Missing classes - underworld factions - weapons - pets and other features since reset

This *waves arms broadly* is why you establish on-call rotations and after-hours triage and emergency fix procedures for any 24/7 live product.

It’s also, unfortunately, another example of how GoW’s production pipeline makes me twitch.

1 Like

She is the voice of the company. I don’t like what the company has to say right now because I am a paying customer with a malfunctioning product. You have every right to applaud her for doing her job but know that the company has a huge problem at this very instance and all you are doing is encouraging them to continue being bad at business.

1 Like

Maybe you should give your coding abilities a try, it doesn’t look like you could fare much worse. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

8 Likes

How about hiring a coder to cover all time zones and provide actual 24/7 support?

1 Like

We are aware, you, as communication manager can not do more than what you are doing now. And this is certainly not aimed at you as a person, since you were pretty reactive on your own task. But it seems pretty weird that there is no “emergency” team for that kind of occasion. In the software business, this is not something unheard of. Especially when the game that generates your revenue is severely crippled and people playing it are not even sure they will be able to keep what they earned after the fix. And besides that, the timing before the GW is really bad for people like us for which the GW is what matters the most.

3 Likes

I’ve discussed many times why having a coder on call 24/7 isn’t feasible for us at this time. Most live service games don’t due to the exponential associated costs, and the extreme difficulty of finding an individual willing to do the role. When I have slightly more brain power I can dig up some of the old posts and re quote them here if people are interested.

However, I am human and must sleep so that I can work at my best tomorrow, and not look a right mess when streaming. It is already past my bed time. As mentioned earlier, I have collated a document that outlines the major issues and sent it to the developers to review once they’re awake. After that I will stay in contact with you and let you know what steps we are taking moving forward.

Once again, I am sorry that this has happened.

6 Likes

I am certain that players will gain back what has disappeared in terms of classes, pets and weapons.

If no one mentioned it here, it appears to line up with the switch releases.

1 Like

Night, thank you for doing what you can and passing it onto the devs.

Hopefully its an easy fix, and its all sorted early tomorrow Aus time so it doesnt effect GW much, although it will for some timezones but we cant fix that for now.

1 Like

Seems they were working on a Switch update, and the old code got reused for all platforms?

Could just be as simple as the wrong branch was pushed to master when it went live.

2 Likes

Not the code, the filter list. There’s a lot of incomplete troops/weapons/classes/delves in the game files as part of development, they eventually get set to visible once they are released. Unfortunately, the Hot Fix somehow gave us the Switch filter list, so we are no longer able to see most of the content released the past 9 months. Once they adjust the filter list everything will show up again.

5 Likes

Looking on the bright side … the visibility of the game assets look to have been rolled back X months, but the data for user variables, ie experience , gold, souls, counts of the assets (I have 63/60 pets, 48/40 banners for example) is still solid. So the view of the data is screwy but the underlying data seems solid. That’s definitely the good way around to have it!

3 Likes

There’’s no need for on call. Just a thought though, patch/hot fix earlier in your working day and it’s golden. It took a few minutes after it landed for it be found broken and would give time to remedy,

I always feel that you update, then finish, go home. I understand synchronising with daily restarts. Some slight rotation in the 21st century would cover maybe 2 hours after live and alleviate most of these issues people have.

Not having a dig, just constructive thoughts.

2 Likes

Hard to harmonize the above and the choice to push a forced update in the evening… :thinking::vulcan_salute:

Tangential irony: this current chaos may help defuse some people about what just happened with the Cedric Medal (that tricksy ‘bug’, as it was eloquently described by some official message despite the % numbers having been clear since Beta, based on how some testers are responding to that fiasco)
:blush::sweat_smile::vulcan_salute:

2 Likes

Only during a guild wars week. Go figure…

This is why you don’t put all your eggs in one time zone or have the expectation if you messed something up, you get to come online and fix it and not wait until tomorrow.

This is also not the first time a patch destroys other parts of the game. This is an every patch we break something else. I can’t fathom how little is caught between Dev/QA before going into Production environments. I also don’t understand pushing code and going home.

Did I want to come in an hour early to work this past Friday to push a patch, no. Did I, absolutely. Did I also want to work 3 hours past my shift the same day as another system had an issue when it was time to clock out? Nope, but you better believe I was online and working until it was resolved.

4 Likes

Ah guild wars week. Isn’t it always. Well I’m not going to touch anything besides tributes until 12 hours from now or so when they will have had time to sort this fiasco …

1 Like

I’m not doing anything til this problem is fixed!

1 Like

So, as a workaround, has anybody tried importing a team containing currently invisible troops/classes/weapons? Depending on how thorough their checks are this might still work to set up GW defenses for tomorrow.