My take on a complete Treasure Hunt revamp

Problem 1: Treasure Hunts haven’t changed with the game. Gems of War has introduced several different Vault troops and Treasure troops and none of it is reflected in Treasure Hunts.
Problem 2: Treasure Maps as a resource are accumulated faster than they can be realistically used by the majority of players, resulting in collections of thousands and thousands of Treasure Maps.
Problem 3: The only incentive to use Treasure Maps was removed with the change from Daily Tasks to Adventure Tasks and the removal of Weekly Rewards (which occasionally had a Treasure Map component)

A Little Analysis
The board is the standard 64 gem board, which means your rewards are tallied from the combination of Bronze/Silver/Gold Coins, Pouches, Brown/Green/Red Chests, and Vaults. There has to be a combination of these, so for instance, you couldn’t possibly end with all Green chests, because they combine to become Red chests.

Each chest has a set of rewards that it randomly gives you when you end the game. Green chests for instance can give you 1 Diamond, while a Red chest can give you 2 Diamonds. To get a Red chest for 2 diamonds, you give up anywhere from 3 to 5 green chests (which means you are giving up potentially 3 to 5 Gems, but also possibly 0). Because it’s easier to get green chests then red chests, a common strategy for getting the most gems per hour is to focus exclusively on creating green chests and ending the match as soon as possible making as many green chests as you can. Why? Because you have a much better chance to get at least 1 gem from 3 green chests than you do from getting at least 2 gems from a red chest. Green chests drop Gold/Souls/Glory/Gems and red chests drop Souls/Glory/Gems/Glory Keys.

Similarly, if you are playing Treasure Hunt because you want Gems (which is the only reason to play Treasure Hunt), you should never focus on Vaults. A Vault can drop Glory, Gems, Glory Keys, and Gem Keys. But it only drops 5 Gems. To get a Vault, you need a minimum of 3 Red Chests. That’s 9 Green Chests. On average, you will get more gems from 9 green chests than you will from 1 Vault. Even if the odds were slightly better for the Vault, the time requirement to get 1 Vault vs 9 green chests is always going to be in favor of the green chests. In that regard, there is very little incentive to ever try to get Vault rewards.

Solutions for the Horde of Treasure Maps people have

One of the common complaints about Treasure Hunts isn’t about the Hunt itself, but rather the maps. One solution could be to introduce a “Super Treasure Hunt” of sorts that requires more maps to start. You’d maybe start out with Silver Coins instead of Bronze. However, I don’t think this is a wise solution. Another idea could be the ability to transform maps into other resources. Again, I don’t think this is a good idea. Both of these ideas give new players a bad feeling where they don’t know if they should use 1 at a time or save up for whatever the cost is of the “new idea.” Additionally, even if I have 5000 maps, eventually I would run out of maps and I would become just like the new player where I would be in the position where I’m always trying to accumulate enough to do the “new thing.” Well, if that’s the case, then just get rid of the original treasure hunt and start with the new one.

Proposal: I think a very straight forward solution would be instead to allow treasure maps to be used exponentially. During a Treasure Hunt, let me use one of my Treasure Maps for an extra turn. Then the next extra turn costs 2 maps, then 6 maps, then 24 maps for a 4th extra turn, 120 maps for a 5th, 720 for a 6th turn, and a crazy 5040 maps for a 7th (the formula being that each extra turn costs that many extra turns more than the last one, so the third extra turn costs 3 times more than the second, and the fourth extra turn costs 4 times more than the 3rd, etc.)

Why does this work? Well, it allows players to use their extra maps in a way that doesn’t force them to collect them. In other words, if I have 4000 treasure maps, I’m not going to run out and think “Great, now I can’t play Treasure Hunt because I don’t have 4000 maps anymore.” Instead, I would just have a couple extra turns for a little bit.

