Global Mail Exploit (Banpocalypse šŸ”„)

You guys are the reason itā€™s worth to visit these forums.

3 Likes

I think itā€™s time to close/lock this thread for good.

4 Likes

Seriously all itā€™s doing is fostering bitterness.

There are a lot of people here for whom ā€œif you egregiously exploit an infinite-premium-currency glitch, you will be permabannedā€ seems to be a difficult or unexpected concept.

Greetings. For your own future reference: this will also be true in every online game you play in the future, too. Shocking, I know, but thatā€™s how it works.

6 Likes

I will, as a precaution, buy spoils of war only 99 times and keep the keys for one year. That seems to be the limit

You are wrong with respect to this game though and this is the crux of the problem. In the past players have exploited bugs and poor design decisions and they have not been banned and in some cases nothing at all has happened to them. The issue that is justifiably being complained about is the consistency of the punishment handed out by the Devs.

I agree they should all be bannedā€¦ but I think they should ALL be banned or none of them banned, not this arbitrary split on who gets permabanned and who gets virtually no punishment at all.

1 Like

Iā€™m not talking about prior bugs or infractions at all - Iā€™m simply saying that this was an egregious, blatant cheat that produced infinite premium resources, and anyone who dived into it headfirst was obviously going to get banned. Thisā€¦seems pretty straightforward.

2 Likes

You are absolutely right. You only get one gift lol

This entire post should be banned. And the one that made this as well. She know better then too flaim the community. Bravo I say. So professional of you.

1 Like

Maybe Iā€™m missing something because itā€™s such a huge thread, but what evidence do we have that some kind of egregious infinite-gems cheater got off with no punishment? I feel like the only facts I know are:

• The devs picked a level of abuse that constituted ā€œunforgiveableā€ and everyone at or above that level is gone.
  • In case mistakes were made, an appeal process is available.
  • Nobodyā€™s successfully appealed.

If any of those are incorrect, this thread does a poor job of highlighting the problem.

If the problem is with ā€œthey picked a level at all instead of banning everyoneā€, I just donā€™t think that flies.

It seems like it wouldā€™ve been possible to accidentally get the gems a second time. If youā€™re particularly absent-minded, you might have even triggered it multiple times without realizing you were getting multiples. I sure would. That would show up in game logs as ā€œseveral repetitions with several hours between, correlating strongly with delivery of Legendary Tasks and other mails.ā€ Thatā€™s a rational explanation for ā€œI did it 6 timesā€. I get the feeling the vast majority of bans were people who spammed it 20+ times per minute. I really struggle to contrive an innocent scenario for that. ā€œI had a grand mal seizure and ended up tapping the phone in exactly the pattern to receive 4,000 gemsā€?

So until I hear a plausible story from a person I trust, Iā€™m left to assume thereā€™s not a very blurry line.

I agree that if you limit your thinking to only this one issue then you should correctly assume you would be banned for taking advantage of poor development. However, two things are wrong with that assumption:

1. Cheaters have not been perma-banned in the past for egregious offenses
  2. Some of the cheaters for this offense have also not been perma-banned.

So if I were to have taken advantage of this issue I would be wondering if I did it too much or just enough, I would think that the right thing to do would have been to walk the bleeding edge of getting free stuff but not enough of it to get perma-banned.

I disagree with the Devs making an arbitrary decision about what constitutes a perma-ban and what constitutes virtually no punishment.
From your list though its been shown in this thread that the appeal process is BS, someoneā€™s 11 year old appealed and was flat out told there is no appeals to the perma-ban.

For those who want to lock this threadā€¦

Otherwise, if the discussion is still civil-ishā€¦ Then you donā€™t need a mod to tell people they canā€™t talk here anymore. :person_shrugging:

8 Likes

As I said in another thread, I just ask you to have the same hard hand with the exploits we see in PVP absolutely every week

1 Like

The very moment that a guild wars bug produces an infinite supply of premium currency, and people immediately dupe and spend thousands of it, Iā€™m sure they will.

1500 gems should be sufficient. Since 1000 gems got people banned. :person_shrugging:

1 Like

Jumping in to say a few things.

1. We are confident with our decision, and have been drawing a harder line in general with our banning over the last few months.

2. As long as this thread stays civil, we will keep it open. I believe it is important for players to be able to voice their opinion, whether in support of us or against us.

3. This exploit was unfortunate, but we didnā€™t ban anyone that didnā€™t abuse it to excess.

9 Likes

You go girl! Donā€™t take no guff from them bankers!

4 Likes

But those pvp and gw cheaters. Wellā€¦

Silly man. We wonā€™t stand for much more of that.

5 Likes

Should Salty get banned too? :scream:

1 Like