Dusk Sets on Krystara (AKA The Dawnbringer Fix)

People only express happiness if they’re really happy inside. Otherwise they tend to post “meh”, “could be better” comments. It’s human nature, deal with it.

You can’t expect people to get happy right here, right at this very moment, just from hearing some news, do you? They need to come home after a long day, make a cup of coffee, turn their PC on, play Arena, enjoy frustration free gameplay, and only after that you can expect happy comments.

Comments you’re seeing now (meh and such) - these people are in their usual mundane “meh” state, give’em some time, happy comments will appear much later on GoW Steam page or Facebook, Twitter and so on.

2 Likes

Seriously. There’re some unappreciative bastards around here. o.O

Thank you to the devs for resolving this community hot-button issue.

6 Likes

“Oh no now Arena is too easy for my tastes, if only there were a mode where I face player teams with traits and levels for higher rewards per match and, in theory, more rewards per unit time. I hate when a change benefits a player group that isn’t specifically me, especially since this dude broke into my house, held a gun to my head, and said if I play any mode other than Arena and Treasure Hunt he’ll shoot.”

13 Likes

I expected the same and I’m disappointed there isn’t. Last time I checked there was a 6 month old thread with over 500 replies and several other newer threads complaining about DB. I just started playing again last week on my low level account and wasn’t going to bother coming back to the forums but when I saw this I had to come back and thank the devs after all the complaining I did.

Now that arena has been fixed hopefully they will do something about the lack of variety in endgame pvp and I can use my level 1200 account again. PvP at level 300 is actually quite fun when I don’t have to fight the same team over and over again.

Difference is for low levels arena was unplayable after level 200 because of Dawnbringer and it was boring to fight it for 5 or 6 out of every 8 battles at least with raids and invasions there are guilds where they optional. The guild I’m in now Hoguns Paladins doesn’t require members to do raids, invasions or guild wars.

1 Like

I am more than happy they have fixed it.

Also RE: “Why not fix PvP first?”

Over the 6 months that we’ve talked about Dawnbringer in Arena, most people settled on exactly this solution as what the players wanted. It’s a teeny bit different, but has the same spirit. Further, it was very clear there would be a solution that hurt nobody. Part of why the thread stuck around was this notion of a clear, actionable, (presumably) amicable solution that would make us happy. And we got it.

Ask 10 players what’s wrong with PvP and you’ll get 12 answers. Any fix you suggest for PvP makes some group of people happy and some other group of people so mad they’ll quit. Nerf this troop and it’s someone’s favorite and they hate you forever. Add a feature like Doomskulls and people are going to be cheesed off the game changed. One of the most commonly-complained-against meta teams has involved Queen Mab for the same six months we’ve talked about Arena, and it’s contained Dawnbringer for all of 2018. You want to argue for nerfing those? Have fun, I don’t think you’re going to get player support.

We nerfed Kraken. Twice. We nerfed Trolls. We nerfed Nyx. We added more immunity to mana abilities in the form of Ancestry traits. These are all the easy solutions the playerbase clamored for. I still fight Nyxbringer 30-40% of matches and I still face situations where Queen Mab destroys my entire team over 8 free turns via Nyx/Troll and leaves me bleeding from 12 orfices in a sewer. As players, it doesn’t look like we’re very good at suggesting fixes for PvP.

Me, personally? I don’t like nerfs. I like “releasing new, powerful troops so there are more choices”. I’ve been suggesting troops that harm the opponent when extra turns are taken for a long time. I think that’s a more clever solution to Nyx than “Uh let’s cap her at 12 mana, there’s no way she’ll take 3 turns in a row, right?” I’m not even making fun of the devs there, that’s stupid player logic speaking. Here’s a Nyx fix described in a trait:

When the opponent matches more than 8 gems, deal 3 damage to all opponents, boosted by the number of gems greater than 8 matched. (2:1).

Eat that, Queen Mab teams, right? Eat that, Ishbaala spam, right? No one likes this, and that’s indicative of why we’re not fixing PvP. No one agrees on a fix.

In short: I don’t think there’s a clear, actionable solution for PvP like there was for Arena. If you think there is, you can thank the Arenacrawlers for drawing your blueprint for action. It’s really easy to get the devs to change a game mode:

1. Make a thread about a clear, easy solution to the problem.
  2. Convince a large portion of the players to like it.

Go for it! I’ve got some popcorn and I always try to pitch my hat into a thread with what I think is a good idea.

I’ve got some other ideas for this but they make a nicer separate thread.

3 Likes

You make zero sense :slight_smile: Good for you bud! I’m just saying everyone’s complaining made it now so easy where no one will ever lose now.

4 Likes

“Oh no I’m so upset that it’s easier to win more in a mode that’s explicitly designed to be a break from facing high-synergy teams, now my trophy farming will be even faster.”

Seriously, all I’m doing is pushing the quote button and typing 10 characters.

6 Likes

You sound like you’re also 12 years old. I’m sorry :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m happy for the change, it won’t make me play more Arena, but it’ll put all players mostly on the same terms when facing oponents with higher levels/progression. And players who created the weapon can still benefit from it.

2 Likes

Re fixing pvp, I posted many ideas on this over the last few years…

Here are two of my finest:

Speak for yourself. I play a few runs per month based on the Daily Task, but I actually lost one battle against dawnbringer since the weapon was introduced. It was my first 7-1 Arena run in a year or two, and caused me great inconvenience to have to restart for the 8-0 :wink:

Yes. I’m very glad for everyone, and the ban threads can stop now (or more accurately move to another aspect of the game). :wink:

2 Likes

SOOO GLAD to see this VERY rational solution implemented!
I am now more motivated then ever to bash in troops with my double Ra Farm Team!!! :grin:

Only 300k to go!!

You found a way to allow those that have worked for it to benefit without spoiling a game mode for those just coming up the ranks. This is easily one of your best fixes. Thank you devs for doing what’s best for the game!

:hugs:

12 Likes

I haven’t touched Arena since I got my own DB. Don’t really know how defence teams are picked, but I didn’t want to risk infecting the pool.

3 Likes

Glad to see some more appreciative posts here by now. :grinning:

Yay, we will be guildmates starting next week then. :hugs:

1 Like

I have to admit I’m simultaneously happy about the changes (and I’d be even happier if the troops released in the last months were made available in the arena), and a bit wary that they’re taking place so close to a new patch release… Makes you wonder.

I also wish they change the pvp system but i guess it will never happen, unless we create 100 threads about it

I agree with you, 100%

This is a silly conclusion. It’s like being jealous/bitter that one issue was addressed while other was not instead of being happy, or (at least indifferent) that one issue was addressed and now something else can be fixed/reworked.

If you reading my other post you will see im not jealous . I don’t play arena but happy for the people who thought DB was a problem. I think you made your own conclusion about that

3 Likes