[More info needed] TOD scrolls bug

Carnivores guild, PC

This is correct. I used Scroll of Fireball on a Haste room – cleared fine. Used it on Unlock room, game froze. But it still unlocks the room.

This is also happening consistently on PS4. I successfully used a fireball scroll to get a haste scroll, then using a heroism scroll immediately crashed the game - no lag, just an error message and instant crash. Of note, it wasn’t a Cliffy error.

When I reloaded, I had advanced to the next floor, so the heroism scroll did resolve properly.

Others in guild are reporting the same issues.

To make sure it isn’t server related (as claimed by the Dev).
I did the thing. Then switched to Airplane mode. Thus severing my connection to the server.

Zero change. :man_shrugging:

Silly me for thinking DEVs would quash this bug in 40+ hours since we are all playing TOD!

DEVs please send me another Heroism scroll!

Can anyone who is affected by this issue themselves please give me the following information:

• Your invite code (found in the bottom of the game settings menu)
  • which scroll did you use?
  • Are scrolls consumed?
  • On restart, does the event behave as if the scroll has been used or not?
  • What level of Tower of Doom were you on?
  • Are you able to play with out using scrolls after experiencing this issue?
    The Idle One
    Fireball and Heroism, different occasions
  • Are scrolls consumed?
    Yes
    It acts as its been used successfully.
    Various floors, didn’t start using scrolls until after floor 30. don’t remember what floors specifically and I don’t think the floor number actually matters
    Yes

Just to add to this, it has been happening on Switch ever since we got the update to be ready for the campaigns. Currently on the Switch no one is seeing CLIFFY errors whereas the weekend before (the one with the server issues) we were.

Hope this helps!

1 Like

UTINAM257_RK5G
    Fireball on a room containing the unlock scroll OR heroism
  • Are scrolls consumed?
    Yes
    Yes
    Last fireball used on 221, last heroism used on 222
    Yes

Suggestion : if the devs need more time or info to fix the issue, why not having another Tower of Doom even in a few weeks ? That way they get more data on the bug, and we get more of the only team-based event in the game (with GW I guess). Sounds like a win-win to me.

Thanks everyone, we found the cause of the issue, it does require a client update, however we’ve made a temporary fix in the meantime. This temporary fix required us to visually hide Unlock Scrolls and Dooms Defeated in specific circumstances, the full details are here, please help me spread the word and share this article with your Guilds:
https://gemsofwar.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360001970276

4 Likes

Is this for Switch too? I just used my heroism scroll and it crashed the game stating an error had occurred. The tried to use a Fireball scroll on an Unlock room and it caused it to crash as well.

Edit: Just had another confirmation that Fireball scroll on an Unlock room causes a crash

The temporary fix will be live on 5.0 soon (Switch). IT’s still being pushed out. Sorry about that.

1 Like

This is out on Switch now too.

2 Likes

@Kafka hi, is this likely to solve my issue as it has been 4 days of ToD and I still can’t play at all.

I have raised a ticket about it but still waiting for a resolution.

That is what I am stuck with, any help would be much appreciated, thanks

Why could this not be fixed 2 months ago? I mean wtf? I posted about this in bug reports back then along with one other person. Like I said back then, wont be fixed until it’s on the real systems. What a joke.
Cutting this addiction cold turkey. Let’s see if i fail like so many before me.

1 Like

@SerfThomas I’m asking any players with that issue to try force closing and re-opening the game to see if that issue persists.

@Earnham Can you please link me to the bug report thread for this from 2 months ago so I can review it? I wasn’t able to spot it in the bug reports section when I went looking for it just now. If you can even just point me in the right direction to find it that would be very helpful, thank you.

Dont know how to do that.
Maybe this: [Tech Issue?]Game crashes when using fireball scroll

Seems to work and you were in there. This game has pushed me over the edge. I quit out of my xbox accounts. I will be out on switch once campaign comes. Finally something I hate more than my addiction.

1 Like

Aha, so I can certainly understand your frustration if this is indeed the same issue (with the same cause) as the ToD issues we experienced on all platforms this week.

I can see from the thread that only 2 players reported it and I was leaning towards it being a technical issue based on the nature of the issue and the lack of bug reports on the topic.

I tried finding the tickets about it but they don’t seem to have the invite codes in them so they didn’t come up in my search. You would definitely have a response to them by now, I may have suggested some troubleshooting steps and asked some follow up questions to work out what caused this for you before taking next steps.

The reason we were able to act on this ToD so quickly was because we received MANY reports, which continued after the server issues were corrected, so from that point we knew it wasn’t the server issues causing it and clearly it wasn’t a technical issue as too many players were affected.

It is unusual for a bug of this nature to only affect 2 players, which is why my original leaning was it was a technical issue and that I needed to gather more information and try solutions which may work for individuals. It had nothing to do with which platform you were on.

If it is exactly the same issue, with exactly the same cause then I’m sorry I didn’t realise sooner that this was a bug. I would need to see the tickets from 2 months ago again to make sure it is the same bug.

It was every person in both of our guilds and every person I talked to that played on switch.

So what you are saying is it requires a certain number of people with problems for you to act? I have posted multiple other bugs that have not been fixed. I give up. If nobody pays attention when they play, which seems to be 99.9999% of the player base, they will never notice the things I have repeatedly posted. Even after I post them people try and correct me because they cant see it and just assume I am wrong.

2 Likes

Can she possibly dodge all of this?