Global Mail Exploit (Banpocalypse đŸ”„)

I like that the devs a drew a line in an attempt to rehabilitate and provide a warning to those who didn’t abuse it as much and where resources weren’t spent. I’d like to think those misguided souls won’t be doing it again in the future knowing what befell those on the other side of the line. I’m sure the same mercy won’t be shown them next time they show up on an exploit list.

Personally I’d have gone with the negative gem balance like others suggested instead of banning. It would have affected each person to the extent they exploited it. While coming back from a 1k gem deficit wouldn’t be that tough, coming back from 20k+ would mean a lot of missed event weapons & troops. I suspect a good number of those banned would have quit on their own rather than be at that terrible disadvantage for months. Hard to say for sure the benefit of the upfront loot from spending the gems would be offset by this though. I’ll bet the code prevents a negative gem balance however as a precaution against other possible issues.

As for the appeal process I imagine it was set up to create a safety net in case somehow they managed to ban someone erroneously. They had no intention of reversing 99% of the bans in the first place but they can probably review each account quickly for signs they may not have deserved the ban. If that cursory review didn’t show signs of an incorrect banning, appeal denied, period.

1 Like

Well if me and you made this post. What you think would happened. Locked to pieces

1 Like

You must be thinking of a different game :thinking:

All it’d take is some variable declared as unsigned and bam! 2^32 - 999 gems to exploit. Again.

The other post out there about the exploits and the bans is still not locked

Doubt it will get locked unless someone goes full metal solid in it

A flamy post it’s a flamy post.

That’s it

Nobody has said why trophies were taken away from guilds, punishing entire guilds, for the actions of 1.

Oh player X cheated someone out of a Power Gem or 1500 gems that would just go to a different player instead?
Goes to get wooden spoon to slap them on the hand
Now don’t do it again!

Now remember boys and girls
 hacking the game and then getting banned from it. Could result in second, third or fourth new chances with that same account. (Or other accounts)
But if you Exploit an Exploit (perfect description of the atrocitie) and then make it so that Exploit can’t be reversed
 You’ll be banned from the game
 permanently?

More fun facts:

• During the February Guild Wars at least 1 guild in bracket 1 used exploits to score more points thus resulting in more gems for those players. (Practically stealing it from their competition.)
  • At least one guild that was cheated out of gems was compensated with 100 gems.
  • The top 8 finishers in Bracket 1 in February, remained in Bracket 1 for the March Guild Wars.
  • Not a SINGLE player has been banned that used the Exploit to do better in guild wars than they usually would.
  • I have been told that the Exploit has now been fixed.
  • The top 3 in February’s Guild Wars and March’s are exactly the same. (Despite the “fix”)

I bet you my left :peanuts:
 If it was Guild Wars mail that was exploited
 they’d all been banned. But since the economy wasn’t changed due to the Exploit
 No punishment was given out to anyone in Bracket 1.

7 Likes

If you get banned your trophies go too.

@XLS78, to be fair I am at GDC and messaging on my phone around talks and meetings.

I am a bit confused by the people upset that exploiters were banned. It’s not like it was “Oops, we sent some people 10,000 gems instead of 10 gems. So, we banned them.” it was “these people went OUT OF THEIR WAY to exploit a bug to get a competitive advantage over other players”.

Sure, it’s inconvenient that your guild may have lost a player, but that player was a cheater. Letting them compete in the guild war with free max sentinel upgrades would be unfair to all the players who DIDN’T cheat.

2 Likes

The ones that are upset want to win at all costs. I don’t call that winning.

And you got your mind on your money and your money on your mind!

I’m guessing that was an autocorrect issue anyway - I shouldn’t have even pointed it out but I couldn’t resist. :wink:

1 Like

Yes. But they didn’t get banned for doing that. They got banned for spending their gems. While those who “cheated” got away with it so long as the devs could take the gems back.
If I rob a bank and the police catch me. I can’t simply just give the money back and expect them to say it’s all good then.
There used to be an Arena Exploit
 guilds/players did a record breaking amount of trophies during it.
Should those players be banned during guild wars?
No? Because their isn’t a competitive advantage?
Top players aren’t more likely to go to the top guilds rather than lower ranked ones?
What if a player had all the troops already, maxed their sentinels already
 What’s the edge then?

I can’t overstate how these bans didn’t effect me at all. Out of 150 members, not a single member was banned.

I just don’t understand the amount of shade thrown at those who got banned when we have no clue if one our guild mates did the Exploit but wasn’t punished for it.

They didn’t use software, they didn’t hack a code. If you (or anyone else) wants to call them a cheater then so be it. If someone cheats on their spouse, it doesn’t mean they cheat in games. I see the same difference in using an Exploit and just straight up cheating.
If there isn’t a difference. Then anyone who has broken the speed limit before is therefore a criminal. Anyone who has lied once is a liar. Ran cause you were scared? Coward. Gotten a skin infection? Skally Wag. Accidentally (or purposefully) took the life of an animal? Killer.
My point is
 labels are stupid
 judging is stupid
 And me trying to convince others of their convictions is stupid as well.

