Gems of Streaming

As a guess, changing the trait involves changing the trait text. Which means sending out new text to all of the translators 505/I+2 contracts with, and waiting for the turnaround. I hope we can receive some insight into their process, because as you said this situation isn’t a great look for them.

2 Likes

Even when this is the case, the reason why such a thing happen when they have play testers is ridiculous. No one in the play test team realize the third trait is the same as a lvl 1 talent? Or even the play test team didn’t receive the final version of the class, like they have to play test without all the talent tree?

4 Likes

The only reason I can think of for the existence of this trait, is for defense teams to break the ai’s storm/chain
But for offense, it’s a huge hinderance, especially since using it on offense is the only way to level up the class

I’m just trying to figure out why anyone would design this at all, and that’s all I can come up with

I think they just kind of roll the dice on what talent tree a class have

1 Like

Talent tree is not the real issue, it’s the fact that third trait is not unique and several classes already have this same exact trait (including this new class) as a level 1 talent.

6 Likes

Regardless of the talent and 3rd trait being the same.

Show me where in any “design precedent” where a third trait of a hero is the same as a talent level 1 for any class.
It simply looks like no one could come up with a better idea for a third trait. So they literally said Frank it.
Even the talent levels that come close to a third trait of a hero class are valued at 100 on a talent tree. Such as:

There are some classes with under powered third traits. But they are from a time when the game was still at it’s infancy.
As far as I know it’s a pain in the rear to change the traits for hero classes.
@Sirrian over the course of Gems of War there’s been a lot of divisive decisions made. But none of them have ever been looked at as a complete joke to most of the community. So please do whatever it takes to get the third trait of Stormcaller changed. My suggestion would be to give all Stryx allies 50-75% Mana at the start of battle. Stryx have to be one of the least used troop types you have in the game. My suggestion would help change that. Whatever ramifications are caused by the change will pale in comparison to what a stain Stormcaller will cause, perception wise, in regards to the intelligence of your designers. Even if you have to push the class back a month to implement the change. It’s worth it. You’ve done it before due to copy right issues. Well…this would be a “balanced right” issue. :grinning:

15 Likes

Stormcaller really needs an interesting 3rd trait otherwise at the rate its going, Stormcaller is going to be a WORSE Tidecaller in nearly every way. Like even the name is lazier than it needs to be.

Class Tree spoilers

Storms, Life, Wind

Lv. 1:
Chaos Storm : Summon a random storm on 4 or 5 Gem matches.
Wind Shield : Gain 8 Armor.
Resilience : Gain 8 Life.

Lv. 5:
Mace of Power : Gain 2 Magic if using a Mace.
Purification : Cleanse myself on 4 or 5 Gem matches.
Precision : Gain 2 Magic if using a Missile.

Lv. 10:
Thunder Fist : All Yellow Allies gain 1 Magic.
Fast Healing : Recover 2 Life every turn.
Wind Speed : All Yellow Allies start battle with 10% Mana.

Lv. 20:
Storm Aura : Create a duststorm at the start of a battle.
Fey Vengeance : Faerie Fire a random enemy when an Ally dies.
Celestial Currents : All Centaur allies gain 1 Magic.

Lv. 40:
Titanic Surge : All Giant Allies gain 1 Life and Magic.
Healing Herb : Gain 4 Life when matching Green Gems.
Gale Force : All Yellow allies gain 2 Attack.

Lv. 70:
Lightning Strike : Explode 1 Yellow Gem on 4 or 5 Gem matches.
Nature’s Will : Gain bonus Green Mana from Green Gem matches.
Child of Sky : 25% chance to summon a Heronath when an ally casts a spell.

Lv. 100:
Lord of Storms : Elementals gain 1 Magic when an ally casts a spell.
Eternal Summer : All Fey Allies gain 2 Life every turn.
Stryx Commander : All Stryx allies gain 1 Attack every turn.

Purification and Lightning Strike, with the rest being complete throwaway. Tidecaller also has Purification, a 3rd trait that functions like Lightning Strike, and can start with 50% mana as well as other useful abilities like Freeze a random enemy at the start of battle

2 Likes

In truth this ‘being released in a useless state’ happens constantly in this game with both troops and weapons, which are far harder to obtain than classes. This happens no matter whether they’re mythics (see: grosh-nak) or doomed weapons (see: the non-doomskull versions), and the response from the dev team has always been the very same.

I’m not sure about why were you all expecting new classes, which are also released monthly, to get special treatment? Most stryx troops have been useless since release, and the class follows the same general pattern unfortunately… Add it to the evergrowing pile of uselessness and hope for better luck next time :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Because 1/34 classes is a lot different than 1/727 troops and 1/266 weapons.

It is true that changing any text in game means that it needs to be run by our translators, which takes time and money.

I might have something to announce, but you’ll have to join me on stream. :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

Such a tease! (If it is good news, thank you for liaising between players and coders. If it isn’t, then you’re an even bigger tease.)

2 Likes

Tease is my middle name, but only in the PG 13 way.

2 Likes

Devs said in the last Q&A that they will look at the Hero classes released before the Talent update (like Warlord, Priest, Knight, etc.).

Maybe they are not do anything because of the usual so-so reason: “there is surely some players who like these crappy 3rd traits and who will be disappointed if we change them”…

Huzzah! The 3rd trait has been changed to something useful!

Spoilers

Trait #3: Storm Soul
Conjure a Lightstorm when my turn begins.

14 Likes

Our effort have make it through, let celebrate, brother

1 Like

As with many traits this can be good in some builds and an active hindarance for many others. Which is something in general that bugs me about traits, sometimes you really wish you could disable them.

But hey, in the right build it has potential and it’s not redundant :slight_smile: and that is a step up from what it was.

2 Likes

Shouldn’t that be “Create a Lightstorm at the start of every turn”, similar to how Umberwolf is worded? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes

You’d think so, but ask Daughter of Ice. shrug. A uniform text update will be a good qol change.

Had a chance to think about this 3rd trait.

I actually really like it.

There’s one small problem though. This Stryx hero works counter-intuitive with any other actual Stryx that attempts to create a storm with its spell. I don’t really care about a Stryx only team, but this limits the use of quite a lot of them.

4 Likes

Sunspear is considered by many people to be one of the best classes and it has the same trait but with red instead of yellow.

I think the same analysis should apply to Sunspear as well, despite that, and so is still valid.

If Sunspear could disable (toggle) its perma-Firestorm, it would only gain utility/versatility, marginal though it might be.