How are we all feeling about Gems of War now? Let’s review!

And in exchange for being civil, you have two choices.
Have hero class change reduced to 5 gems, or have dawnbringer removed from arena opponents.

These are server side changes, no need for client patch.

3 Likes

I am not having fun at ALL with invasions and portals. For one thing, they’re the same thing? I don’t see why we need them separate. And you can’t really participate particularly meaningfully unless you already have some high-level troops in the required kingdom or you want to dump 10k souls into pumping some up. I liked guild wars. Just let me do that every week in peace, damn it. I barely play on non-war weeks now (I log in every day for the bonus, maybe do half the dungeon, that’s about it).

Not to mention it’s been several updates since the game was stable. But that’s not the issue at hand.

I don’t keep up on the forums a whole lot so I don’t know to what degree all this has been said, just adding my voice.

3 Likes

For me personally, I play on my own in a one-person guild which I occasionally make a halfhearted attempt to recruit for. Based on who I fight in guild wars, there’s a LOT of people doing this along with me – at least half the guilds I fight are also single person, which is obviously skewed because that’s who will get ranked with me, but I’ve still probably seen at least a hundred single-person guilds in the half a year since wars were released. So I don’t think “active in an active guild” is a good predictor of overall activity.

3 Likes

I like to see them as three different experiments.

I like Bounty the most of the three, because the stuff I do each week has the largest impact on the next weeks. I get to use my Bounty Troops again in the next event! That’s not going to happen for a long, long time in the other modes.

However, I also appreciate how in Raid Boss events, the entire guild’s participation is part of the measure. I guess this is bad for less active guilds, but I like the feeling that we’re all working on something together.

Invasions seems to take the worst of all worlds. You don’t really get to choose your fate the same way as bounties, it has the same long cycle as Raid Boss, and you’re making an individual effort.

2 Likes

Thank you for stopping by and giving us a update, I’ll take it as progress in to a better future for the game.

I agree, maybe they are seeing what works the best and will sort this all out later, maybe mesh them together a bit, or something of that nature.

Now that guild wars has come and gone, I think I would like to see it every other week, so we can gain gems in between the event weeks.

1 Like

After experiencing all 3 events I must say I don’t really like them, but I’m happy we got a few new game modes. They need some refining, sure. The things I still love the most are explore and PvP so these are the things I spend the most time on. The gnomes are a really nice addition and even though I would like to see them more often, I can’t wait until the next vault event :slight_smile: These events can make up for a lot of wasted resources on other weekly events (unless you’re aiming at first place on leaderboard).

Either way I’m thrilled to see what else is coming. The spoilers have me on edge! :moneybag:

3 Likes

I’m feeling like we are going to see more and more players quitting soon each week if something isn’t done.

Sure the new modes were fun for maybe a day out of each week, but if this is the new game, and how it’s going to be, I don’t see it lasting much longer.

More and more veterans will walk away from this pay to win nightmare.

Good luck and let’s hope they are behind the scenes brainstorming, or is it too late?

I also have a feeling that nothing will be changed until the next update, which will on be made to fix this update.

1 Like

I think the term “pay to win” is misrepresenting what these new modes are. The term is giving them too much credit lol. What are you winning exactly? For approx 5000 gems you get a power orb. Big deal. You just shaved some time off being able to craft Zuul. That’s all you won, a timesaver.

Don’t get me wrong, I have no problem with anyone who wants Zuul quicker than everyone else, but are they really winning anything? Everyone will get Zuul eventually.

Technically this game has ALWAYS been pay to win anyway because you can buy gems as much as you want from day 1.

8 Likes

You’re right, that is the wrong way to say it.

Pay to lose, all of your resources are being drained and very little gained.

That does seem to sum it up better.

1 Like

Over in xbox land and based on pvp rankings, this game is more popular than ever. Last week I had a 5k pvp score, and I was in ~15000 place. That’s about a 25% increase over the last couple of months.

3 Likes

We have talked about this though up the thread a little bit, are they real numbers or are the devs running bots to make the game look more popular then it is?

Hard to tell.

I find it hard to believe that many people are really playing this game and staying quiet in the back ground.

I guess it could happen though, out of my guild only a handful of us use the forums.

3 Likes

I used to think they were fake numbers, but I think they’re accurate. Any idea on what ps4 numbers are?