This whole thread is a huge call out
 But I guess it’s okay since the Players were banned?
The policy has always been “we don’t discuss bans” I guess unless it’s a mass amount?
This can’t even be justified as a warning. Whomever deleted bug Reports about it, should’ve also made a post warning players that exploits can lead to bans.
I’m not changing my mind about how this thread should n’t be locked. I’m questioning why it even existed in the first place.

5 Likes

“No but you don’t understand, it wasn’t because they cheated to get gems, they cheated to get gems AND THEN SPENT THEM”

This makes them more sympathetic
 How? All that means is that the people who were banned were people who not only used the exploit, but then ALSO actually benefited from the exploitation of the game by spending those cheat gems.

If anything, them not banning people who had not spent the cheat gems is them being lenient. It’s worthy of praise, not scorn.

3 Likes

What am I not understanding?

I should praise the people who Exploited the game but weren’t punished for it? Or the devs, who don’t punish all exploits. Just the ones that affect their economy directly.
Scorn the people who can’t play anymore, praise the ones who “cheated” she still can play. Got it. :+1:

1 Like

I feel like we’re arguing in circles. The claim above is that the devs deserve a bit of credit for not going crazy with the banhammer. They certainly would have been within their rights to boot everyone who abused the glitch. But they decided to roll back what they could, and only ban players who took the extra effort to make their exploitation hard/impossible to roll back. One imagines that this was an attempt to “scare straight” the people who might have tried to use such exploits next time.

Further, leniency shown by the devs meant less disruption to guilds in the middle of guild wars: fewer players were banned midweek. This absolutely should have earned some praise from people concerned about the effects on guilds.

4 Likes

It would of actually made it more fair.
Everyone who Exploited the game gets banned.
Instead, those who Exploited got off on the technicality of not spending the gems.
Yet, those who used Exploits in guild wars to get gems that they surely spent
remain unpunished.
It’s the greater overall issue of inconsistency when it comes to player bans that’s mind boggling. And it’s turning more folks off to the game than luring them in. People want to play under the same rules as everyone else. It’s human nature.

ALSO, I refuse to praise a company who originally made the mistake. Took ZERO responsibility for the bug. Just punished some of the folks who Exploited it. Then came here to brag about it.

4 Likes

If they used the exploit, but didn’t spend any of the gems, then it’s possible that they did not know what they were doing. The gems could be removed, and no harm was done to the game’s economy, and no advantage was had by the player in question over any other player. Rolling back the gems was a lenient and reasonable measure for these people. In the end it was no harm no foul.

For the players who exploited the bug, and then spent all their gems though? They definitely knew what they were doing, and they had gained benefits from those gems. Malicious intend is confirmed and a ban is appropriate. These people certainly knew what they were doing and have no one to blame but themselves.

Also, awryan, I can tell that you’ve clearly never touched a piece of code in your life if you think that it’s reasonable to expect the game to be 100% free of exploits. I can also tell that you’ve never read a TOS in your life if you think this is the first and only game to have ever banned someone for deliberate and malicious exploitation of bugs in an online competitive game.

2 Likes

awryan is salty that some exploits get punished more harshly than others, not that the bans happened at all. It seems there are exploits out there that get used in Guild Wars, but have gone unfixed and unpunished for a while. What makes collecting unearned gems from mail (by exploiting a bug to open the mail 100-7000 times) different from collecting unearned gems as a GW reward (by placing higher on the leaderboard due to these bugs/exploits)?

5 Likes

The exact same argument could be made in reverse.
If the players used the gems before the devs could take them, they probably thought the devs wouldn’t ban them. Where as, players who didn’t spend the gems used more caution incase the devs decided to take them back. They knew what they were doing was wrong either way.

Well, while we’re doing assessments based on a paragraph or 2. I think it’s safe to assume that either you, or one of your guild mates used the Exploit. But weren’t banned because of it because they took the gems back.
I don’t know code. You’re right. As 98% of the player base doesn’t know code but still can easily detect bugs. When something isn’t working right. It’s as obvious as knowing the difference between right or wrong.
And in the 2.5 years I’ve played GoW. I have witnessed all sorts of exploits occuring. THIS IS THE FIRST TIME a mass ban for it has ever been implemented. Or at the very least, a thread dedicated to those bans.
I don’t read ToS
 It’s super weird if you do. I know what’s right or wrong without a company telling me.
Despite my lack of interest in fine print
 I’m very aware of other companies banning players for using Exploits.
I had an issue with the timing of bans. Not the bans in general. They didn’t ban enough folks
 But I completely get why you would be grateful to them if you in fact used the Exploit but didn’t get banned.
Since the Exploit wasn’t even available to me. I get the luxury of sitting on a high horse and judging those who did.
Because essentially it’s super easy to judge those who cheat. When the option to cheat isn’t even available to them.
I don’t need a coding lesson to know people make mistakes. Nor does anyone need an ethics lesson to learn those with shame, shouldn’t shame others.
See what assuming :poop: does? Makes us both sound pretentious as Frank.

2 Likes