Invasions: Feedback and suggestions

Some more feedback after completing the event:

I coasted through this event on my main account while barely trying. Only bought t3, but I was able to brute force my way through every fight because they needed a double-tap to kill me from full, which isn’t hard to manage when you also have heavy board mod and barriers.

My alt account had a bit more of a rough go since I don’t have the resources to trait Stone-Shaker and while I have a Forest Guardian, that is also untraited. Also my Stone-Shaker’s stats look like this:

and heres what a towers stats look like

I was able to do a no-loss run to the citidel, at which point things got dicey with pretty much everything being a one-shot on pretty much every troop I have, but I could crawl forward putting the hero with Mang and using a looping skull spam setup and replacing the fallen hero with a spider. Would have been easier if I made the hero a warden so he lasted a bit longer with the barriers and the beast buff, but after winning like this a few times I decided it wasn’t worth it at this point. I could keep playing, as this was probably the most enjoyable either event has been, but since we aren’t anywhere close to the next reward tier, I probably won’t since the battles are so long (something that still needs to be addressed).

Heres the team for reference.

I feel what I was experiencing on my low level account is about right scaled up to a high tier purchases for endgame. I was looping and using barriers, but it wasn’t “easy” I had to be careful, think a couple moves ahead to extend my loops, and with all that I had the tools I needed to fight things much, much stronger than me. Hero is a two-shot with skulls, but basically any tower casting would end me without barrier up. The problem here, of course, is not every week is going to have something that can barrier, certainly not as easy as Forest Guardian (there is always technically dawnbringer, but that isn’t an option for so many people). Towers have way more forgiving scaling than raids, so losing my Mang in the above team meant slower-going, but not basically “give up” because I couldn’t even appreciably damage any of the minions. When things have scaled that far above you, though, either way, managing barriers or looping is absolutely essential part of being able to make progress. Without extra-turn barriers as a part of your kit on the table (and no, dawnbringer does not count in this instance) and/or the ability to loop entire teams to death, I feel that these, too, will be too predicated on stat checks and RNG to be enjoyable.

I think raids and invasions both need to take a step back and examine what the “core” of their mode is supposed to be. Each one gives a specific task with a specific set of restrictions. I do like team building restrictions and taking some of easier converter loops off the table is essential for modes like this to maintain a bit of variety between the mode every time it appears is, but I think the categories they have been placed in are simply too arbitrary for a consistently satisfying experience in either mode. I wouldn’t want, for example, Suncrest as a raid kingdom or Stryx as a raid type for either of them, because they are all too straightforward, lack board mod, and are low scaling that I’m basically relying on the few things my hero does well to carry the entire battle, and you can’t use good play to overcome the scaling.

This could be mostly solved by the hero actually having a complete toolkit to competently perform in any given role that the kingdom or troop type is missing, but there are certain weapons already too essential to the process to make up for an entire kingdoms lack of being able to bring anything to the table in either mode, and the godslayer/siegebreaker don’t really adequately fill this out either.

tl;dr: I have a feeling a large part of what made Invasion tolerable was the powerful kit we have this week. I don’t want to play either of these modes without a consistent and reliable way to board mod outside of using the terrible, terrible hero options. Being able to take hits by managing barriers is also a key element that gives it a puzzle-like feel and allows battles to play out with some give and take when things scale up. Every single event needs to be tuned so that this type of give and take is possible, but sticking with troops types and kingdoms with one or two lackluster new troops, they wont be.

Oh, and the event weapon is still terribly designed. Still a potential game-loser when you get into the main meat of the content, and robs you of your occasionally essential hero weapon swing slot, but more useful to brute-force through early rounds a least. Suggest, again, that these have double damage to towers and bosses at least, if not triple.

5 Likes

My feedback on invasion, we hit portal 12 on Friday so thankfully I was done for the week with them. I think next time our big spenders will spend less as we figure out how much we all need to get the portals fairly between the guild.

All In all, it was a fresh take on a older game and it was a nice change up, but the rewards aren’t very rewarding so I was having more fun in pvp and explore, looking for gnomes.
I think gnomes ate my new favorite part of the game.

2 Likes

Are the numbers right for the invasions? It seems lower and like our guild finished all of the stages rather fast?
Was this intended?

1 Like

Maybe but then again you do have great guild members to get things done :wink:

2 Likes

Last time we had invasion, we figured 16,935 towers needed to be defeated to finish the event. This week, I added up only 1,400 were needed for completion. I’m sure this was not intended. @Saltypatra may know the answer?

1 Like

Adding up to 1400 tower kills to finish this week atm. Last time was 5250 total, post correction, and 16935 while they had the numbers entered incorrectly for them to not be cumulative totals but individual reward tier requirements. It looks like they reversed the data entry error from last time, as adding each total to all previous totals for every reward tier gets, you guessed it, 5250 total, which I believe is still the intended mark based on all the math I did last time. 1400 would be a freebie for most guilds. Oops.

@Sirrian @Alpheon @Nimhain @ozball @saltypatra @Cyrup

If a correction is needed, it should be done sooner rather than later.

4 Likes

I think they are doing some experiments to find the sweet spot. A research question they might be trying to answer - how much more will players play if there are no guild rewards?

2 Likes

Invasion is good. Leave it as it is.
Raid Boss is bad. Get rid of it. Or switch it to a mini-game instead of a weekly grind.

4 Likes

I agree, the gentler scaling and lack of cheap 1-shots make invasions far more enjoyable…

3 Likes

I noticed they fixed it and we are back on the 9th stage, now I think I kept my rewards and I hope to get them again, I will know that later.

Thanks devs for the quick fix and I hope this is a freebie week for anyone that did all 12 stages yesterday.

Please let us keep out rewards.

Sorry for bringing it up if anyone liked it that low, I just thought it was odd.

It was a bug that benefited the player. Whether anyone mentioned it or not it would have been fixed very quickly regardless :sweat_smile:

8 Likes

To complete the event one day one, that would have been nice.

I was looking forward to doing no more invasions for the rest of the week.

2 Likes

I’m not a big fan of these new game modes as they are. They take up our time for getting the rest of what we need.

Zero trophy growth at all!!!

Pvp is a game mode that brings in the best seals and gold earned during play time.

3 Likes

The fix didn’t come soon enough and should have been left alone for this week. Now many guilds have a mixture of players, some who weren’t able to collect the rewards in time before the fix, and some who collected the full rewards and have little incentive do any more invasions this week.

7 Likes

So if they were already completed yesterday, and claimed, they cannot be claimed again?

Can anyone confirm this?

1 Like

Here I was thinking how nice it would be to have one of the events be more difficult, and one a little easier that most guilds could complete… Should have known better I guess.

5 Likes

Confirmed, unfortunately :frowning:

2 Likes

Thank you.

Good luck to everyone as we drag our way through another event.

Thankfully guild wars and a new mythic next week.

Team builds, if anyone missed this thread for this weeks invasions.

Lol you guys are naive persons if you were thinking we could get double rewards :stuck_out_tongue:

Devs are not stupid

7 Likes