Global Mail Exploit (Banpocalypse đŸ”„)

Wow - way to own it! Dev’s fault that YOU exploited a bug more than 100 times? That’s rich!

So what? You deserve an exception because you spend money? I’ve said it a bunch of times and will repeat it again - VIP status doesn’t (and shouldn’t) give anyone special rights or privileges beyond the items or bonuses they specifically paid for & received. You bought stuff and it was delivered to you. End of benefit. You don’t get to wantonly cheat because you spend money.

The first 2-5 times could be accidental - hell, I’d even give someone up to 15 if they’re especially dense in the head. But over 100??? Come on now

Care to admit to how many times you “accidentally” redeemed the mail? :thinking:

I feel for the guilds that got screwed, but certainly not for those who got banned. No excuse for it.

21 Likes

You know what? I’ve changed my mind.

On reflection, I don’t have a clue how to run a games studio, and little idea of how to interact with customers.

I still think that exploits from bugs should be handled carefully and with a human touch. But I think the approach taken with this one is very fair. The players knew it wasn’t how the game was supposed to work, they’ve been punished, yet they have the opportunity to redeem themselves. And if similar exploits show up in the future, we will all know not to abuse them.

I think we should be thankful that our developers are so personable and as personally involved as they are. Compared with EA’s treatment of Anthem’s biggest streamer, and similar events with the big publishers, Inifinity Plus Two are just awesome.

6 Likes

It really is the correct decision. Most player agreements also state that actively abusing any exploit is considered cheating. Those people complaining about how this may affect Guild Wars, imagine there was an exploit that would consistently provide extra turns, meaning each battle would be an absolute win. It is necessary to be consistent in applying a ruleset, so if exploiting the gem thing would not lead to a ban, then neither should the above hypothetical Guild Wars bug.

The point is, exploiting anything that is clearly not intended as a feature gives a player an advantage over the other players. This behaviour needs to be punished. Given that the dev already decided not to ban players in the cases where they could roll back the players’ actions shows enough goodwill as is.

2 Likes

Actually I think that this is an example how not to handle such an issue.
A small timeline:

• Yesterday Morning CET. A Bugreport appears, saying that there is an exploit with the mail and you can get infinite gems.
  • A member of the forum replies, saying that he ping cyrup and kafka about this
  • I check the game, no bug. Fine. My browserwindow stays open with this page.
  • Some times later the bugreport gets deleted
  • A bit later the whole thread gets deleted.

I think fine, they resolved the issue (nijafix?). I restart my game to get the patch.

• Later that day I get this email again for the first time. (what? no fix?)
  • Play PvP and get this mail every time when I get a reward in my email (PvP defense, guild task on so on)
  • By now I have maybe collected this mail 10 time - I don’t like uncollected email.
  • Early evening a new bugreport appears, this time more detailed.
  • People start replying, some saying that the will exploit if after work on so on.
  • I check, the exploit still works
  • More replies, most are saying that they will exploit it, or somebody else exploits this.
  • I get a couple of beer
  • The whole thread gets deleted again!!!

So no warning, no response for a whole day with an economy breaking exploit. Nice.

Now I’m terribly angry (remember a couple of beer are involved by now).
I exploit it like hell and make sure that I spend the diamonds.

This is boring work by the way, but we are trained to farm for traitstones and here we have better rewards. In the end I may have collected something around 4000 diamonds. How somebody collects 70000 gems is beyond my imagination

Then the exploit silently ceases to work.

Today in the morning I get banned.

To make it clear for everybody: I did know that they have to ban me (I spend the gems deliberately) but the whole handling of this issue was totally inacceptable.

I mean this game is a lot about economy, having gems changes leaderboards and quite a lot have gained a massive amount of it.

What bothers me most: this is technically not cheating or something. There is no rule about not collecting your mail. We are trained to claim our rewards or they will disappear. This is an very obvious mistake by the developers. They had to acknowledge this officially and issue a warning that using this will get you into trouble. (remember there was something remotely like this with the Xbox store).

TLD: I’ll take my ban, I earned it. I’m very angry about the handling of this.

7 Likes

While I have no stakes in this issue, I’m not a fan of permabans in situations like these. It gives the people no chance to learn from their mistake to not do it again until its too late. Since they’re actually given a recourse to get unbanned, I’ve seen situations worse than these.

Personal preference, I think more of a 2 week ban + ill-gotten gems/troops removed would get the message across to most of them and a permaban for repeat offenders would suffice.

6 Likes

I opened it on purpose every time they sent not a Cheat they should be responsible for their end not my fault they can’t do their job I already had 627 troops didn’t really gain much from it not even a problem with taking my dollars somewhere else just with the absurdity of banning someone who has always played every game legit for opening their mail I did not actively seek this out it fell in to my lap not my responsibility to report their bugs if they would have done their job this wouldn’t be a problem they should eat it.

said perfectly same exact situation here

70,000 gems, that is some next level exploiting. XD

Exactly why we need 27/30 guild wars. Well, not just stuff like that, but for all the random things that can occur that cause a weekly guild penalty that is often beyond the guild’s control.

