How to trash your credibility, Journey edition

To recap, the Journey event a month ago was nothing short of a fiasco. Community feedback was overwhelmingly negative, with multiple feedback threads explainig how the event got broken, why this resulted in an utterly frustrating game experience and what could possibly be done to lessen the pain.

Instead of any immediate remediation, we were given this response:

Guilds struggled throughout the week, in a big way. They either bailed out or compensated the huge loss in scoring by making a significant amount of extra purchases. There was no refund for abusing us as beta testers. At least we were promised that this would only be a one-time screw-up, to be corrected for the next Journey event:

It’s now five weeks later, the next Journey event is coming up, data files show that it will be an even more utterly frustrating game experience. The Pathfinder is still a mandatory liability, there is just a tiny number of other troops to pick from, none of them even remotely viable at higher levels. The only way to even win battles under those conditions is by owning a certain old event weapon, which just happens to eat up enough turns to get punished with the maximum score penalty. Surely, it’s high time to hear about those necessary tweaks that have been over a month in the making, right?

And then we get this official gem of communication:

Seriously? You didn’t do anything, at all? You ignored all our feedback, every single bit of it? Your only plan is to keep pretending month after month that you’ll need yet another round of data collection, after which you’ll definitely look into improvements, pinky promise? And you don’t even have the courage to communicate that honestly, you just hope this recurring Journey mess will eventually get accepted as new De Facto standard you couldn’t care less about fixing?

Congratulations on hitting a new low.

61 Likes

They’ve been trying really hard. It gets more difficult with every new mess up so bravo to the team. :roll_eyes:

8 Likes

Guilds struggled throughout the week, in a big way. They either bailed out or compensated the huge loss in scoring by making a significant amount of extra purchases.

That was the player-base’s first mistake, because

We always monitor changes through the game data to ensure it’s having the expected effect and if it’s not, we are happy to tweak things further as necessary for the next Journey Event.

The expected effect was (most likely) more spending, so no tweaking is required.

The player-base needs to just drop the event. Ignore it. There is no other route to expediting a change, otherwise it’s just complaining about the dinner that you still went ahead and ate anyway.

13 Likes

Anyone else notice the new journey troop goes back to the old spell if you shiny level 2 it? lol

can’t see that

It doesn’t. The boost factor stays the same, it just creates an extra gem, which is still highly unreliable. Especially since you probably don’t want to run your hero as Spiritwalker.

4 Likes

You wrote everything I would had in a post, just that my english is only half as good as yours, so I would always become too direct. I decided therfor after a 30 days ban not to write a post, hoping some would do. Thanks Four!

3 Likes

To be fair… the gem dragons and eggs received WAY more negative feedback and was way more detrimental to the game and blatantly insulting to players of every level. They ignored all the feedback, ignored the easy to implement obvious solutions that would have fixed it, then LIED about giving us targeted crafting, and then spit in everybody’s faces with cosmic dragons for MORE currency spent. The journey event situation kinda pales in comparison, at least imo anyways.

It’s time for people to understand the CX people are a barrier between people that care and the developers. Not the passers on of useful feedback, they’re an intentional barrier. The actual developers (not the people who cosplay with dev in their titles online) do not care about your feedback and do not care about making situations better unless there’s a way to monetize it. These people would have to A. Play the game and B. Care about the game in order for mass negative feedback to result in anything positive for the players or for the game’s health in general.

I do applaud your effort in trying to hold them to task for their awful decisions and lack of information/communication but it’ll never get anywhere with people who don’t care in the first place. Their credibility was trashed a long time ago.

15 Likes

drop news at the weekend and run… unllike them :rofl:

5 Likes

And always remember:

as posted here → Journey Event Scoring and Pathfinder Troop Rebalance information - #68 by Kafka 9

Just quoted/linked this shared valuable information again.

Also valuable information regarding other “topics” that need “quick resolving”.