Solutions for Updating Treasure Hunt to reflect the game now

• Add Hero XP and tie it to the same 15 turns as Traitstones with a chance to gain Bonus Hero XP at different intervals (for instance, 25 XP per 15 turns, and a bonus 25 at 50 turns, 50 bonus XP at 100 turns, 100 bonus XP at 150 turns, etc.)
  • Add Player Gold/Souls/XP Bonuses to Treasure Hunt final Rewards calculations. Currently whatever Gold and Souls you get from the coins/chests is exactly what you get, your bonuses (which are active in every other game mode) don’t work here.
  • Widen the Rewards to include things that will incentive players to do Treasure Hunts, just like people are eager to do Vault Keys. Here are the current possible rewards:

Bronze coin: 1 Gold
Silver coin: 3 gold
Gold coin: 10 gold
Pouch: 30 Gold, 3 Souls
Brown chest: 80 Gold, 8 Souls, 2 Glory
Green chest: 200 Gold, 20 Souls, 6 Glory, 1 Gem
Red chest: 50 Souls, 15 Glory, 2 Gems, 2 Glory Keys
Vault: 40 Glory, 5 Gems, 6 Glory Keys, 2 Gem Keys

New Rewards:

Green chest: 200 Gold, 20 Souls, 6 Glory, 1 Gem, 1 Diamond
Red chest: 50 Souls, 15 Glory, 2 Gems, 2 Glory Keys, 2 Diamonds, 1 Event Key
Vault: 40 Glory, 5 Gems, 6 Glory Keys, 2 Gem Keys, 2 Event Keys, 5 Diamonds
2nd Vault: 60 Glory, 8 Gems, 9 Glory Keys, 3 Gem Keys, 3 Event Keys, 8 Diamonds, 1 Sacred Treasure
3rd Vault: 80 Glory, 10 Gems, 12 Glory Keys, 4 Gem Keys, 4 Event Keys, 10 Diamonds, 2 Sacred Treasure, 1 VIP Key, 1 Minor Orb
4th Vault: 120 Glory, 15 Gems, 18 Glory Keys, 6 Gem Keys, 6 Event Keys, 15 Diamonds, 3 Sacred Treasure, 2 VIP Key, 1 Major Orb

4 Likes

Yes please :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes: – Hero(/in)es can study as well as fight to get better, from time to time, I think.

I think the Diamond rewards would need rebalancing, maybe just shifted up a chest level or two – but I guess that’s something for 505 to worry about…

From what I understand, Diamonds aren’t intended to be able to be farmed excessively, if at all – currently the only way is through Gnomes, I think (Treasure Gnome, Jewel Gnome, Vault Keys).

That being said, if someone spent an hour or two trying to get as many vaults as possible in one go, I don’t think a Diamond or two would go amiss.

1 Like

I’m not going to crunch the numbers on what the rewards for each chest should be, but I like the ideas of bonus percentages, hero xp and using exponential maps for extra turns :slight_smile:

Could even add levels to Treasure Hunt
1 map stays the same
5 maps Common rewards
10 maps Epic rewards
25 maps Legendary rewards
50 maps Mythic rewards

4 Likes

So, if I am not misreading this post, your suggestion would implement a sort of map sink/expenditure method for increasing Treasure Hunt rewards, yes?

This has been suggested by others, and this is flawed, imho.

To improve TH, there needs to be more incentive to further progress in an individual map, whether it be by way of total moves, vaults created, etc.

Simply rewarding a player for having accumulated a ton of maps is not actually improving the Treasure Hunt mini game itself. It just becomes an uninventive map sink.

But, I get it. Players don’t actually want to play TH.

Knowing the devs (and looking at how things are trending), they’re probably going to require an outlay of gems to increase TH payouts in tiers and such… ugh.

2 Likes

I agree with the vast majority of your analysis about this topic. I had some ideas for a similar type of post in my head for a long time, but never mustered the mental energy and time to put something together. I’m glad you did so now I can stop thinking about it.

I think you did not include one problem that I would have though, which is that the rewards gained aren’t in line with the amount of time it takes to get them in treasure hunt.

I agree that playing for gems is the main reason most people do treasure hunt, or just because they enjoy the puzzle mode (I do), but it really isn’t a great use of time for gaining resources. We’ve all seen people talk about how you can actually farm gems much faster by playing explore and then using the gold earned in that same time to open gold chests and get gems. I don’t think that’s as fun or interesting, but we probably can’t argue with it being more effective in terms of rewards per time spent. So I do think that ratio does need a slight boost in TH, but within reason of course.

That’s why I would rather see them both increase the number of gems (and gold/glory) that come from each chest type, but also narrow the possible rewards that come from each chest type to focus more on gems. I do like the idea of diamonds being a possible reward too, but I think that could be exclusive to vaults to make them more worthwhile to go for. I also think keys of any type could be exclusive to the vaults to make them more differentiated.

I think souls can mostly be eliminated and glory could be limited to the chests (and increased), because who really wants to get the 40 glory middle finger from a vault?