14 Likes

This isn’t worth arguing over. People who reel in 70k gems on a day should be banned, and it sucks for those guilds. End of story. Besides which, if it went into tasks, one might say they’ve been compensated already.

If we’re going to say there’s some bans being mishandled, lets look at the usual leaderboard nonsense, yeah? Y’know, the people with more PVP this week than I have in my recorded history or something
 don’t even get me started on the 50/50 W/L rate defenses that are impossible to lose to, what’s up with that?

2 Likes

First, I already had gems because I paid real money for them. I didn’t collect huge amounts of gems during the glitch. I collected them as I was collecting all my mail and every time I received notification of new mail. I didn’t realize there was a glitch until minutes before they fixed it. I happened to buy armor before the fix and got banned.

I agree with others that the punishment needs equality. Recoup from all or ban all.

If you’re banned, appeal. That’s your option. I appealed. I have several GoW accounts. If I am perma-banned over their mistake, I don’t have to play their game anymore and they don’t get to reap the hundreds of dollars I provide them each month. I will just have more money to spend on other games.

Fair.

5 Likes

my point exactly

1 Like

If players have been banned for spending their ill gotten gems, then those who had the the gems removed, should be banned also as they also used the exploit
You cannot steal something and not expect to get prosecuted just because you returned the stolen items
It would be extremely hypocritical to treat the offenders differently
I still think the ban is a poor punishment considering the problem was of your own making
Where is the quality control?..Is there no rigorous testing before content goes live?.
This is not how to run a business
Quality control is everything and it is severely lacking here.

6 Likes

Personally, I am not affected, but I am a guild partner. I’m going to inflate you to tickets until you return the account because: a) I do not hack the code. b) DO NOT hack the software. c) the fault is YOURS and only YOURS. d) a couple of weeks ago we have all seen someone as HACKING the code and did 4k jcj without losing, and what happened? NOTHING, you said “come on, friend, next time do not be so cheeky”. e) for the same crime some are condemning and others do not care about anything, that is PREVARICATION and in my country it is a crime. So I demand that you return the account

3 Likes

This is an example. We can all learn from this
 do not exploit in GOW! :rofl:

2 Likes

I agree.

Abusing a bug, knowing that it’s wrong and not intentional, should be punished to the maximum extent that the game allows. If I would be a developer, I would NOT lift a single ban, regardless of how silly and excusable appeals they may bring.

Of course, you still need to punish cheaters that abuse the Leaderboard.
Ban them as well.

• They violated the rules.
  • They got punished for it.
  • THE END.

There’s nothing else to discuss here.

7 Likes

where does it state in the rules you can’t open the mail they sent 1000 percent their mistake.

3 Likes

Cheating is cheating, end of. If you wish to do so in any way then be prepared for any consequences :+1:

6 Likes

How do you explain why a large majority of the offenders escaped punishment dispite using the same exploit?

4 Likes

I don’t like the way you say there was a way to claim multiple times wasn’t anything shady about no trickery or anything just open your mail and it was there out of 70000 gems only got 4 mythics I didn’t have pretty disheartening actually crazy that you ban the players who put money in the game and make your job even possible for a mistake on your end no matter how it was exploited sure take the gems they still have so the event’s aren’t messed up but to ban players because your developers simply can’t do their job is absurd even a real company like rockstar doesn’t ban actual cheaters on the first offense it was on your end your fault eat it I don’t even want my account back taking my money elsewhere hope this sinks your game shame on your company if they would have done their job never would have been a problem in the first place.

Yeah, I agree. But the handling process is confused and weird. Let talk about another thing, this is not the first exploit happened, another most recently exploit (released been a while and still not fully fixed!) There is a special situation that you can swap you opponent which you can easily beat them like a piece of cake. Yeah, here comes the results. It can be used for gold farming, it can be used for trophy hunting, annnnnnnnnnnnd, it can be used for guild wars on certain days! So now, tell me how to handle the those guys? Of course it will made someone get huge advantage not for himself but also for whole guild wars. And this exploit has been existed at least for several weeks or even more than that, several month, people report it, it still existed, after patching , partially fixed but still can be used on certain event and certain days. Exploit is totally different with hacking, the case should be carefully handled, that is my opinion. You can recover their data back to the time before the bugs appeared (at least Wed is fine) but ban decision is not appreciated. People report it and you ignore it or fix it not on time, then it will keep seducing people. I would say not all people are saint. And now you have different attitude or take different actions. I barely see the justice here. Like Christmas event , a cheater get the 1st prize orb, made the 2nd player feel totally frustrated even they have very closed score, but you refuse to compensate him losing reward due to he is a potential winner. Furthermore the cheater still alive now.

1 Like