Gems of Streaming

I’ve read the various incarnations of this post as you wrote, edited, and then deleted them. I think this is about the most neutral tone you could strike while still conveying your message. :clap:

Edit to add: This does highlight the double standard that devs on the forums are held to; it is much more acceptable for regular forum-goers to be rude (intentionally or otherwise) than it is for developers. I shouldn’t be surprised to see the occasional slip-up, but I still am. (And if I’m being honest, Salty slipping up like that happens less frequently than issues with released content.)

Wait, what? Maybe I’m missing something here, I read the response as “Look, we all know our QA is a recurring disaster, I wouldn’t even dare to promise you two days without any critical blunders”. Which actually feels quite accurate and refreshingly honest.

4 Likes

In the US (possibly preaching to the choir, here), the phrase “don’t write a check your butt can’t cash” almost always applies to the other party making claims they can’t achieve. Re-reading it, Salty’s intended meaning was likely more along the lines of “we don’t want to promise anything we can’t deliver”. This would definitely be less inflammatory, and an unfortunate collision between phrases with similar wordings.

3 Likes

I was making a joke at our expensive, not at the expense of any players. I apologise if that didn’t come across, and I thought you would have understood my intentions better seeing as I do poke fun at us every now and then.

I was saying it in the vein of, “I don’t want to make promises we can’t keep,” but did it in a cheeky and fun way. Or so I thought! I will attempt to not make jokes of this nature in the future, as I don’t want to cause anyone distress or be misinterpretted.

So, to be absolutely clear, I was not trying to offend anyone, or “spit” on you. In fact, I am surprised that my comment was taken in that manner, especially considering the nature of my job. I’m feeling a little hurt to be hoenst with you, and I hope that you see now that this was a misunderstanding.

10 Likes

Grundulum’s making me think there could be a difference in how the phrase is used between our countries, and given that plus this discussion I’m cool. That’s why I kept coming back and editing it to try and emphasize more “I feel like you told me this…” than “I’m going to be angry”.

I could descend into how I read it (the wording is strange to me) but I think it’s more in line with this thread and my current feelings to say instead it’s more fun to talk about feelings than act on them and easier to clean up, this is a thing I’m still learning.

I read a summary of the stream, I’ve been way too busy lately to see it. 4.8 sounds interesting, the way I interpret the new events sounds like it could bring us a lot more variety per week than the events we have, while also letting the devs avoid some of the less fun matchups we’ve been subjected to.

The part about the new event-specific medals was so weird I want to play with it to see how it feels. I tend to set high expectations if I set expectations at all so instead I’m just going to see what I get and set my expectations based on that.

I’m nervous about the plans to have more weekend events. I feel like those are the ones players resent the most because that’s the most precious time slot in terms of scheduling. But like the medals, that’s going to hinge mostly on how the time/reward ratio plays out. My cynical guess is it will be “slightly fewer rewards for the same effort” as that seems to be the pattern. But as I’m about to be devoured by Animal Crossing: New Horizons, I’m not sure I’m going to be particularly bothered.

hoo boy, over here’s it’s the person writing the cheques that’s the subject… so Salty writing cheques that you can’t cash means she’d be making a promise she can’t keep for you. ie you take her cheque to the bank and they can’t give you the money cos SHE doesn’t have the money. Because we don’t cash cheques we wrote ourselves, we cash cheques other people wrote for us. I did a google and it looks like in America it means you’re saying the other person doesn’t have the money to back the cheque. Unexpected cultural differences, English is hard :scream:

Jokes aren’t funny when you have to explain them, bad @Saltypatra :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy:

I know I’m just piling on here, but I have to because trolling Salty is what I do.

11 Likes

Very! Since you invited it, here’s the US end of it.

Typically we’d write it, “Don’t write a check you can’t cash.” (Why did we change how the word’s spelled? Yet another weirdo English cultural quirk. One of my favorite rap lines is, “I’m taking you out like the American spelling of ‘colour’”.) The sense of the phrase is you are accusing someone of boasting accomplishments they can’t achieve.

I see now it was inverted and I think you explained it pretty well Kafka. I see how the nouns are arranged but the weird thing about idioms and metaphors is once I made the mental connection to the phrase it was the only way I could interpret it. The more tragic thing is one can be completely unaware of those connections when speaking the same language.

I’m convinced there was a misunderstanding here and I’m happy that’s the explanation. I think what I have learned as a person is if I get in the same situation I’m going to try a DM first.

4 Likes

I find these differences all the time being an Aussie working in an American dominated market when it comes to gaming in English but even after 10 years of this I still get surprised by the differing ways we use English and some of the cultural differences I encounter.

It’s caused some issues, some funny things, some interesting conversations and allowed me to appreciate some of the uniquely Aussie things I didn’t think were unique to us at all :slight_smile:

6 Likes

After reading both versions, I must admit the Australian version makes a lot more sense about who is cashing the cheque, and who is backing it. Thanks for the education lesson.

As for weekend events, I’ll wait and see. As they are now, I only use free sigils on Hero Class, I rarely have more than 12 Vault Keys during Gnome Weekends, and the blank weekend doesn’t factor. The Delve Weekend and Bounty Weekend do limit how much time I can devote to doing Dooms, but don’t impact GW, and I don’t care much about Invasions and Raids.

So currently, I’m fine 3/5 of the time, but last week I felt guilty for putting my Bounties ahead of my Guild’s Dooms. Thankfully, I’m in a more casual Guild, but I did feel selfish while they pursued the final reward tier.

Just like we use s instead of z, we spell cheque the English way. Check is reserved for confirming you have something, or confirming you did something. “I already checked over there!” “I’ll write a check list!” Or even to leave something behind, like “checking in baggage.”

Since check already has so many uses that mean different things, we use the spelling cheque to differentiate it more clearly.

1 Like

Clearly a word with a chequered past

7 Likes

Don’t write a check you can’t cash… is a cliche from the 70’s.

It means stop talking shit you can’t do.

2 Likes

I think this whole off topic has been about being too sensitive about obviously unserious comments.

1 Like

Oi! Today is the Monk Class preview stream. See you at 6 30 PM PST!

2 Likes

Here are your next four streams!

2 Likes

Unless you’ve finally successfully cloned yourself, I think one of those needs a date update. Unless you actually found a way to do two streams at once? :grinning:

2 Likes

Is it true that on the stream it was announced the patch would be out tomorrow?

Nope! (10 chars.)

4 Likes

Event specific medals? :scream:
As in medals that can only be earned during this event, or for this event you’ll be wearing specific pre-set medals? I really hope the latter.
I’m never in any position to watch a stream, so if someone could summarize that would be lovely :heart:

Based on the beta, so specifics may have changed:

In the shop and as part of reward tiers, you can get event-specific tokens. They give a (significant) bonus during the event, and then convert 1-to-1 to a generic token/badge/medal at a specific tier afterward.

1 Like