Barrier indeed is useful.
Nothing gets through.
:surfing_man: :clown_face:

5 Likes

The drop rates are probably super low but the shop Journey troops do drop mythic! I got Wulfgarok, the only decent high-level troop in the event. Lucky me :smile:

3 Likes

Drop rate for event shop tiers is about the same as glory keys I think? I’m pretty sure I read that somewhere ages ago.

I am fully prepared, that in future journey events, they roll back the change… to count only full turns instead of every piece of a combo.

“We listen to your feedback, appreciate it, and do the exact opposite.”

So i did notice that they dropped all journey troops that have been previously made to conform to the new two gem creation standard instead of the previous variations in 4 to 3 but why?

Did everyone complain about it being nothing but a one troop loop show so they “fixed” a while back and now we are complaining about how weak the newly adopted journey troop is? If that’s the case then yes i agree. It seems like a tweak to buy more gems instead of using what you got type thing which as they stand are very weak as you traverse through the miles, needing more magic that just doesn’t seem to drop other than the first few miles and that’s it forever.

So what are you looking at buying data of the guilds because it seems that was the only thing that the fix hurt and made you win the end because after all isn’t it what it’s all about these days?

Not to mention my guild has about a 20% refusal rate on all events making those who actually do the events even harder to accomplish. So i have to buy the 10 dollar popups on Wednesday weekly just to keep up so thanks.

They had 2 years of journey events to analyze data and verify if the troops were or weren’t OP. No changes. But it seems that they ignored that every troop may be used in other game modes.
The main and only complaint about journey troops is concerning PVP and people having trouble dealing with them on PVP. The easiest way for the devs to fix the PVP problem is to nerf the journey troops, but without really understanding the impact on the original purpose of the troops, the Journey. This is a unforeseeable mess created by the devs, escalated by the devs and ignored by the devs.

3 Likes

“Without really understanding the impact on pvp” or actually how to use or create play thier created troops in general!

I mean this is the fundamental problem with the developers since I’ve seen them play during the good 'ol days when they used to play for us live on a weekly basis. It was cringe worthy. I remember the video they made when they were showing us the new GAP and put together a team even with salty there and it was so clunky and awkward that it just shows that they dont play the game at all. It seemed so difficult to put together a simple team they beg the audience to help but dont listen and when they would feature a new troop the supporting casts that are thought out are so in left field its hard to watch and makes me wonder if they ever play the game at all and just shit out troops. The disconnect was beyond anything that i could rationalize and a good thing they pulled the plug on the live show to reduce thier liability in showing how bad they dont actually do thier do diligence in creating a quality product and selling it to the public. Im going off topic sorry…

4 Likes

Congratulations. It is rare to get mythics during a tier buy but well worth the “brag” when you do!!

1 Like

I wouldnt consider our guild a casual guild, we are higher working than that, but as for now it doesnt look like we will be able to get the 2 books of deeds. And that is far from the last tasks in the reward ladder.

I feel sorry for my members and guild because I have failed as a GM, that is what it feels like, when changes like these enter the game. And what ultimately kills it, is to have members leaving on top of it.

3 Likes

The whole argument about it breaking PvP is a nonsense. There were ways to stop them but if it was an issue the fact books stil exist makes no sense. If it was really an issue all they need to do is add a restriction that excludes troops with the Pathfinder trait. That way people can use the troops as much as they want and where there is this apparent issue they can be excluded from the troop pool

6 Likes

Well said, @Fourdottwoone! This event has become unbearable. It is late Friday & we are only halfway through Stage 14. My guild is pretty active & normally, we’d have finished this by now, but with the Pathfinder troop nerf, it has become an utter gem suck to get the 10,497 points necessary because you get penalized so harshly in the higher levels, as everyone is so terribly aware Ya know, if their reasons behind the nerf were legit, all they’d have to do is release the troop as it used to be for the Journey event, and then nerf it after the event was over. That way the troop would still be useless for PVP. Seems pretty simple to me. That is…if the given reason is legit.

6 Likes