Map 4.0 - The Good, the Bad and the Cartography

I wouldn’t be shocked if they are modern vector assets that can use color ramps/gradients.

As for my opinion of the map…

I didn’t like the original map’s art style because it looked like antiquated '90s graphics. It was also too busy of a background behind the shields. It looked far too cluttered as well.

The new map style fixes those problems. But, I still don’t like it overall. It looks like a sea of smooth gradients that lack artistic flair and uniqueness. This stands out glaringly in contrast with the lovely hand-painted art that meets you when you log in.

Since I understand that having a resolution independent map is better for an asset that large that needs to scale well for a plethora of devices, I won’t whine about it. That doesn’t stop me from not liking it though. :stuck_out_tongue:

On a positive note, I love the particle effects and water.

7 Likes

I like the map in general. It needs some filing, yes, but it’s better than the previous version.

One thing in curious though: shadows from rocks. They fall to the south-west, which means the sun is on the north-east - and how that could be?..

1 Like

Your northern hemisphere bias is showing…

1 Like

I keep trying to ignore this, but…
:persevere:

Since it seems like a (poorly made) 3D object i hope they can remake it properly without needing another update.

3 Likes

What, you’ve never seen a mountain that was shaped exactly like a prism before?

1 Like

Making crude stuff on MsPaint just for the “lolz” has its charm, but the longer i stare and think about this being a professional work… These “mountains” are not even connecting properly between them, there is one above a piece of the other.

I’ll have to take a break and see/watch stupid stuff on the internet for a while.

3 Likes

I agree about the following:

1. Add more texture/realism. Land masses – mountains, forest, desert, or whatever – are not and should not be shown as smooth or so geometrically basic. Even in vector format, I think it can be improved without overdoing it.

2. Condense the map / kingdom spread a bit and allow us to zoom out more. I already miss the quicker ‘snap’ that moving from one kingdom to another had provided in the last version. I play on console (PS4 Pro) and on a big wall/screen too, so it’s even more obvious when using a controller.

I like everything else; it’s just the map graphics and navigation that I’d like to see improved.

1 Like

Yes, sure, but in southern hemisphere ices must be on the south, must not they?

ahahahahaha! AHAHAHAHAHA! They cut something out of a random Google image, flipped it sideways and put it into the ahahahahhaha gaaaahahahame! AHAHAHAHAHAH! AHAHAHA!

1 Like

I honestly did better works than that, and just to post silly/funny/nonsense in these forums… :sweat_smile:

Ugly map. I thought actual year I was living was 2018… I still cant swallow new arcane stones design, old ones were so beautiful. Now the world map. :cry:

Support the thread and make Devs see this.