Gnoma-a-Palooza Changes

I sure would like the all-you-can-beat version of Gnome-a-Palooza returning for 24 hours on the next Gems of War Birthday, properly announced ahead and for all to participate. I guess one can dream…

5 Likes

Just my 2 cents here:

1. Between Forums AND in-game chat AND Discord AND however many streamers AND some other ways I probably don’t even know about, there was zero chance this was NOT going to be noticed. You have a better chance of going to the nearest ocean and trying to hold back the incoming tide with your feet.
  2. Devs did what I originally thought they were going to do: make it very difficult to find band gnomes during a GAP. Honestly, I’m surprised they showed up at all. THAT would’ve prevented any looping, period.
  3. The GAP is still great. People are acting like you cant stockpile verses for a double or triple run. Or next event even. You still have band gnomes dropping (and will drop, even when this event is over). Grinding rewards overall will be lessened slightly (as the only thing band gnomes drop are verses). But you can still join 4 into a 15 minute slaughterfest of gnomes, and the rewards from gnomes there will be slightly increased overall, since band gnomes will appear far less often. You can still get a huge boost in vault keys & other resources by playing a single GAP.
    3a) To expand further on this… It took me 45 minutes to grind enough to get a single GAP. In that time I found exactly 2 vault keys. In the first GAP I did, I got 12 vault keys & 3 epics. Those kinds of rewards for a GAP… HAVE NOT CHANGED!
  4. I understand people are frustrated that they did’nt get a huge windfall of resources. But it’s not as if it’s not happened before. Re: Treasure Gnome Introduction, Guardians introduction, Elspeth bug, ect ect. Can you guess how many of those I missed out?
17 Likes

I disagree. I haven’t gotten a verse in 4 hours and the 1 gap I managed to do gave me mostly soul gnomes. I have 7M souls already so those were pointless.

4 Likes

Soul gnomes have more health, and ya most people have a ton of souls so the rewards are pretty useless. They trying to slow down the quick farming inside the event. If you use slayer class though it is all meaningless. Just stop all the soul gnomes already!

Honestly I think that the fairest “fix” for the whole thing would have been to restart the event from scratch and roll back any loot from the event for everyone.

1 Like

At some point every kingdom will reach the requirement for 20 gold medaled troops. So, for 34 kingdoms that’s over 40M souls. Pretty sure they are not useless.

If you dont care about the requirements you can still use them to gamble with lower rarity medals to try to gold medal mythic troops. A member of my guild has around 15 mythic troops done this way

If I wanted to farm souls, I could farm souls. I got the 1M for DB in less than 2 days when it first came out. Events like GaP should be about useful treasure, not resources that may be needed at some indeterminate point in the distant future.

Eh. I played this game a year with global chat off, not using discord, not using the forums, and not watching streamers.

All of us here are the minority.

Agreed. My issue is they knew this ahead of time and released it as is, then nerfed later.

Agreed GAP overall is still good. The issue is still the devs knowing what would happen from the start, acting surprised, then nerfing. If the devs adjusted it before release, it wouldve had a positive reception I think.

RNG gonna RNG. It took me only a couple explore runs to get enough verses for my first GAP. Then, three hours later, I still couldn’t run a second. That three hours tells me the grind is far more than Im willing to do for only one GAP. It’s like pet gnomes. I need them but they take so long to find I dont really bother anymore.

6 Likes

I highly doubt they KNEW it would result in the looping, resource glut it turned out to be. More accurately, they were warned about how it could loop during preview streams, but trusted their drop rates would prevent it. That trust was completely wrong.

The lack of QA and forethought still manages to astound me.

Well, what’s the strategy now? On one hand, using GAP during Vault events is really helpful due to increased VK drop rates and pity keys. On the other hand, using GAPs during Vault event lowers your chances for gathering more GAPs. Eventually (depending on how many GAPs you gathered yesterday) you will run out of GAPs and be forced to normally grind during Vault events. My assumption is that the best strategy is to use GAPs during Vault events until you run out, then grind normally. Thoughts?

2 Likes

Basically, yes.

1 Like

Apparently beta testers told them it looped, so they knew unless they ignore their beta testers.

Many of us commented here on the forums and other places like discord about the looping potential.

Those of us watching the stream knew about the looping potential.

This. This is the issue. GAP now works how it should’ve. But the devs should have known ahead of time. My entire comment can just be boiled down to @NerdieBirdie’s.

I am thinking do enough GAP during vault weekend for the many pity keys. When you stop getting lots, save GAPs for later. Also, coordinate with your guild to use a GAP to start a pet rescue.

Curious what others will do too.

5 Likes

Good thought. Although, the drop rate for VK drops is still increased during Vault events, so pity keys aren’t the primary incentive.

Hmmm. I think I’ll follow your advice for now and see what others think!

1 Like

That is dangerous, I havent given it that much thought! :rofl: Discord may be more opinionated on this.

1 Like

THANK YOU. For some of us, we can’t help it. We have an irrational fear of missing out, so we have to take advantage of what we’ve been given, while it’s there. But unfortunately, I’m sitting on 284 vault keys and 18 epic vault keys just from day 1, and it’s insane.

1 Like

They didn’t catch the AI double-dipping on skulls and mana, they assigned a weapon to the wrong kingdom starting with ‘Dr’, they didn’t catch GaP not replacing Doom troops, they spelled Gnome-a-Palooza wrong on 3 separate occasions in official communications (including the title of this very thread, lol), they scheduled the event for Thursday, the 13th of July - which happens to be in …2023…, they goofed up the banner counter, they forgot to publish 5.6 on the Amazon Store, they chose to ignore feedback on GaP loop potential and so on and so forth.

:clown_face:

They just don’t spend time on reflecting, correctness or due diligence.

17 Likes

Ok so here is what I’m gathering from these 2 threads.

The looping thing was an unintended outcome by the devs thus making it a coding bug. They had plenty of warning ahead of time and didn’t/couldn’t fix it by the start of the event for whatever reason.

Players also had plenty of warning ahead of time that this bug would be a thing.

Some players chose willingly to exploit this bug knowing full well that it was, in fact, a bug.

In response to this, the devs decided to allow the players who chose to exploit a bug to keep their ill-gotten spoils and tell the players who didnt exploit the bug that they are just out of luck.

Well, this is a good precedent to set for the next big. I will keep this in mind.

2 Likes

No complaints on this nerf. Yesterday was crazy bonanza and it’s actually taken the frenzy down a notch! Still think GaP is a great deployment and crazily generous to get the vault keys and other goodies. Thanks to the Devs on this

2 Likes

I wouldn’t complain either if I had exploited a bug and gotten away with it.

2 Likes

It’s not a bug being exploited when multiple players literally said : “you know we can loop this, right? And that we can gather massive amounts of rewards?”

And the DEVS respond: “Yup! This is working as intended

So players who took them at their word aren’t exploiting cheaters, gtfoh with that nonsense

25 Likes