1 Like

I’ll post later, when I’m home, I’m around 100 fights. Unless someone beats me to it.

The thing is that you are right, but the minds of veterans have been trained differently.

The new modes are guild-modes. Most veterans are in guilds which impose at least some requirements and, in most cases, those requirements always included “Do your GW matches”. With the new modes replacing GW, it is the most natural thing to therefore do the GW-replacements as part of the dailies, no matter how little the reward, to the best of everyone’s ability. Even if the guild is not placing a requirement, it’s easy to feel guilty and like a freeloader when others are doing the modes a lot and you yourself don’t want to. We were all trained to do our daily duties for months, so people continue even when they now take ages and are not fun.

I found bounties to be really enlightening. Bounties are single-player, they don’t impose team restrictions so that people can keep their playing style and if someone doesn’t want to do them, they just can skip them like the snotstone event without any guild/guilt-tripping.
Basically, bounties are - for me - the way this new game mode (since it’s essentially a single game mode split into three events) is done right.

1. It is single-player; the game is guild-reliant enough as it is already.
  2. It does not impose team restrictions so that everyone can play with the style they want to play.
  3. It offers level-selection, which is a HUGE plus. Level-selection means:
  • People who want to use bounty-troops without paying in the shop for ascension material can just repeat lower levels and still get good points.
  • People who just want to play with their favourite power-teams can just play level 20 over and over.
  • Newbies can continue to win. In fact, everyone can continue to win; the fact that winning in Raid or Invasion just makes the next battle worse is making a win far less fun, after all.
  • People who want to max their rewards can do so.
  • People who just want to play 5 minutes a day can still use all their sigils by playing faster, lower levels instead of just skipping the whole event because a single battle takes forever because of team restrictions and/or increasing, not chooseable enemy strength.

Hence, I find bounties to be the “good” way to do the new mode which is friendly to every player. Bounties mean an offer of choices. Raid and invasions mean chores, not choices. Just endlessly increasing chores. And that’s not good.

8 Likes

I don’t like any of these mode, if it was only me i would replace bounty for gnome event and instead of 1 x per month, i would make it 2 x per month

4 Likes

I think raid, invasion, bounty, and gnome should all be non guild oriented weekend events. Then have guild wars at least every other week… just saying…

2 Likes

I think most people would say they prefer the bounty over the other 2 new events. (Make of that what you will Devs) It’s a shame you MUST go to tier 6 or 7 though to get all rewards compared to raid and invasion only 2 or 3 if you’re in a good guild.

2 Likes

I don’t agree with the gloom-and-doom “players are leaving” vibe now that the dust has settled.

To me, the game feels “normal” again. I have a set of “chores” that give me rewards if I do them. GW was like that. 5 PvP battles with higher states than usual. My guild’s casual and the game doesn’t talk about GW strategy so I just tore through it with whatever team I felt like. Yawn. Now I yawn my way through whatever other mode’s active. It’s the most “interesting” on Monday when I have more sigils, but I find I don’t want to play all of them.

The stuff I’m “losing” because I don’t minmax these modes is minimal. I’d love more orbs. I’d love more stuff. But I’d love keeping my money/gems so I don’t bother. This is kind of the same as how I felt about GW: I’d have loved to be better at it, but getting there involved looking for guilds with requirements I couldn’t meet and have fun.

One neat side effect: I’m slowly accumulating orbs. There will come a day where instead of spending 1k gems, I’ll have the option to max out a Godslayer/Siegebreaker/Bounty Hunter with my orbs. I don’t know that I’ll ever take that option, but I still can.

All in all I don’t think the game’s changed for me. I still log on and spend 90% of my time either gold or traitstone farming. It felt like it was changing when these modes were new. But now that I know there’s not a strong reason for me to push myself too hard, they’re just another thing I do when I’m bored with farming.

That’s not going to drive me to quit.

3 Likes

That’s business as usual on the forum. Every time the devs make big changes, there will inevitably be some people (often times the same people) that announce xyz change is causing an exodus of epic proportions.

The realty is that some people leave for all kinds of reasons: boredom, resistance to change, just not liking the new path of the game, etc. At the same time, new people come to the game. It’s a cycle that has repeat itself more times than I can count in GoW.

7 Likes

Yes, yes, Gnomes of War if left up to you. So you need to sweet talk @Saltypatra @Cyrup to get a special Gnomes of War logo screen during the event.

1 Like