I think that would look something like this with the interesting stuff only coming from vaults and some modest increases to the amounts:

Bronze coin: 1 Gold
Silver coin: 5 gold
Gold coin: 10 gold
Pouch: 40 Gold, 5 Souls
Brown chest: 100 Gold, 5 Glory, 1 Gem
Green chest: 200 Gold, 10 Glory, 2 Gems
Red chest: 400 Gold, 25 Glory, 5 Gems
Vault: 10 Gems, 10 Colored Jewels, 5 Diamonds, 10 Glory Keys, 2 Gem Keys, 1 Event Key

Then maybe they could have a treasure troop awarded at the end, with increased chance of higher rarity treasures based on the number of turns you completed? Like a 0% chance of Sacred Treasure under 60 turns, increasing by 10% each 10 from 60 through 100, and then 5% each 10 turns from 110 to 200, so if you hit 200 turns you were guaranteed to get one. I think that would make it interesting. I do strongly agree that there needs to be a way to get treasure troops in treasure hunt though.

Of course, if they were willing to entertain your idea for different and increasing awards for each successive vault (including the treasures), that would be really cool too. But I kind of doubt they would take it that far. I would just hope they leave the glory out of vaults either way though, because it’s just not a good value compared to the other rewards from a vault.

Thanks for the great write-up and analysis, hopefully they pay attention to it. I gave my opinions where I think it could have been slightly different not to criticize, just to get them off my mind and stated in a consolidated place (rather than a competing TH thread). I really hope they implement some of these ideas about the rewards and don’t mess with the core mechanics about how the mode play works.

1 Like

There’s actually a contingent of players that prefer Treasure Hunt. I don’t know if they are still around, but they used to post here years ago.

I actually do want to cycle in TH’s into my regular play (I do it when it shows up in Campaign) - my problem with it is that everything else in the game has advanced past it. If they include writs or random deeds as rewards, then I will definitely play it.

The current bottleneck is Books of Deeds, so anything to solve that is welcome.

Personaly i would like the option to change 10 maps to 1 gem
You would still get more in ressources if you play as intended, but those of us with hundreds to tousands of maps can finaly loose some of them

1 gem - no stones, no gold, no glory, etc…
Really wouldn’t breack the game

I personally use Treasure Hunt as a way to cool down at the end of a play session (typically followed by spending all keys + checking for upgrades).

I agree Treasure Hunt needs some core improvements – here are my top 3 “wishlist” ideas for it, all to the tune of improving rewards (per player time spent) and adding a sink for excess Treasure Maps:

• Event Sigil type payout multiplier. E.g. 1 map = normal run, 3 maps = 2x rewards, 5 maps = 3x rewards
  • When running out of moves, spend Treasure Maps to reset the timer and continue the same run.
  • Spells (unique to Treasure Hunt) that can be cast during gameplay. (e.g. “collect all Copper, Silver, or Gold coins on the board”) Instead of requiring a full Mana meter, they cost a Treasure Map per cast.
4 Likes

That would awesome to implement… good idea

I really like treasure hunt but I do wish the rewards felt more worthwhile relative to the time invested. I think the suggestions you (Stratelier) made were really good ones.

I love (read: “think it’s sad/tragic”) how all of this more recent feedback will be way too late to make it into any kind of upcoming Treasure Hunt revamp :slightly_frowning_face:.

Let’s hope enough was read and compiled over the years before they started :confused: (and not just the most common, “let us use 10 maps for 10x rewards pls”).

Yes, am somewhat familiar (was around when “4x Animation Speedwasn’t available, so talk about rewards not being worth time invested… :crazy_face:)… am one (of the very few) that (still) plays TH exclusively.

Initially, wanted to play a match-puzzle game for retinal exercise. Poor eye health rendered playing the standard portion of the game rather difficult, as distinguishing between brown :gem_brown:/purple :gem_purple: and blue :gem_blue:/green :gem_green: was nearly impossible for me. Discovered TH, and forgot the rest of the game… :slightly_smiling_face:.

I play every day routinely, and am one of the very few to have more base rarity mythics than I do hero levels… utilizing only TH. :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

This fact still blows my mind every time I see it. My hat is off to you.

1 Like

Great ideas by Stratelier, only thing to add would be updated rewards. So much has been added to the game since this post; it would be wonderful to make treasure hunt more relevant. Most classify it as a waste of time because the rewards are not even remotely to scale. I, for one, use it as a way to unwind after the rigamarole of constant RNG in every other mode.