Garbage PvP IMO, let's discuss!

I’m enjoying the pvp changes a lot more than I thought I would. Of course, I have to say that I’m not cursed with the lag issues that some have reported. I’m sure that makes some difference.

There is room for some tweaks, sure. However, so far I really kind of like it, and I had my torch and pitchfork ready to go! haha

Check this week’s Leaderboard…many top players around Lvl 2000 and above…hardly see anyone around Lvl 1000. So it seems to work just fine. Besides which I hear there are more than one player playing on some accounts (like husband and wife team) which makes competing ridiculous anyway as 1 player cannot compete against 2 since duration of play is a major factor in this PVP.

The score per battle is the metric that matters, you will see that the ~1500’s are getting the same score in significantly less battles than the 2000+. For those trying to push the global leaderboard its already an issue, but once the leagues get sorted out (assuming the devs actually want them to be filled by active players) this scoring will affect everyone, not just pushing for the top 3 rewards, but also to not get demoted.

Currently on the xbox leaderboard in 6th place is a level 2042 with 126,153 points over 2023 battles and 7th place is a level 1538 with 111,109 points over 1243 battles. The level 2042 is averaging 61.9 VP per fight and the level 1538 is averaging 88.6 VP per fight. The higher level player in this situation needs to do about 45% MORE fights to have earned the same amount of score. This was the most clear example i could find, and for those under level 2000, it wont be THIS drastic, but for those over 2000, it only gets worse.

This is an exaggeration of the issue that most people will experience in their league, but the level 2000+ people will definitely feel it. If you are lower than level 1500, you can pretty consistently reach goal 20 with your number of fights in the low-70’s, but a level 2000 player will probably need more than 100 fights. Not a huge difference, but it is noticeable and will be worse for people who actually want to go for promotions / top-3 rewards. Especially for those experiencing the lag i see so many people talking about.

Being a higher level should not force you to have to play harder to get the same rewards as others. If you have the time to spend in the mode, you should be rewarded accordingly. A simple change to the scoring or the available fights would go a long way. The far right fight could just be a guaranteed higher level than you, or they could base the scoring on team score instead of player level difference, or they could just base it on opponents level (not the difference between yours and theirs). Any of those would even out the playing field significantly.

Im level 1483, which is on the low end, there is almost always a fight for 70+ VP for me, with 90 VP being relatively common, but i can see how this is absolutely terrible for those who have already invested more time than i have in the game. I would absolutely despise this update if most of my fights only gave 25 VP.

10 Likes

I’d also like to add that with all the existing loopers it’s very possible for a level 1200 to beat a level 2100 player. It takes a little longer but more extra turns also get rewarded.

Also, rope dart exists for yellow and blue which makes those much easier.

2 Likes

The game would already know the team composition of the defenses and be able put them from 1 trophy as the lowest to 3 as the highest, same as how PvP was before. Always play the 3 trophy battle and you’re assured to get the best outcome available per match.

The trick is to build a team power metric based on the status of the cards used. Base rarity, level, number of active traits, elite level, shiny level, and possibly number of unique troops and whether or not the hero is used. Feasiblity or effectiveness of the actual team composition shouldn’t matter to the “Team Power Score” at all IMO, but it would be easy to do this as well by adding a nomialized multipier to scale individual troop power up or down as the devs see fit. (example: a heavy hitter like zuul’goth could have a 1.2 multiplier since it’s generally always dangerous, where as a joke mythic like Fallen Valdis or Sacred Treasure could be 0.5.)

I think it would make PvP pretty interesting since it incentivizes you to use as weak a team as possible and still win…

Hmm, there would also need to be league restrictions on the rarity and level of troops you can use as well, to keep people from gaming the calculation with level 1 commons and such. The limitations could increase with higher leagues, until it requires fully traited and leveled mythic troops. Maybe even fully medaled or (in the far future) full shiny with the highest league.

That’s quite a drastic rebuild for something, that is only a score imbalance at this point. Might be something to keep in mind for updates in future years, but solving the current troubles may be a little too pressing to program all of this.
If they want to fix it as quick and easy as possible, my suggested patchwork until a proper change can be made would still be to reduce the base point gap from 25-90 to 45-75 (with the 35 bonus points unchanged for now). That should be possible to do within minutes when they are back in january.

