Guild Wars - Sneak Peek V

Let’s not lose this thread to silly memes.

On-topic: @sirrian @nimhain do we have any stats that might bring some perspective to this discussion?

• how many Guilds are there?
  • what’s the distribution of member numbers?
  • any measures of average activity?

@htismaqe my instinct is that a #31 guild is pretty top tier compared to the majority of the player base that the devs have to look after…

5 Likes

I fear you fight the tide, my friend. :slight_smile:

I’d love to know this, too but this isn’t the type of information most developers give out (though Sirrian sometimes surprises me).

Everything is relative. It really depends on the exact question being asked.

I’m in agreement with Jainus on this. Any system that is implemented under the assumption that the #31 guild is only mid-tier will be heavily skewed towards the end-game, heavily-driven, population of players.

Edit: I know that there are at least 4,115 guilds; there was a thread recently that showed that number as the breakpoint where guild rank became lower than the number of trophies earned. There are likewise no fewer than 30,000 players, since getting to PVP tier 1 every week – and no further – used to earn me about that rank by the end. And I am the most active player in my guild; if my experience is average there are 2-4 times as many casual players as regular players, and vastly fewer active players.

3 Likes

Total guilds is not important; total active guilds is what’s important and only the Devs know what that number is. Its certainly only a fraction of the total guilds but whether that fraction is 75% or only 5%, we have no way of knowing.

2 Likes

am i the only person who is still not sure when a person is counted as daily winner and when not? :sob:

@Sirrian

A person will get the daily winner bonuses if their guild wins the daily battle against another guild. At this point, everyone in the winning guild will get the daily win bonuses (seal and XP buff)

EDIT: Trying to explain it more clearly:

This is from Sneak Peak II

I’m going to assume that the guild the player is a part of is Sparkle Ponies.

So after Day 1, Sparkle Ponies beat Sith Lords, so for 24 hours every member of Sparkle Ponies will have the +50% xp buff, and get the 50 seals.

After Day 2, Sparkle Ponies lost to SHADOWHUNTERS, so every member of SHADOWHUNTERS will get the xp buff and the seals, and the members of Sparkle Ponies will lose their xp buff when the 24 hours from the first day expires.

Day 3 is still in progress, but assuming Sparkle Ponies does win (as they are currently doing), they will get another 24 hour xp buff, and more seals.

Hopefully that helps clear it up?

6 Likes

yes very helpful :smiley:

now to proceed with questions, does it mean the respective guilds Sith Lords and Shadowhunters were fighting back?

if not, what was the victory condition? a point treshhold?

if the guilds were fighting back, how are guild selections done? does it mean we dont get to choose enemy guild we are going to fight against?

I assume both guilds attack each other, and the guild that racks up the most points in their attacks win. (Worth noting that each day has a colour, which can affect the amount points you get). So on Day 1 Sparkle Ponies managed 140,881 points compared to Sith Lords’ 101,527, meaning Sparkle Ponies wins.

All the guild match-ups are decided on the first day (the day of rest that Sirrian mentioned)

2 Likes

hmm if we dont get to target specific guilds, rivalry will be very limited and a portion of guild war flavor will be missing

i mean normally there is slim chance that both guilds would want to target one another, so its either neither guild can target or they can target but then guild doesnt fight back…

I believe the matchmaking will be based upon the guild’s over all ranking in Guild Wars. So the teams at the top will more often than not fight each other. Rankings are adjusted each week based upon your guilds performance for that week. Though we’re still waiting for more information on the rankings side of things.

3 Likes

i hope guild leader will have at least a minimal influence on the matchmaking (if not specific, maybe choose: “easy” “medium” or “hard” type of enemies, while the actual enemies would be choosen by system?)

i mean it would be more fun to have some kind of control over this especially if indeed:

Which will be given to the same guilds that have been dominating the current lists just becaus they consist of 30 nolifers who play the game 24/7 lol.

2 Likes

My guess would be no, since it would require the guild master to be online the day before matchmaking is done. My guess is that you will be matched with a guild that is +/- 5 ranks from you, or something like that. The assumption is that if you are higher you “should” win, so the reward is slightly slower if you do, but if you’re fighting a guild higher than you the assumption is that you “should” lose, and so if you do win, you get a bigger increase for the upset.

In a perfect world every guild would be able to beat all the guilds lower than them 100% of the time. Now of course this will never be achieved, but that is what the system strives to achieve, which is why fighting higher rank guilds will push you further up the rankings.

@Sirrian has mentioned that ALL participating guilds will get the rewards, just that the higher rank ones will get more of them. So no one will miss out on the troops. The top guilds will just get them to mythic sooner. (which likely won’t matter too much if they are similar to guild guardians, but the debate on this has already been hashed out further up)

the problem may raise if one of the guild war units will be needed to proceed more magic bonuses, or in general the 3x stat bonuses - in such cases the top guilds that wil and unlock the 3x will keep on winning more with the bonuses, creating small wall between the 2x and 3x players

but i wont be too worried until i see the actual numbers on how many cards are distributed to how many guilds :slight_smile:

@Rasper already showed much earlier in this thread that one copy of a Guild War troop will be just as effective at getting new Kingdom Power levels as getting it to Mythic (assuming every new Kingdom launches with 8 Troops).

2 Likes

Small correction, the insignificant number was 4155 :stuck_out_tongue: (it was me who posted that thread).

True, so for what it is worth (not much), when I started my guild about a month and a half ago, I seem to remember the start rank was something with 18k.

I have no statistical data, but I can give my impression after working the ranks from 18k up to current 4k.

Very rarely has a guild over 10 members. I would say the huge majority of low-ranked guilds have 1-5 members, a few even 0. Once in a while there is a low-ranked guild with over 20 members.

Around rank 4k most guilds have reached the max member limit (30), but the big majority of guilds still have a single-digit number of members.

ADDED:
I looked at the 50 guilds from rank 4003-4052:

Members - Number of guilds
1-9
2-9
3-4
4-5
5-2
6-2
7-3

9-1

12-3

14-1
15-1

21-1

24-1

26-2

30-6

Only 12 of the 50 guilds have max-member lower than 30.

35 of the 50 guilds have less than 10 members.
Average is 9.09, but the 6 full guilds are pushing that number.
Median is only 4 (27 of the 50 guilds have 4 or less members)

7 Likes

Haha I was wondering why my text was bigger. I chalked it up to a “my post is short so they tried to fit it to one line”. Didn’t even notice the hashtag disappeared.

Learned something new!

2 Likes

It’s further complicated by the fact that on this board, it’s not a hashtag, it’s markup. Specifically, it makes

#huge bold text!

2 Likes

@Lun basically took the answer out of my mouth but to me, it comes down to whether or not you want to count the large contingent of guilds that actually aren’t guilds at all. Like 80% of all the guilds that exist aren’t even trying.

So while it may seem like #31 has much more in common with #3 than with #300, there’s such a wide gap (in terms of perception if not performance) between #3 and #31 that there’s no way you could lump my guild in with the real top guilds.

If that were the case, players wouldn’t be using us as a stepping stone to get to those top guilds.

2 Likes

Yeah and let’s not act like guilds that are lower than the top 100 are even on the radar(just being honest), and then you have a subset within the top 100 of who is actually active enough to qualify.

I mean that’s just truth. If you’re a guild below top 100, you’re either a guild that just started out or you fall under not active enough.

I mean I believe we’re getting to a place where the top 200-250 are active, as I’ve spoke about, but it’s taking time to build up. Guild Wars could help move that along faster though.

3 Likes