As you all know, 4.0 is out and came with a lot of new features. I’d like to discuss the map overhaul.
- Snow falls, clouds float, waves crash - the environment is alive
- The continent feels bigger with the kingdoms not being on top of each other
- The UI elements retreat from the map so you can easily see the detail
- This map is another step away from the fantasy. The loading screens with their beautifully painted environments were a great step toward the wonderful fantasy element again, then the map pops up and it’s like looking at a brightly colored and stylized cartoon
- Yellow. While meadows can be yellow, this yellow is too bright and too plentiful.
- Zoom. You cannot zoom all the way out anymore so you end up doing a lot of dragging. The map has beautiful elements to it, and seeing them in their entirety I think would go a long way toward endearing this map to us
- While the kingdoms icons appear on the map, nothing on the map would indicate cities are there. It’s like a map of an untamed land with a bunch of crests dropped on it.
I am very pro content, and I am quite enjoying this patch. Like all change, the map will be refined and will become normal to us. I think a good discussion on how to improve it will end up with the best possible outcome.
How do you feel about it? I hear it is a perfect overlay to Boise, Idaho. Do you live in Boise? Which part of the map is your house in?