1 Like

if anything, the cap should stay 90 and the bottom should just be brought up, it already takes what? like 3-4x as long as old pvp IF your getting the high points. But yea changing those two numbers should be something that is VERY quick and easy to do (would also be hilarious if it somehow breaks something else too).

1 Like

As was said I don’t think we want to go nerfing the top score, bringing up the lowest scored to smallen the gap is the way. It’s already way more draggy than the old version so can’t see this logic in making that worse did more people

A drastic rebuild is what’s needed. There’s no fair way to make scoring balance changes based on player level since actual stats can vary by a large amount depending on what efforts the player has put into gaining permanent stat boosts. It’s quite easy to power level into the 1200-1300 range now with low stats, thanks to the increasing amount of self-looping teams.

The imbablanced PvP scoring has existed as is since I started playing in 2017, and it’s the reason I’ve mostly abandoned PvP since 2019. The only reason I’ll touch it now is the free weekly book of deeds.

But make no mistake, the “new” PvP is just the old PvP with the veneer of a shop and team restrictions. It’s just a pig with makeup, but it still has that old PvP stink. Nothing will change without a full overhaul. Though, I don’t expect anything will ever change, but I think something like my idea above would be a good way of accomplishing it.

2 Likes

I don’t think you can even call it PvP. The old version actually had a player element to defence now there is zero. Can’t remember even seeing a hero in any recent battles.

It’s broken, only Central Spire is working in that regard.

1 Like

How exactly do you propose to overhaul this? Because for as long as there is a 7-day competition people will just get multiple players (family, friends, kids) to play on their accounts. UNLESS it becomes restricted to a certain number of battles like Guild Wars…

There is a limit to the madness. At some point, it makes more sense just to work a regular day job with a minimum wage and pay the $20 over 2 days for the book, than to farm excessively for 1 week for the same equivalent.

2 Likes

Ah I get it now…slow to catch on. It is not a limit to the madness, it is a purpose to the madness…to get players to spend more, of course.

2 Likes

I played Puzzle Quest 3 recently, and it limits your number of daily PvP battles, with the number of battles increasing as your league climbs higher (I think.) When they said a big PvP update was coming in gems, I was expecting somthing like that.

Because pet gnomes come from PvP (I can’t even count Arena as a source of pet gnomes for obvious reasons), I’m really glad PvP isn’t limited in that way.

There’s a region of player level ranges where the current PvP weighting in terms of VP on offer kinda works, quite probably somewhat like it was intended to throughout. For instance, most active players around 1000 vs levels 1600-1800+ have far, far less at their disposal to deal with the opposing team. What they lack in power and options they get back in rewards. The higher level player here gets to quickly and efficiently despatch the opposing lower level teams due to their range of options and power advantages. That all seems fair enough.

Trouble is, this all falls apart when that same kind of player level range offset is taken into the higher reaches, where there’s far less difference to any meaningful stats other than time played.

As a lower level player who has 90VP matches on tap, even I can appreciate that there needs to be a consideration taken into account the higher higher player levels go, in order to taper off the ill effects of this mechanism that seeks to level the playing field in terms of earning VP for some yet ends up absolutely ruining it for others. Maybe it needs hard/fixed breakpoints at certain player levels? Whatever it involves, the effects of it need to tail off and flatline above a certain point so that very high levels are not having to do twice twice the work vs others merely just “high level” who are not nearly half as effective at earning VP when they have practically the same toolset and stats bar time played.

Or maybe this whole wonky league system with non-symmetrical groupings and iffy incentives/rewards needs a huge rethink.

2 Likes

the way i see it just have set VP for each match 50, 65 and 80. that way everyone gets the same spread of points.

Disagree that PVP is “garbage”. The new concept is much better. Its not perfect but is a significant improvement on the previous iteration.

That being said, as a high level player at 1750, I do agree with the point about having low VP battles. In my opinion there should always be at least one battle around 85-90 points.

4 Likes

Higher level players like you and myself win quicker so that’s why less points. The lower level folks win slower and likely have harder time even making near as good a team due to restrictions and them missing troops and weapons.

1 Like