Hotfix Plans

Looking forward to Nov 07, 2022.

1 Like

Going forward in future releases, there needs to be a way to hotfix those problems through file downloads instead of an entire game update that has to go through app store review.

The change can be as simple as defining the locations and/or sizes of each element in a JSON file. It’s probably much more robust than whatever setup is currently being used for item placement.

This is at least the 3rd or 4th time in recent memory we’ve had broken/corrupt assets causing panic, weekend-hours, overnight shifts etc. Every time we hear “we’ve put in additional checks to make sure this won’t happen again,” and yet here we are. It’s disappointing to know that the company puts so little value on its own employees’ time, let alone its user community, that it doesn’t take the obvious step of hiring someone who knows what they’re doing around release management, quality assurance, change control, and project management.

We hear: “a dev read about a bug and fixed it even though it wasn’t on the list” and we’re meant to see that as a good thing… but let me tell you from 15+ years of experience in professional software development, that it is not. It leads to exactly this type of chaos, and it’s a sign of bad leadership above all else. The decision to prioritize schedule over quality is not one that the devs make, it’s the leadership. Rotten leadership is very hard to fix, especially when they make it the developers’ problem to fix the results of their bad decisions.

Crying about this on the forum is not going to solve anything, and getting mad at Kafka or the other Cx folks or the devs is not going to solve anything. This is a fundamental issue with the culture and process at the company, and it will NEVER get better unless changes are made at that level. I am sorry to the employees who are subjected to this disaster. My advice is to look for better. I can tell you there are software companies out there that DO care about testing, that DO care about work-life balance, and that WON’T throw you under the bus when bad leadership decisions result in overtime for the dev team. Good luck to all of us in the meantime.

17 Likes

Buying all the pet packs leaves me with one left? Am I missing something? Is there a free pet imbedded in the weeks free offers?

4 Likes

Well, the update hit Switch today.

This includes the momentary red flashes of the map screen after battles.

@Kafka this bug is explore and challenges breaking for new players who haven’t completed the auto battle tutorial.

Hell of a way to experience Gems of War early on.

2 Likes

Update may have broken notifications for new installations on iOS 15 too.

Oh well.

So - 10+ days and still no Hotfix??!!

Pathetic and disgraceful!

3 Likes

They are working on a hotfix for the hotfix before it can be released.

3 Likes

I’m calling it now. The hot fix will be inevitably delayed and released as the core feature of 6.7

3 Likes

Nintendo switch lite. Hoping once I get the OLED console it will be there and the game will run better.

I’m hoping its not that long like aka the 21st where me might be offline being 22 :smiling_face:

any update for 6.6 hotfix plan?

Breaking playability on any platform for new things or things that are not yet in the game isn’t sensible. No word from @Kafka for 9 days now… Broken for 2 weeks. Why release broken, untested stuff? Is alienating your player base somthing that is ever considered when you are rushing stuff out the day before a weekend? (i.e. deal with it over the weekend when you play most and maybe we will make a post on Monday about how sorry we are and we will get to a fix eventually…). Some of us put real money (a lot of it) into this game. That won’t last if this is the new normal.

2 Likes

The answer to that is: “As long as people play the game and spend money, we sit back, count it, and laugh.”

^ Literally their agenda. Anyone who thinks otherwise is delusional.

7 Likes

Look up ingame “when” “The Lost Souls of Carmina” -Event is going to end! “Coincidentally” this works perfectly with the phrase that was used (“within the next week”).
If that’s the case, then why not just say so directly… Why always circumscribe and obfuscate things and use stalling tactics when most likely the “real date” is (and was?) already known internally?

I’d be more than impressed if anything happens before said event ends.

Heretic @Tabu Tabu how dare you speak the truth! :wink:

5 Likes

Hi everyone, just an update as it’s now Friday here:

We’ve finished the hotfix but we’re not going to be able to push it live this week.
It’s now looking like early next week. We had hoped to get it to you all before the weekend but it hasn’t been possible.

We’re very sorry we couldn’t get it to you sooner and thank you so much to everyone for their patience.

5 Likes

It’s a bummer that it’s taking longer than expected, but thank you kindly @Kafka for letting us know.

2 Likes

Wait what? It’s done but we are not going to let you have it? Forgive me for not understaning how something that is complete must wait until next week. How about “we didn’t get it done yet so we can’t push it till next week”. I don’t mean to be rude, but you certianly accepted my money when I purchased the ring of wonder. Then you gaffed my ability to play the game and I am just supposed to be happy with the same thing you said 2 weeks ago? It would have been easier to cut-n-paste your previous response… How about refunding the ring or giving me a fresh one when you get around to “pushing the fix to the player base”…
@Tabu - I couldn’t agree more, now like Elon says “gimmie my $8”