How are we all feeling about Gems of War now? Let’s review!

Just started here. I’m only investing enough to clear all stages. Anyone know what that might be?

1 Like

Let me know how you make out, it seems aweful high and may likely be a number error, just like the issue invasions had.

I wonder if that’s the case and it’s the weekend, if it would even get fixed.

@Mithran , have you checked their calculations yet?

1 Like

Seems if you get all 4 new bounty troops and put them together you breeze thru rewards easily. Just spend enough to get the 4.

1 Like

Anyone else notice the St. Patrick’s Day sale?

Smart. Have us spend all our gems on Raids, Invasion, and Bounty. Then, they “conveniently” are running a Gem sale for the holiday.

Uh, huh… Yeah. Does anyone else smell Salmon?

5 Likes

Yeah, but after a certain point, they just aren’t enough. So, then, you basically have four choices. You either:

1. Buy more tiers to get more copies to ascend them to make then stronger to try and get to the higher battles.

2. Switch over to a non-bounty team to progress further through the higher battles.

3. Replay the earlier battles for less base points per match.

4. A combo of 1 and 3 so you have higher bonuses at lower battle levels.

5. A combo of 1 and 2 (edit)

1 Like

It was the same when they completely slashed Gems from tasks. The next day they conveniently had their annual Gem sale.

You can smell the :horse: :poop: from a mile away.

4 Likes

Yeah. Dinner last night. I need to take out my trash.

2 Likes

Nice use of emojis. I laughed pretty hard at that. Lol.

In all seriousness though, you are correct.

1 Like

I’m glad I won’t be playing until later so I can do a full review before I spend any gems, to see if the top reward is even worth chasing.(not 1st place, just rewards for the player).
If it’s even doable or are the numbers incorrect again.

How far has everyone went today?
And how many tiers did you have to buy?What method did you use?

Thanks.

I bought up to tier 3 (yeah, I know, I’m feeding into their bs, but I don’t plan on spending gems on these game modes past this week).

As for method, I used 4 bounty troops up until battle 10 or 12. After that, I switched to 2 bounty-2 non bounty teams

I’m on Reward 13, I believe. About 2,000 into it and still have 6 or 7 battles left.

1 Like

Why do they give us 3 new game modes that are pretty much the same… Diversity please :frowning:
I only buy the tiers to get the new troops that come with the events.

4 Likes

I do not like that the new game modes now make me choose between “periodically opening gem chests” and “being able to participate reasonably well”.

I was happily getting enough gems to spend 450 on keys per week. Now I realize that spending gems on Bounties, due to its weird offset schedule, will very likely make me unable to buy tiers in the Raid Boss shop on Monday.

So I guess going forward I’m just going to have to commit to “not participating in bounties”, which is a shame because I think it’s got the most potential of any of the events so far.

2 Likes

Number look off in the same way that Invasions were when they launched, but the ambiguous nature of being able to stack bounty troops makes it harder to tell (towers were easy, since the functional maximum and expected maximum were pretty much the same). Posted in the Bounties thread. If these numbers are intended, it is still outside of the range of functional possibility (without using orbs of ascencsion) to get the score required to finish the event on a t4 purchase perfectly played all the way through with only bounty troops the entire time and still getting every battle and every valraven (which is again basically impossible). And this is with required points being reduced 20-25%. Logical assumption is the same mistake was made in data-entry.

2 Likes

You would think after making that mistake once with invasions, they could have double checked their numbers before the release, but as always, they leave it up to us to figure all of these issues out, thanks for checking.

And now that it is the weekend, who knows if they will even be able to fix it in time. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Went from somewhat happy to not happy at all with bounties

1 Like

The good thing is you can change your vote.

1 Like

Hey now, they RIGOROUSLY TESTED IT. They said so… do you not believe them at their word? I know I certainly don’t.

1 Like

In case the current scores are wrong, if the devs forgot to adjust them down by 20%~25%, i believe you won’t need to do that again, even with the reduction of score for this Bounty Captain on the next Bounty you’ll still have enough troops to score some rewards without any extra investiment.

Finishing the 12 battles with the sigils we have (three days of event with no Valraven) you can score 780 points (with no Bounty Troops at all) which is close to the 900 points needed for Reward 7.

Reaching Reward 7 you’ll gain a total of 4 Gems Keys, 20 Gems, 5 Diamonds, and some gold/souls/whatever.

If you can manage to reach Reward 8 (with the help of Valravens) you get 10 extra gems and 5 Diamonds and if you can use these extra gems to reach Reward 9 you can at last obtain an Orb of Caos if you want to try your luck for an Orb of Ascension.

What makes the “Bounty Troops” more useful than the ones in Raids/Invasions is the fact the Bounty Event don’t have any restriction for your team, so accumulating some variety of these troops eventually pays off the time you put playing it without using any gems and this first investiment you made can compensate itself.

4 Likes

This would be fine if the game’s rewards were structured out so that the latter could, objectively and long term, be the “good choice”. As it stands, Gems have always been a non-functional premium currency because it is far too ingrained that you are, past getting your one-time armor requirements, supposed to just use them to collect troops. The attempt to zero-sum them isn’t going to work on anybody that was already playing the game. Any other free to play game would have their goals spread out a bit more so that the premium currency would turn into other currencies (at a somewhat reasonable rate, at least early on, which GoW doesn’t) other items/things to collect (which GoW doesn’t have) temporary bonuses (which GoW only monetizes directly) convenience features (mostly monetized directly in GoW, some aren’t like class changes or PvP refresh, but they are rarely used because everybody knows gems = troops), giving more of the game’s energy (which GoW doesn’t have for their main mode and is generally viewed as abhorrent for the main playerbase), or “instant gratification” things that hugely sacrifice efficiency (GoW only has this in the form of souls and gold conversions, they are hardly gratifying, and they are way off base on the reward ratio even early game).

With these new sinks, gems to keys of any type remains the path of least resistance toward getting all the stuff that is the most relevant and players will naturally trend toward the path of least resistance as they learn more about how to use the game systems to accomplish the goals the game has laid out for them. Gems needed to act as a functional premium currency from the beginning (always spendable and always having something that is attractive to spend them on) for what they are trying to push to work, and direct “gem summons” (buying keys directly) usually needs to be viewed as the worst deal. But having enough buffer to get that next troop with gems etc is often the first thing people think about - given scarcity, thats where they want to spend. That is why these new costs are being met with so much resistance - they legitimately are not “worth” the gems if you look at it objectively and from a point of scarcity. While they are new and novel now, just gut feelings (let alone hard math) on cost/benefit ratios will naturally lead people away from them long term and then they won’t be functional sinks. In other words, currency plus time plus merit (or just effort) should always trump currency spent directly, or why bother with the former?

If have no idea if/when they intend to fully roll out an entirely revamped economy for when Gems can actually function as a premium currency in the same way it does in other free to play games, which seems to be what they are going for here, but they are going to have to do a lot better if they want to entice people away from gems == troop collection resource and toward gems == something you can spend to enhance your experience in any of the games systems and accelerate ways to progress toward a given goal in various different systems. To start with, directly using them to buy keys in arbitrary/unlimited numbers in order to obtain troops needs to be among the least efficient things you can use the currency for, since that is often viewed as the ultimate goal of the game. Good luck managing that in a system this established without direct nerfs that would piss off, well, pretty much everyone. Goes doubly for VIP5+ players, who have essentially double gem efficiency toward collecting mythics over players that don’t.

tl;dr: Another game economy rant. Semi-relevant to the original topic because pointing toward the reasoning behind why the new costs are being met with such resistance and is the source of a lot of what people view negatively about the patch as a whole.

8 Likes

Ah, I see what you mean. I think these bullets are another good TL;DR of your post and I agree:

• In GoW, your most desirable goal for a long time is “obtain troops I don’t have”.
  • In GoW, gems can be used to obtain rare troops more reliably than the easily-available keys.
  • Therefore most players want to spend gems on gem keys above all else.
  • New GoW events offer ways to trade your gems for orbs, vault keys, and other currencies.
  • For every conceivable use of orbs and the other currencies, they are worth far less than the gem exchange rate for events.
  • Therefore savvy players should ignore event shops and continue to open event keys.
  • This is a serious flaw in the GoW economy.

Sound about right?

It’s kind of sickening to see someone lay out that the rewards gained by spending 1k+ gems translates to about 300 gems worth of value. But this is perfectly in line with offering me a legendary troop for $50 and claiming it’s worth $120 or some other value.

12 Likes