you just want to dump on everything they do, but at least get your facts right.

Last issue I know of was Exalted on PS4, but that was way back in update 4.0.

nope, “Complete all of your Guild Wars battles in a single week.” was unobtainable on X1 on release.

It’s a bad achievement…full stop. Grinding Dawnbringer was bad (no achievement), grinding zuul took over a year of regular LB rewards (no achievement). This is worse because folk will medal up common troops that are rarely used to tick off the achievement. Db and zuul are useful but crap troops will always be crap, medalled or not.

3 Likes

Need to change the requirement from 100 to 10-25 (or 1).

3 Likes

that was years ago. They’ve put out 14 title updates since that point without major issues.

So whats the most effective way to use the medals for the trophy?
Upgrade rare (green) troops with 1 green medal for bronze lvl, then use 1-1 ultra-rare (blue) medals for silver and gold lvl? Or the cedric medal drop rate already nerfed?

Really?
People still are complaining about something that has nothing to do with the game itself

Any complaints are nothing more than a personal issue of some kind of completion anxiety
Deep breaths people :weary::hot_face::weary::hot_face: